Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Another Morning Storm and a Swarm!  (Read 1976 times)

Offline Rebel Rose Apiary

• House Bee
Another Morning Storm and a Swarm!
« on: June 21, 2009, 04:18:08 pm »
I got up early this morning, and I do mean early! I had plans to help Dear Ol' Dad, but that too was ruined by the weather!  :roll: Rain and thunder greated me when I looked out the front door! I decided to go to church instead...but that was still some time off, as I got up early!  ;)

Then I got a call that there were 'some bees' flying around in town. I loaded up my gear and drove in to see what was going on. Sure enough, there was a swarm flying around in the rain! It was just beautiful! (Ok, so only JP and myself think that bees are cute little critters and that they compare right up there with teddy bears and Peeps at Easter! :-*)

Finally they settled down in a small tree about ten feet from the ground. Very unlevel, soggy ground, but I needed my step ladder and it was still raining...but not too bad yet. As soon as I got ready to get the swarm, of course there was a great roll of thunder and rain started to come down as if it were being poured by buckets. Just what I wanted, a shower with hot rain! 

This one was a nice swarm, very dark bees and a pretty black lady for a queen...some of the workers looked like they were Carnies....wonder where they came from? The swarm was over two miles from any of my hives. The branch they were on was bent over by the weight of the swarm; this was a bigger swarm than I thought once I got up on the ladder and my eyes right next to them.  :-D

With a little 'guidance' the swarm settled into the hive bodies and were soon on their way home. The swarm was larger than what you would get in a 4 pound package, so I am happy! Extremely gentle bees too!

I got a nice swarm, a pretty queen and I missed church again!

Brenda

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
Re: Another Morning Storm and a Swarm!
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2009, 01:30:21 pm »
Brenda, lovely that you got the swarm, sucks about the rain, but a great little read.  Have a wonderful and most awesome day, health.  Cindi
There are strange things done in the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold.  The Arctic trails have their secret tales that would make your blood run cold.  The Northern Lights have seen queer sights, but the queerest they ever did see, what the night on the marge of Lake Lebarge, I cremated Sam McGee.  Robert Service

Offline Rebel Rose Apiary

• House Bee
Re: Another Morning Storm and a Swarm!
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2009, 03:38:14 pm »
Today is the first sunny day and the temps are into the triple digits here at the house. As luck goes, I had to go into the big city an hour one way to get livestock feed.....the heat index...well, I am not going to even look, but I heard it was around 115+ right now.

The skies are starting to load up with clouds again, so many some cool rain would be better than this heat!

The swarm is doing great! VERY gentle too!

Brenda

anything