Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: 2 Quick Clarification Questions  (Read 1611 times)

Offline Chrisd4421

• House Bee
2 Quick Clarification Questions
« on: July 02, 2010, 09:07:55 am »
hi all
   Two questions - First, I am with my first hive - all mediums - no foundation - I have 3 mediums on already, the third being 3/4 full of comb.  Do I add my 4th medium now?  Or wait until it is 3/4 full of brood and honey?  Second - how high in terms of mediums should a hive go?  Logically I would say 6 - but I don't know.

Thanks
/Chris in NJ

Offline BeeHopper

• Queen Bee
Re: 2 Quick Clarification Questions
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2010, 10:10:28 am »
hi all
   Two questions - First, I am with my first hive - all mediums - no foundation - I have 3 mediums on already, the third being 3/4 full of comb.  Do I add my 4th medium now?  Or wait until it is 3/4 full of brood and honey?  Second - how high in terms of mediums should a hive go?  Logically I would say 6 - but I don't know.

Thanks
/Chris in NJ

Chris,

You'll get different opinions on this one. I would add a box if it were 7 frames FULL of whatever. If they are just building comb and not filling it, I would add another medium just to see what they would do, normally I would not give them too much room. As far as how many mediums high, I would go as far as they need it , keep in mind that 3 mediums are the equivalent of 2 deeps here in South Jersey for overwintering.

Online Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2010, 05:21:46 am »
Basically three mediums equals to deeps.  I've had hives stacked up as high as I could reach starting at the ground.  I've had them on 8" stands that were so high I had to put the top box on with a ladder...
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline MacfromNS

• House Bee
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2010, 03:38:36 pm »
Now that would be a pain in the butt to have to get the ladder out. :)
The most beautiful thing is to see a person smiling.
And even more beautiful is knowing that you are the reason behind it!!!
Mac

anything