Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Problems with bees...  (Read 1512 times)

Offline S.Rummings

• House Bee
    • Organic Fertilizer
Problems with bees...
« on: June 03, 2013, 12:30:04 pm »
Carpenter bees that is, and wasps too.

I have my hives on the back side of a small barn. One side of the barn near the back is infested with carpenter bees near the roof and I have several wasp nests directly above the hives on the back side of the barn.

I would like to get rid of the carpenter bees before they drill too many holes and the wasps are constantly investigating my hives and don't seem care for me being around them.

If this was any other location I could take care of both problems but how do I get rid of them without  harming the hives? They are about 15 feet up. The wasps may be easier than the carpenter bees because I should just be able to take the nests down. Would this work or would they just rebuild?

Offline HomeSteadDreamer

• House Bee
Re: Problems with bees...
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2013, 12:39:56 pm »
take the nest down at night when they have returned.  squish it. they won't return.

Moots

« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2013, 01:11:01 pm »
You can build a trap for the Carpenter bees....

Something similar to THIS!

I know I guy that makes these, his design is a little different, his wood part is four sided and he has the plastic funnel at the bottom that hangs into a mason jar screwed to the bottom of his woodwork....swears they work great.

Good Luck!

Offline Better.to.Bee.than.not

• Field Bee
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2013, 08:58:01 pm »

I know I guy that makes these, his design is a little different, his wood part is four sided and he has the plastic funnel at the bottom that hangs into a mason jar screwed to the bottom of his woodwork....swears they work great.

like this by chance? brilliant concept really.

http://youtu.be/1NyTvWIW_xM

Offline don2

• Doak
  • Field Bee
« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2013, 09:38:21 pm »
something about the size of a 1 pound coffee can. scalding water after dark for the wasp. :) d2

Offline goatmanbees

• House Bee
  • The name is in reference to Pan.
« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2013, 10:01:39 pm »
Use your smoker on the wasps. Smoke the nests good and they won't return.
That's worked for me anyway.

Offline S.Rummings

• House Bee
    • Organic Fertilizer
« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2013, 11:45:50 pm »
Thank you all!
That is exactly what I needed. I have enough scrap wood to build several traps and I will try the smoker but will probably end up tearing down the nests anyway.
I predicted the carpenter bees were going to be a challenge but I think the traps are the answer.