Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Bee stories on NPR today  (Read 11925 times)

Offline winginit

• House Bee
Bee stories on NPR today
« on: July 19, 2010, 03:51:50 pm »
Found the headline story on "Healing Honey and the New Queen Bee(keepers) to be okay, even if it did hit home. I enjoyed the video on "Is Honey Good Medicine or Just a Sweet Treat" a lot more.

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=128574280

In the video, it says that when substituting honey for sugar, the following rules apply:
1 cup sugar = 1 cup honey
Reduce oven temperature 25 degrees
Reduce liquids 25%.

But another site I just checked said that because honey is sweeter than sugar, reduce it a bit. I can't wait to get baking!

Offline annette

• Galactic Bee
Re: Bee stories on NPR today
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2010, 04:24:24 pm »
Driving to work today, I turned on the radio just as this program was coming on.  They spoke about how women are becoming beekeepers in very large numbers. Of course, I screamed "Yeah Baby", you got it.

Very interesting program.

Offline AllenF

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2010, 06:26:46 pm »
"Urban women" I believe.

Offline annette

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2010, 06:31:43 pm »
  I'm "rural" :cindi:

Offline Paynesgrey

• House Bee
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2010, 08:24:18 pm »
Is this a result of the "queen bee" promotions through state & local bee clubs? Or have those been going since the 30's?

If we are trying to get more young men also involved in beekeeping should we have er, King Drone competitions? Maybe not....Somehow lacks the same appeal....

In seriousness, I have talked to a number of young women who are interested in beekeeping from the scholarship aspect of it - cash assistance for college etc. 

To what are they attributing the increase?  Grants/small business loan programs targetting women entrepeneurs into traditionally male dominated fields?

Offline FRAMEshift

• Super Bee
« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2010, 12:48:16 am »
"Urban women" I believe.
Yep.  Young urban women.  I'm an old rural male... but I think this is great.  It's going to shift some frames of reference in the beekeeping world.  These new beeks tend to be more interested in natural beekeeping without pesticides and antibiotics.  As the NPR program mentioned, they are also part of an urban "local foods" movement which we are seeing in North Carolina.  Farmers' Markets, health food stores, and direct honey sales to friends and neighbors.  And higher prices for honey made by untreated bees.    The Certified Naturally Grown program is growing among beeks here as well.
"You never can tell with bees."  --  Winnie-the-Pooh

Offline Scadsobees

• Galactic Bee
  • Best use of smileys in a post award.
« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2010, 10:30:54 am »
I heard that story on the radio too.  I enjoyed it and thought it very interesting.

Until they got to the end and started to talk about CCD and what causes it and they went through the list of possible effects and threw in global warming.  :roll:  :roll:  :roll:  Oh bother.  Must be an obligatory NPR thing.
Rick

Online Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2010, 11:01:40 am »
NPR is the voice of the left side of the govt.  always has been.  it's another thing we should not be paying for.

seems like there are more women on here now.  maybe they have just found this site?  it would be interesting to know......
Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

Offline AllenF

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #8 on: July 20, 2010, 05:56:21 pm »
I listen to NPR every morning going to work.   I know every one talks about how left NPR is, but on the big political stories, they do interview both sides of a story.  Now it may be one side one day, and the other side, the next day.   But I think they are doing a good job at trying to show both sides.  And they do own up to their mistakes on the air when they are corrected by the listeners.  It is a good trade off to listen to before Boortz and Beck come on.

Online Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #9 on: July 20, 2010, 06:33:43 pm »
it's important to be well rounded. X:X  my biggest problem with them and the PBS is that we are paying for it.  why? 

Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

Offline AllenF

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #10 on: July 20, 2010, 07:00:53 pm »
I think the majority of it is paid for by viewers like you.  And the letters J and f.   Why do they have a week long fundraiser every quarter?

Offline winginit

• House Bee
« Reply #11 on: July 20, 2010, 07:59:00 pm »
I know I've given my share to NPR, and have worked the PBS fundraising efforts (you know, the silly people on the phones).

Looks like about 15% of NPR's member stations' funding is federal funding; less for larger stations and more for rural.

Online Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #12 on: July 20, 2010, 08:02:10 pm »
it's a bit higher when you factor in government grants and funding from places like universities that get government funding.  if they were totally supported by the public, i'd be all for it.  i see no reason for any government funding.  it's not like there are not plenty of sources of info out there. we are not limited to a couple of networks and tv stations anymore.

Offline blckoakbees

• House Bee
« Reply #13 on: July 21, 2010, 02:11:44 am »
I enjoyed the story on bees and enjoy NPR every morning.  It provides a balanced account of the news, and has interviews of people with very different opinions which encourages viewers to think about the issues from a different perspective. 

Many people are not able to have civil discussions about issues and NPR staff fosters a forum for discussion rather that radical ranting from either the far right or far left that I am tired of. Most news stations seem to promote the sensationalized news.  NPR is not dependent on the government for funding and if it was I would see that as tax dollars well spent.

Offline vermmy35

• Field Bee
« Reply #14 on: July 21, 2010, 12:34:02 pm »
I enjoyed the story on bees and enjoy NPR every morning.  It provides a balanced account of the news, and has interviews of people with very different opinions which encourages viewers to think about the issues from a different perspective. 

Many people are not able to have civil discussions about issues and NPR staff fosters a forum for discussion rather that radical ranting from either the far right or far left that I am tired of. Most news stations seem to promote the sensationalized news.  NPR is not dependent on the government for funding and if it was I would see that as tax dollars well spent.

