Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Flow ~> *Accelerating* (image intensive thread)  (Read 26462 times)

Offline Dane Bramage

• Field Bee
Re: Flow
« Reply #100 on: September 03, 2007, 01:02:47 pm »
Hi Annette ~> there are quite a few sources for vinyl, etc., labels.  I'm still shopping them for best deals (& will let you know what I find).
Hey - I like your avatar (profile pic).  With that white background you can make it a gif like this ~>   8-)

Thanks Cindi ~> I agree (on the name) & it's a done deal.  :-D  I had looked into shipments to Canada.. I think a priority flat rate box was ~ $24, but that would only be equitable with something heavier (>1kg).  We can move this to PMs to discuss more.  (you DO have to try these honeys + I have kombucha 4 u) :)

Sounds like good work @ your apiary.  Making the environment better for the bees.  Sorry to hear you got stung.  :'(  I haven't been stung yet.  :oops:  But I always suit up when I open the hives.  Not so with pollen collection or just hanging out observing however.  I like to sit and watch them for long periods.  It's the yellow-jackets that are pestering me now when I do this.  They buzz my head sometimes and I have to curb my aggression.  I want to swat them out of the air and stomp them but I figure that isn't good behaviour to exhibit around the bees (+ I may swat one of the bees by mistake).  That being said, when I am not sitting I can deftly stomp loads of the YJs.  Kill a bunch that are feeding on something (surely a recently killed bee), wait for reinforcements to come inspect/eat their dead... another stomp.  One can make quick work of killing a good 30+ YJs in 5-10 minutes.  My YJ traps are working fairly well too... I think the YJs, while quite annoying this time of year, aren't going to be a problem.  I hope the YJs aren't hassling you & your hives!

Cheers,
Dane

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
Re: Flow ~> *Accelerating* (image intensive thread)
« Reply #101 on: September 04, 2007, 10:38:55 am »
Dane, your vendetta against the yellowjackets is good.  I am starting a new thread in the pest forum cause I have something to say.

Kombucha, yes, we will PM because I have not been able to find the mother around here.  You will need to assist me with this and I thank you in advance.  And I want to test your honey, I will give honest opinion.  Keep on keepin' on.  Best of this beautiful day.  Cindi
There are strange things done in the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold.  The Arctic trails have their secret tales that would make your blood run cold.  The Northern Lights have seen queer sights, but the queerest they ever did see, what the night on the marge of Lake Lebarge, I cremated Sam McGee.  Robert Service

Offline annette

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #102 on: September 07, 2007, 08:20:27 pm »
Dane,

Thanks for keeping me posted on the labels.

I think it is very funny how you moved me around like that. I do not know what a GIF is or what the possibilites are with it. Tell me more.

Glad you liked the photo, as a good friend posted that avatar for me. He took the photo of me and the original can be seen in the members photos section in the original form. He took out the background so the photo would stand out more and I think he did a great job. I am very happy with it.

Take care
Annette

Offline Dane Bramage

• Field Bee
September update, flow still on - need flower ID
« Reply #103 on: September 11, 2007, 01:51:36 am »
Here's a (brief) September update... the flow is still on.  Loads of asters, birdsfoot trefoil, goldenrod, dandelions, purple loosestrife (finishing), clover, etc., etc.,.  The mimosa tree is still going very strong surprisingly also - smelling sweet and very popular with the honeybees.  It was windy today (& hot!), & it's a big tree, so I was only able to capture one decent image of a honeybee feeding:
<a href="http://i14.tinypic.com/66tqs7r.jpg" target="_blank">[img width= height=]http://i14.tinypic.com/66tqs7r_th[/img][/url]

Directly below the mimosa tree is one batch of apparently good nectar producing flowers ~3' tall.  Can anyone ID these please?
<a href="http://i15.tinypic.com/5zeqf09.jpg" target="_blank">[img width= height=]http://i15.tinypic.com/5zeqf09_th[/img][/url]
<a href="http://i19.tinypic.com/6hcrhpz.jpg" target="_blank">[img width= height=]http://i19.tinypic.com/6hcrhpz_th[/img][/url]
<a href="http://i4.tinypic.com/4yesbpg.jpg" target="_blank">[img width= height=]http://i4.tinypic.com/4yesbpg_th[/img][/url]

Hot, hot & exhausted am I...

