Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: What kind of bees did you run this year? Were you happy with them? Why?  (Read 7814 times)

Offline twb

• House Bee
I used all Italian hybrids, artificially inseminated, from California.  They were very gentle and a pleasure to work(usually :)).  I am considering ordering a couple of packages to cover possible winter losses or increase hive numbers.  Thinking about something hygeinic or mite resistant.
"Pleasant words are a honeycomb, sweet to the soul and healing to the bones."  Proverbs 16:24

Sincerely,
TWB

Offline Shawn

• Queen Bee
Re: What kind of bees did you run this year? Were you happy with them? Why?
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2007, 05:33:06 pm »
I made a post as what was the best bee to get for starters and I got a lot of responces. It all depends on who you talk to and if they are selling, what are they selling. Even though I do not have my bees yet I am going to get a 5 frame Nuc of russians for my hive and my son is going to get a package of carnolians without a queen and we are going to put a Goldline queen with them. I have read lots about the Russians but I believe you can learn more by reading posts from people that have actually had them. I also read an article that says if you are wanting comb honey then you should go with Itilian Bees. Not sure if that is true but that is what it said. So that is my two cents worth.

Offline Robo

• Technical
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Beekeep On!
    • Bushkill Bee Vac
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2007, 06:03:46 pm »
The true test will be how they winter.   I find local bred bees to be far superior to bees that I have shipped in.  I have been breeding feral survivor stock into mine and am very pleased with the performance.
"Opportunity is missed by most people because it comes dressed in overalls and looks like work." - Thomas Edison

Offline Mici

• Super Bee
  • tougher than rock
    • http://www.carantha.net/carantha_table_of_contents.htm
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2007, 06:27:23 pm »
all the books i have handeled so far, and sites i have read in my language, describe Carnis as a superior race. gentlest, fly in adverse weather conditions, hardy, big yields, low overwintering costs (small number to overwinter-eat less), good mite "resistence" and so on and on. the only downside is the swarmy nature.

then again, Carnis=Slovenians so...the evaluation in books and stuff might be just a bit subjective :)
i am however pleased with them, and would not trade them

Offline Brian D. Bray

• Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Galactic Bee
  • I really look like this, just ask Cindi.
    • http://spaces.msn.com/thecoonsden
« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2007, 09:07:30 pm »
Buy your packages and/or queens from as local as possible or from an area with weather as much like yours as possible.  Survivor traits is a must.  Local bees are adapted to the local conditions.  One of the problems experienced by those buying bees imported from Australia is that they are warm weather bees without exposure to varroa; consequently the Aussy bees have a high hive loss rate in the US.  They are very good bees otherwise.  25 years ago that wouldn't have been a problem, but since the varroa invasion it's problematic. 

For those reasons I buy my queens from Olympic Apiary in Port Angeles, WA.  They are survivor stock with demonstrated hygenic behavior. That is for my area or with those having weather conditions very similar to Western Washington.  I would recommend them to anybody living in Oregan, Wahington, or British Columbia or even someone in New York or Pennsylvania.
Life is a school.  What have you learned?   :brian:      The greatest danger to our society is apathy, vote in every election!

Offline Moonshae

• Field Bee
« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2007, 10:55:31 pm »
I have 4 hives of Italians. Two started from packages, and two nucs started with frames from those and new Italian queens added. So far, I'm happy, but without a winter behind them, I'm holding my breath. I've seen some dark bees around, and I'm hoping to entice a swarm of them to come on in when Spring rolls around. I'd be happy to raise some queens from that stock and requeen the other hives with them. Regardless, if my bees make it through the winter, I'll be happy enough with them. :)
"The mouth of a perfectly contented man is filled with beer." - Egyptian Proverb, 2200 BC

Offline Understudy

• Galactic Bee
    • http://www.understudy.net
« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2007, 11:21:54 pm »
According to the rules in Florida I have AHB because unmarked queens must be AHB.

Nicest AHB evar!

Sincerely,
Brendhan
The status is not quo. The world is a mess and I just need to rule it. Dr. Horrible

Offline Brian D. Bray

• Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Galactic Bee
« Reply #7 on: October 22, 2007, 12:12:58 am »
According to the rules in Florida I have AHB because unmarked queens must be AHB.

Nicest AHB evar!

Sincerely,
Brendhan

Florida has the most absurd position I can imagine on AHB vs EHB.  The absence of a marked queen requiring distruction, or at least requeening, of the hive is ludicrious.  I can see it if they can prove it-but that's the key, they should be required to prove the bes are AHB before they can take action--sounds like a cause loking for a good attorney.

I see the same mind frame all over.  Instead of barring weapons from airplanes imagine what would happen to a hijacker or terroriest if just some of the people on board had the means to fight back.  The more you are dependent on someone/government the more they can manifpulate you.
 Maybe this post belongs on the Dark Side but miss-use of power yanks my chain.
Life is a school.  What have you learned?   :brian:      The greatest danger to our society is apathy, vote in every election!

