Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: North Georgia (Marietta), what flowers are blooming?  (Read 1565 times)

Offline The Dregs

• New Bee
North Georgia (Marietta), what flowers are blooming?
« on: May 19, 2007, 08:47:56 pm »
 I know there are several members on this board who live in the same area as me, name Marietta in North Georgia. I am not a native (who is, around here?), and i was never much into plants. Until now that is. the only plants that I can really recognize near me are pine, lots of oak, and some maple. Also wisteria and a who lot of poison ivy. I don't think this is too helpful in determining where my bees are heading for honey.

If anyone could give me some pointers on the local bee-friendly fauna, Id really appreciate it.

Offline doak

• Super Bee
Re: North Georgia (Marietta), what flowers are blooming?
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2007, 10:20:47 pm »
Privi hedges are blooming now. Believe it or not bees do work poison oak/ivy. Persimons should be  or will soon.The short clover that blooms white, blooms year round. When the blooms on the clover turn brown, just clip with a weedeater and water if you can. they will bloom again in a week or two.  The Tulip popular just finished up. Black gum/tupelo is or will soon. Bout all I can think of right now.
The maple will be one of the first, sometime as early as Jan. Followed by redbud and dogwood.
Hope this helps.
doak

Offline The Dregs

• New Bee
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2007, 11:03:43 pm »
Thanks alot! that does help. Poison ivy honey. Just imagine that! I wish I could watch the bees work my clover, but my daughters tend to pick the flowers as soon as they bud. Drives me nuts.

Offline tillie

• Super Bee
  • Bee in N Georgia on a Blackberry flower
    • Linda T's Bees
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2007, 11:53:38 pm »
Blackberry is finishing up in the Atlanta area but there are plenty of blooms still on the plants. 

LT in the mountains

anything