Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Nosema?  (Read 3764 times)

Offline bassman1977

• "King Bee"
  • Super Bee
Nosema?
« on: March 06, 2006, 11:47:50 pm »
Hive two has a lot of brown "poo" on the front of the hive.  Can this be nosema?  Hive one is clean as a whistle?  Is there a difference with bees just having the hershey squirts and having nosema or is it one in the same?  I will post a pic of the hive tomorrow if I can get some time to do so.  I have some Fumagilen-B on order just in case.
(\__/)
(='.'=)
(''')_(''')

Offline Finsky

• Super Bee
Re: Nosema?
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2006, 02:53:13 am »
Quote from: bassman1977
Hive two has a lot of brown "poo" on the front of the hive.  .

It is good sign of nosema. Another is that if you give pollen patty they are not able to consume it.

Offline Kris^

• Field Bee
Nosema?
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2006, 08:49:00 am »
The nuc I made from one of my weak hives has brown stains at the entrance.  I put half a pollen patty and a pint of Fumadilan-B syrup on top.  They haven't touched the syrup, and I haven't checked yet to see if they are consuming the patty.  I did provide them with several frames of honey and pollen, though.  One thing I did notice is that, although the nuc is well populated, there are few bees flying.  The other three strong hives have been flying like crazy!  I can only guess that the bees in the nuc are nurse bees, seeing as most of the field bees died due to the bottom board problem I had earlier in the season.

-- Kris

Offline Robo

• Technical
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Beekeep On!
    • Bushkill Bee Vac
Re: Nosema?
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2006, 10:51:11 am »
Hive two has a lot of brown "poo" on the front of the hive.  Can this be nosema?

Maybe

Is there a difference with bees just having the hershey squirts and having nosema or is it one in the same?

Yes,  the dark brown "poo" is a sign of dysentery.  With dysentery, the bees may or may not have nosema. To diagnose nosema you need to view the bee internals under a microscope.
"Opportunity is missed by most people because it comes dressed in overalls and looks like work." - Thomas Edison

Offline abejaruco

• Field Bee
Nosema?
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2006, 07:14:45 am »
Hi, friends!
It is time to treat nosema with fumidil-b? It is not late?
Can you save that ill and weak hive?
Can Nosema kill a hive or only can kill weak and with bad queens hives? Are you wasting your time with ill hives?
That are questions that you have to answer before using fumidil. I think.
Personally I don´t use Fumidil-B.
Requeening and thymol are my way.

anything