Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Medium Super Question  (Read 5818 times)

Offline Brian D. Bray

• Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Galactic Bee
  • I really look like this, just ask Cindi.
    • http://spaces.msn.com/thecoonsden
Re: Medium Super Question
« Reply #20 on: March 10, 2009, 06:06:09 pm »
I have ta chim in:

I have gone to all 8 frame mediums.  I've had back, shoulder, knee, ankle and hernia surgeries with more in the pipe line.  At 60 years old, I might not be considered a real old timer but I am decrepit and for a period of time was forced to do everyting from a wheel chair.  If it wasn't for 8 frame mediums or nucs I couldn't continue with beekeeping. 

All you youngster's and smart alec's take heed, the day will come, might as well make the change and preserve your health than wait until you health forces you to make a choice.  Take it from me, the cost of 8 frame mediums can save you thousands in doctor's and related medical fees.
Life is a school.  What have you learned?   :brian:      The greatest danger to our society is apathy, vote in every election!

Offline Natalie

• Queen Bee
« Reply #21 on: March 10, 2009, 10:20:34 pm »
Bodo says.... Geesh, you are as politically incorrect as me

Well, I've got ya beat.

Deeps are for MEN. Mediums are for women, pansies, and old folk.

Shallows are for comb honey.

Whether you use all mediums or all deeps, your equipment will be interchangeable.

OK, I've got my flame proof undies on, so go for it.   :-P   :-D

Just because someone CAN lift deeps does not mean they SHOULD be lifting them.
I have had 3 back surgeries and would never risk screwing with my back for the sake of saving some money on a hobby.
My husband is built like a brick house and is the strongest man I know. He has spent years doing a job that requires heavy lifting, all that heavy lifting has also wrecked his back and he has had 4 surgeries and a spinal fusion.
I don't care how you lift or wear a back brace etc. lifting heavy objects on a regular basis causes wear and tear on your back and doing it for a living may be necessary but to keep bees?
Can he easily lift 100 lbs, sure. Should he be lifting 100 lbs over and over after a spinal fusion?
I made the decision and ordered all mediums for us so I guess that makes my husband a pansy, but I'll let YOU tell him that or I guess I could tell him for you. :evil:

I chose mediums because I don't want to have to rely on him to lift them for me and I hope to be able to use this equipment for the rest of my beekeeping years and not stop because I can't lift the supers anymore.
How many people are going to be in their eighties and going to lift deeps all day in the summer sun?
I don't see anyone doing that, unless they want to rely on someone else to do all the lifting for them and then its not really much of a hobby anymore if you can't be self reliant.
It seems to me that some people go with the deeps due to the cost of the mediums but then you hear people saying they are switching over to all mediums because of the weight, so you are buying equipment twice in order to keep up a hobby, not very cost effective.
There WILL come a time that everyone will have some trouble lifting deeps all day unless they get out of beekeeping before their old age, so anyone who is not 20 years old and hopes to have their equipment see them through for the rest of their beekeeping years should consider 8 frames, mediums or 8 frame mediums.
It makes sense to think ahead when you are investing time and money like this and tunnel vision can be expensive.
While mediums may not be everyone's choice, it is very unhelpful to discourage people from considering all their options or risk being labeled a pansy when they are making an expensive decision based on someone's advice and its further unhelpful to make people feel they have to explain themselves or defend their choices.
Also, your equipment is NOT all interchangeable if you use deeps and mediums since you have different size frames.
All mediums are truly and completely interchangeable.

Offline iddee

• Universal Bee
« Reply #22 on: March 10, 2009, 10:48:50 pm »
Thanks, Natalie. I was beginning to think my tongue-in-cheek post was being ignored. I happen to be 63 and hurt my back in a fall at age 14. I have had back problems ever since.

My advice on size of boxes and what protective equipment to wear is always:
"What you are comfortable with".

I don't think there is a "one size fits all" in either.
"Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me . . . Anything can happen, child. Anything can be"

*Shel Silverstein*

Offline Daddys Girl

• House Bee
« Reply #23 on: March 11, 2009, 01:59:22 am »
A friend with many years of beekeeping pointed out to me that the danger to the bees is less CCD--and more due to the loss of beekeepers to old age, injury, and disinterest.  It's a point worth noting in this discussion.

I'm converting to all mediums this year, because I am seeing a lot of oldtimers talking about how that 100# of Deep is getting to be too much, and I see myself getting there all too soon.  My back isn't bad from ill use, and it is actually getting better now, thanks to some positive steps I've taken to make it better.  Stronger than I have been in years.  Still don't wanna lift 100# so I can keep bees.

I'm not sure which forum it was in, but one beek said that were it not for 40 years worth of Langstroth equipment, he'd be doing Top Bar Hives.  In fact, I must admit that had I done a little more research a little sooner, I might never have had the Langstroth hive I do have.  This isn't TBH evangelism, but rather an admission that I find not having to lift anything heavier than the lid of the hive even better than not having to lift a 100# Deep.

I like uniformity.  Lots.  I'll probably keep the Deeps around for a while, because it will make a quick and dirty swarm trap, if nothing else.  The only reason I have them in the first place is the same reason why a lot of beeks have them--they were part of the kit we bought to get us started.  Thankfully, supplier catalogs started to acknowledge the desire of the all-medium school this year, and were actually selling kits that reflected that thinking.  Cool.  Means that people are asking for them.

I was telling someone today that a lot of new beeks are simply not prepared for that moment, oh, about mid summer, in the 80 degree heat, sweat dripping, suit sticking to you, flopping around heavy deeps and trying to do an inspection in a cloud of irritated bees.  Really makes you wonder if you really want to keep doing it or not.  My guess is that with 65# Mediums, that moment won't be quite so bad.  Someday, I'll cut my boxes down to 8 frame and finally enter Nirvana.  ;)

« Last Edit: March 11, 2009, 04:43:29 pm by Daddys Girl »

Offline derrick1p1

• House Bee
« Reply #24 on: March 11, 2009, 04:12:31 pm »
Every talk I heard and book I read said to buy a deep for brood and mediums for supers.  Didn't even think all mediums was possible.  Hopefully, more and more newbies will know this is an option to consider.  I only have a few hives, and I can cut the deeps and frames down to mediums so the cost isn't too high, but would have saved time and labor if I'd started out mediums in the beginning. 
Although weight is a definite benefit, and I'm sure to appreciate it more when the temps are in the 90's +, being able to interchange equipment from any or all hives will help me in the future I hope.

I won't let grass grow under my feet, there will be plenty of time to push up daisies.