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #8 on: October 22, 2007, 08:51:40 am »
Local feral survivors.  Mine did as well as everyone else's, which is good under the circumstances...
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline bassman1977

• "King Bee"
  • Super Bee
« Reply #9 on: October 22, 2007, 10:31:30 am »
Carnies and Italians.  They were both great.  I never had Carnies prior to this year and was impressed by how docile they are (not saying the Italians aren't docile).  I might look into the Minnesota Hygienics for next year.  I am increasing to 20 hives for next year.
(\__/)
(='.'=)
(''')_(''')

Offline Brian D. Bray

• Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Galactic Bee
« Reply #10 on: October 22, 2007, 11:29:16 pm »
This year I had Italians, Carniolans (which I gave to my brother), Russia, & Minnesota Hygenic in my apiary.
The Minnesota Hygenic were by far the hotest bees in the yard.
Of the different strains the Italians were pretty much what I expected, a good calm productive bee. The Carrniolans were quicker to build up, very calm, but didn't hit the high production of the Italian, it's a nice bee to have.  The Russians are very calm, even calmer than the Carniolans, seemed to sustain work at a higher rate the the Carniolans but not as much as the Italians.  The Minnesota Hygenics quickly superceded the queen, did wierd things in comb building (They were the only bees on foundation and I had to keep tearing it out and making them do it over), where hot on good days and hotter on so-so days, and I had to force them into a 2nd box.

My analysis, though limited to 1 year of comparrison, is that if you what high honey yield--go with the tried and true Italians--this is a bee you can never go wrong having.  The Carniolans and Russians were pretty much a toss-up though I developed a personal favorite slanted towards the Russians.  Both are good bee, the best choice if you are in an area where temperment might be the deciding factor, and when not experiencing a dearth should produce a reasonable harvest.  The Minnesota Hygenics I found tempermental and contrary, these bees take a little work and are not 1 I would recommend to the 1st year beekeeper.

That's my accessment, make your own decission.

Offline qa33010

• Field Bee
« Reply #11 on: October 22, 2007, 11:58:51 pm »
   One feral colony Two winters good and very productive as well as calm.

Two Russians with a winter and good production also very calm.  They do explode in the spring though.  Three colonies, CCD survivors, from a breeder in the state; one struggling the other two have plenty of excess honey.

Two hives of I Don't Have a Clue What They Are!  Both plenty of honey to pull and very calm. 

Except the one new colony, all are robust and bringing in nectar and pollen.  The one weak is taking in syrup but not touching protein sub patties. 
Everyone said it couldn't be done. But he with a chuckle replied, "I won't be one to say it is so, until I give it a try."  So he buckled right in with a trace of a grin.  If he had a worry he hid it and he started to sing as he tackled that thing that couldn't be done, and he did it.  (unknown)

Offline Old Timer

• House Bee
« Reply #12 on: October 23, 2007, 04:26:13 pm »
i've had the same bees for years. almost all of hives originated from wild colonies.

Offline pdmattox

• Queen Bee
    • October bend Rv Park
« Reply #13 on: October 23, 2007, 06:53:36 pm »
well I started out with Italians and alowed open mating in a ahb zone and the end result is that I now have africanized hybirds but they do very well here.  ( I do find that the mail man just throws the mail out towards the mail box now instead of stoping to put it in. :evil:  Not realy they are no meaner than the italians that were marked.)

Offline twb

• House Bee
« Reply #14 on: October 23, 2007, 11:01:29 pm »
I really liked the mailman visual there pdm.  Good for a laugh.

It is interesting all the varieties being used.  If you let them open mate do you weaken the gene pool after a couple of years in a row of allowing this for the same hive?

"Pleasant words are a honeycomb, sweet to the soul and healing to the bones."  Proverbs 16:24

Sincerely,
TWB

Offline CBEE

• House Bee
« Reply #15 on: October 24, 2007, 03:26:48 pm »
Well, When I orderd my bees the guy asked what kind I wanted.so I asked what kind do you have? He replied.. Italians. So I said OK I would like to order some Italian bees pleease.. :-D  So I ended up with Italians and will get some experience with them before trying other kinds.

Offline UtahBees

• House Bee
    • My Photos on Flickr
« Reply #16 on: October 24, 2007, 03:36:02 pm »
I have Italians that were hived this year in April from a 3lb package. I believe they came from Georgia.

They've been very docile - I got stung once this year by them, and that was yesterday as I was consolidating frames for winter. They're a beautiful color and hard workers. I hope they'll survive alright during the winter. I've done my best to prepare them, and want to see how they do naturally.

Regards,

Scott

Offline trapperbob

• House Bee
« Reply #17 on: October 24, 2007, 06:01:20 pm »
Italians are what I have because by the time that I decided to order thats what was avalable. but the season coming up I'm going to order three 3 3lb packages of carnis because I think they will do better in the topbar hives I've built. Not to say I had problems with the Italians they were great but they seem to build up to big for winter and carnis down size and eat less. After that I may get caucasions the next season just for the experiance.

Offline Shawn

• Queen Bee
« Reply #18 on: October 24, 2007, 06:09:51 pm »
Good question! Maybe this should be another post but how would you prevent open air mating? I know if you buy a queen and she is clipped then she is not going to be open aired. If you get or obtain a queen that is not clipped then houw would you know what she is mating with? I guess I dont even know how many times she is needed to be mated with to keep laying eggs.

Offline pdmattox

• Queen Bee
    • October bend Rv Park
« Reply #19 on: October 24, 2007, 06:39:17 pm »
Good question! Maybe this should be another post but how would you prevent open air mating? I know if you buy a queen and she is clipped then she is not going to be open aired. If you get or obtain a queen that is not clipped then houw would you know what she is mating with? I guess I dont even know how many times she is needed to be mated with to keep laying eggs.

most people that are buying queens are buying mated queens. If you are buying cells to put in the hive they will mate after they emerge with what drones are in the area presumably your stock. Open mated mean that they were not artificaly insemenated like some breeders do. The above statments are to the best of my knowlage and others on here are sure to chime in and correct me where i am wrong.