Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: mite test result question  (Read 1101 times)

Offline rober

• Field Bee
mite test result question
« on: September 26, 2011, 02:13:55 pm »
i just finished a mite test. they are present which is no surprise but there is another critter i'm not sure about. it is about the same size as a varroa mite. it is brown & appears to have a hard shell like a beetle. any input?

Offline rober

• Field Bee
Re: mite test result question
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2011, 06:44:47 pm »
i looked at these mini beetles with a magnifying glass. could these be newly hatched small hive beetles? they are reddish brown with dark spots & about 3/32"
long

Offline mikecva

• Field Bee
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2011, 07:37:16 pm »
Without a picture, we would be guessing. How many legs, body parts, round or oblong ect.  See my point? What were the results of your test (count) and what method of testing did you use? You are not near me but a lot of us like to keep tabs on the mite results.  -Mike
Listen to others but make your own decisions. That way you own the results.
Please remember to read labels.

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2011, 12:01:34 am »
In a healthy untreated bee colony there are hundreds of insect species, scores of mite species, tens of thousands of microorganism species.  Out of all of these the only ones that cause problems very often are three insects, two mites, two fungi, three bacteria and a few viruses.  It could be a lot of things...

Varroa are about that size about that color with no spots and are flat with very short legs around the edge.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

anything