LOL keep drinking the Cool-Aid Blackoakbees, keep drinking.
Semper Fi to all my brothers out there
http://gettingbacktocountryliving.blogspot.com/

Offline winginit

• House Bee
« Reply #15 on: July 21, 2010, 12:55:22 pm »
Sure beats Fox Unfair Unbalanced Un-news.

Offline FRAMEshift

• Super Bee
« Reply #16 on: July 21, 2010, 01:16:58 pm »
In terms of intellectual content, there is no radio programming that equals NPR.  We donate to WUNC Chapel Hill every year.  They do local programming as well as carrying the NPR national feed.  My radio stays tuned to 91.5 all the time.  :-D  And you can listen over the internet using their streaming audio.  http://wunc.org/about/online-streams-mobile-podcasting/listen.pls   Some of the national programming originates at UNC.

I actually agree that government funding of programming is generally a bad idea but I'm also glad it was done in the 1970s and 1980s so this high quality programming could get established.  It's funny that some folks think NPR is liberal just because they refuse to repeat all the ignorant right wing dogma.  They are quite broad in their coverage and present all points of view that can be logically supported.  They occasionally allow unsupportable views to air as well.... I guess to remind everyone just how out of touch some folks are. 

Online Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #17 on: July 21, 2010, 01:50:22 pm »
Sure beats Fox Unfair Unbalanced Un-news.

what i expect from an NPR listener.   :-D

i don't care what's on radio or TV. i do care that the government is funding "news".  that's a bad recipe no matter who's in charge of government or what the programing it.

if you are listening to NPR you are being fed left slanted news only slightly above the Huff.  they throw in the occasional opposing view to claim balance.  if you know that, it's ok.  if you think you are getting balanced news, you are in trouble.  if it's your only source of news, you are missing a lot.

read/watch what you want, but do understand what you are reading/watching.  many more "journalists" identify themselves as liberal rather than conservative.  the highest number identify themselves as moderates.  a moderate is someone who has not yet been convinced that Marxism is the way to go, but they are leaning that way.

back in the day when they taught critical thinking in school, we used to listen to news and read stories.  the assignment was always to pick out the words that change the tone of the story.  when you have done it a few times, the words jump out at you.....like finding your queen on a frame full of bees.  try it.  it's fun.  you'll read/listen to your news in a different way.

one of my favorite words is 'alleged'.

Offline FRAMEshift

• Super Bee
« Reply #18 on: July 21, 2010, 03:15:56 pm »
one of my favorite words is 'alleged'.
One of mine is "Marxism".  Just can't beat it for changing the tone of a piece.  :-D    Oh look, I know there is bias on NPR but it varies with which reporter is doing the reporting.  Nina Totenberg is silly and very biased to the left.  She gives the left a bad name because she is not well informed. I have on occasion caught Rachel Maddow making an argument so obtuse that I know she doesn't believe it herself. But it's distressing when you say you don't care what's on radio or TV.  It matters what people are exposed to in the way of information content and intellectual rigor.

Have you heard any other radio programming try to address the issue of young urban women entering beekeeping?  But I know it's happening because my daughter is one of those new urban beeks and so are many of her friends.  Beekeeping is changing fast and nobody but NPR is trying to tell the story.  NPR has it's failings.  You notice that, like most journalists, they did not run this story past any beeks before it was aired.  If they had, someone would have pointed out to them that the drones are not just sitting around because they have already fertilized the queen.   :?  It would have made a better story to say that the males give their lives in the process of mating, but NPR missed that one.

You are right that the government should not be financing news.  Makes for conflict of interest.  But NPR also is criticized for accepting corporate sponsorships. They claim to have a firewall between fundraising and the news desk. but in the end.... people are people and they can always be corrupted. But I think the content of NPR is so much better than any other radio news source that even you..... extremist that you are  :-D...   should consider supporting it with your hard earned conservative dollars so the government doesn't have to.

Online Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #19 on: July 21, 2010, 03:46:45 pm »
But it's distressing when you say you don't care what's on radio or TV.  It matters what people are exposed to in the way of information content and intellectual rigor.

no, it's about choice.  if you choose to listen to things that are consistently in error in their reporting, or that consistently show only one point of view, i think that's stupid.  i think it is your right to be stupid.  (not talking about NPR)

ah, but you miss my point about Marxist.  Obama was sold as a moderate.  he is a Marxist.  he was brought up that way, has associated with people who embrace the ideology, taught Marxist revolution ideology in his classes, sat in a black liberation theology church for 20 years (Malcolm x Marxism), and has done nothing since being elected except go farther left.

Hillary has been sold as a moderate.  in truth, i think she has moderated some of her original Marxist views, however, she clings to many yet.

it is true that most of our progressives do not want to have a USSR outcome to their beliefs.  they think that Marxism can be done right this time.  i'd kind of like to see an example of it done right before we dive in.....so far, it hasn't worked out to well.

But NPR also is criticized for accepting corporate sponsorships

i guess that could apply to any network or news show that depends on advertising. 

But I think the content of NPR is so much better than any other radio news source that even you..... extremist that you are  ...   should consider supporting it with your hard earned conservative dollars so the government doesn't have to.

maybe after the govt stops supporting them, i'll consider it... :-D

Have you heard any other radio programming try to address the issue of young urban women entering beekeeping

no and it's an interesting human interest story...or...you could see it as another media attempt to classify people by age and gender.  gender and race have nothing to do with beekeeping.  age might........

anything