Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Hello again and a question  (Read 2403 times)

Offline shannylboy

• New Bee
Hello again and a question
« on: April 15, 2012, 09:55:48 pm »
my 5 year old nephew is going to help me with my bees, really it is a joint effort.  He is quite astute and clever and even enduring (he toughed out our 8 hour bee class with finesse) - His dad asked me today if he should have my nephew tested for bee allergy - just to be on the safe side.  We are about 1 minute from the hospital.  Is this necessary?  I was never tested as a kid, but I would hate to put my nephew in peril.

Offline Joe D

• Super Bee
Re: Hello again and a question
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2012, 10:56:37 pm »

Well it wouldn't hurt to have him tested.  Seems to me a lot of kids now days are more allergic to things than we used to be.  They will swell me up some but I had a cousin that if he got stung by any bee, wasp,etc he had to get a epi shot and go to the hospital.

Joe

Offline shannylboy

• New Bee
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2012, 11:17:36 pm »
Thanks.  That is what I told his dad.  Seems in any case, better to be safe than sorry.

Offline specialkayme

• Field Bee
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2012, 08:18:07 am »
Welcome to the site!

Offline AllenF

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2012, 08:25:38 am »
I worried about that when my son was a baby, but eventually he got stung and cried a little and then forgot about it.   I don't worry about it anymore.   Boys will be boys.  And welcome to the forum.

Offline Rurification

• Field Bee
    • Rurification
« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2012, 01:55:39 pm »
Welcome to the site!      You might read the post on administering an epi shot.   There's a lot of other information in there that might be helpful for you, not just epi info.    I have a daughter who has a strong reaction to stings, but she's not allergic.    I got epis just in case, but after I read the post, I decided a bottle of benadryl would be a lot easier, cheaper and safer.    When the epis expire, I'll replace them with a bottle of benadryl.
Robin Edmundson
www.rurification.com

Beekeeping since 2012

Offline Lone

• Queen Bee
« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2012, 04:52:21 am »
Hello there,

I went to the Shenandoah Valley last year and had a great time.

One minute to the hospital..the best way to check for an allergy is wait till he gets stung.  Swelling on the face if he was stung elsewhere, funny sounding breathing, a rash..well, you could probably get there in half a minute if you have to.  Do what you think is best, but I don't think it's necessary for him to be tested unless a relation has bee allergy or he has asthma or other allergies.

Lone

Offline shannylboy

• New Bee
« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2012, 06:57:28 am »
Lone,  That is pretty much what I thought.  He has shown no indications of allergies of any kind, so I do not suspect anything...but since I am only his aunt, I took the easy road and left it up to his mom and dad!  I have to tell you, not letting him take part was not a choice.  It is funny, he is all bees all the time.  He makes me really quite proud!

Offline Jim134

• Galactic Bee
    • Franklin County Beekeepers Association
« Reply #8 on: April 17, 2012, 07:21:48 am »
Welcome to the site!      You might read the post on administering an epi shot.   There's a lot of other information in there that might be helpful for you, not just epi info.    I have a daughter who has a strong reaction to stings, but she's not allergic.    I got epis just in case, but after I read the post, I decided a bottle of benadryl would be a lot easier, cheaper and safer.    When the epis expire, I'll replace them with a bottle of benadryl.

If you have to use epi pen YOU HAVE TO GO TO THE HOSPITAL OR CALL 911 AND DO NOT DIVE YOURSELF.

BEE HAPPY Jim 134 :)
"Tell me and I'll forget,show me and I may  remember,involve me and I'll understand"
        Chinese Proverb

"The farmer is the only man in our economy who buys everything at retail, sells everything at wholesale, and pays the freight both ways."
 John F. Kennedy
Franklin County Beekeepers Association MA. http://www.franklinmabeekeepers.org/

Offline ME Girl

• New Bee
« Reply #9 on: April 25, 2012, 06:56:50 pm »
Hello and thank you for posting this.  In all of my excitement I forgot that I myself have never been stung (I'm 38 and pretty lucky) both my sister and brother are allergic.  I didn't even know they had tests they could give you.  My husband has an epi pen for just in case but I probably should go and be tested before I get out and start working with them by myself.  I've always gone with him to help out with his hives but I will be getting my own and I have more free time on my hands than he does.  Is the test a blood test?
Life is too short not to stop and watch the bees.

Offline shannylboy

• New Bee
« Reply #10 on: May 01, 2012, 09:24:28 pm »
From what I understand it is a relatively simple test that they can do in the doctors office.