Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Top entrance or middle entrance?  (Read 1301 times)

Offline harvey

• House Bee
Top entrance or middle entrance?
« on: June 27, 2009, 01:46:59 am »
A brood box that I borrowed had a one inch hole drilled in it just below the handle in the brood box as an alternate entrance to the hive.  I just purchased new brood boxes.  I drilled a one inch hole in one and painted it to weather proof it.  I plan on putting this box on top of another brood box that does not have a one inch hole in it.  That way the bees will be able to enter at the very bottom of the hive or in the middle of the second brood box.  Any opinions on this?  I really don't know what I am doing but the bee's seem to use the hole on the brood box I have now as much or more than they do the bottom entrance.  If  I have this on the second brood box only will this be a top entrance in sort?   Does anyone else do this? 

Offline Brian D. Bray

• Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Galactic Bee
  • I really look like this, just ask Cindi.
    • http://spaces.msn.com/thecoonsden
Re: Top entrance or middle entrance?
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2009, 02:03:44 am »
a brood box that I borrowed had a one inch hole drilled in it just below the handle in the brood box as an alternate entrance to the hive.  I just purchased new brood boxes.  I drilled a one inch hole in one and painted it to weather proof it.  I plan on putting this box on top of another brood box that does not have a one inch hole in it.  That way the bees will be able to enter at the very bottom of the hive or in the middle of the second brood box.  Any opinions on this? 

A lot of beekeepers do that and I don't understand why.  I dislike holes in that location as it greatly improves the chances of getting stung while trying to life or carry a super.  If ventilation or upper entrance is desired the higher on the hive the better, either prop up the top and make dedicated top entrances.  Holes in the ends of supers still allows for condensation buildup above the hole.

I really don't know what I am doing but the bee's seem to use the hole on the brood box I have now as much or more than they do the bottom entrance.  If  I have this on the second brood box only will this be a top entrance in sort?   Does anyone else do this? 

Nobody really knows what they're doing for the 1st year or 2 so don't worry.  It will work as a top entrance of sorts but a hazardous one to the beekeeper.  The worst place to drill a hole, and I've seen plenty of hives where it was done, is to drill a hole in the middle of the hand grip.....ouch!
Life is a school.  What have you learned?   :brian:      The greatest danger to our society is apathy, vote in every election!

Offline Sparky

• Field Bee
Re: Top entrance or middle entrance?
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2009, 11:42:36 am »
Hello Galatic Bee. I was wondering what your thoughts were on. not a hole for upper entrance but a series of slots that I have put into the frame of my made inner cover that have screen to keep out pest and are just up under the bottom of the telescoping cover to give additional ventilation.

anything