Cheers,
Dane

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #104 on: September 11, 2007, 02:19:04 am »
Dane, your photos take the breath away.  Beauties, keep them coming on.  Best of this beautiful day.  Cindi
There are strange things done in the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold.  The Arctic trails have their secret tales that would make your blood run cold.  The Northern Lights have seen queer sights, but the queerest they ever did see, what the night on the marge of Lake Lebarge, I cremated Sam McGee.  Robert Service

Offline reinbeau

• Super Bee
« Reply #105 on: September 11, 2007, 08:58:04 am »
That looks like Sedum spectabilis.  Are the leaves succulent and greyish-green?

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #106 on: September 11, 2007, 10:58:48 am »
Dane, I think Ann is right.  Ann, I think the leaves in the photos do look that greyish-green.  I have a different species, Sedum Autumn Joy in full bloom right now, I haven't noticed the bees on them, yet, probably too much other lavish stuff to forage on.  I will take a picture and get it posted one day, as soon as I can figure out how to get the photos down to a size that can be put into the forum, still can't get Irfanview to size down to an acceptable size, 800 kb is as small as I can get pics without severe degredation with the pic.  I am going to try a different program.  I've been sleeping in too much to get time on the computer, rats!!!!  Wonder if I will ever get out of the summer time sleepy times.  Have a wonderful day.

Dane, take more pictures, they are so beautiful and crystal clear, astounding.  Cindi

Offline Dane Bramage

• Field Bee
Autumn Joy!
« Reply #107 on: September 11, 2007, 01:18:03 pm »
Thanks Cindi!  I'm glad you like the photos. (I'll keep taking them).  :-D

Thank you Ann!  Referencing all the Sedum spectabilis images online, Autumn Joy has to be it.  I really appreciate all the help in ID-ing these plants as I've much more curiosity than experience.  The on-line reports I've read so far state this perennial to be very popular with honeybees, which I can confirm.

Cheers,
Dane

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #108 on: September 12, 2007, 01:16:01 am »
Nope, looked many times today.  Not a single bee on my Autumn Joy Sedum.  They are going nuts on the Anise Hyssop, Borage that I resowed beginning of July, Impatiens capensis, Mignonette, broccoli still flowering (cutting off the seed heads keeps promoting more broccoli flowers), Phacelia, Cosmos, the Asters, Bachelors Buttons, Sunflowers till the heaven and earth wouldn't have them, Crystal Palace Lobelia, (the Canary Creeper Vine is on its last legs), and holy carumbu, Heliotrope.  A myriad more of annuals and perennials blooming.  We are in what is called here "Indian Summer", hot (the high today was 29 celsius, the nights very cool), but man, is the nectar flow happening, can't say too much about the honey flow, but hopefully, the ability of the bees to process this nectar will make a great honeyflow, late, but better late than never.  Have a good day, good life, good health.  Cindi

Offline Dane Bramage

• Field Bee
Caryopteris x clandonensis: "Blue Beard" "Blue Mist" "Dark Knight"
« Reply #109 on: September 13, 2007, 04:25:35 pm »
That is interesting Cindi.  I checked mine again yesterday and there were no bees on it then whereas there were loads the previous day.  Perhaps it's a time-of-day nectar flow thing (unsure)?

I just stumbled across some "Blue Beard" (Caryopteris x clandonensis) and think this must be what was previously identified as "Lavender mint".  Check it out ~>

It's really lovely and still flowering strong this time of the season.  I am going to propagate this one.

Cheers,
Dane

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #110 on: September 14, 2007, 12:15:14 am »
Dane, maybe they sucked up all the nectar  :lol:.  Some plants only secrete nectar during certain times of the day like buckwheat, in the morning and late afternoon, maybe the same holds here.  Lovely pictures, that Bluebeard is astounding.  Best of this awesome day.  Cindi