Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Plant identification - especially eucalypts  (Read 3408 times)

Offline OzBuzz

• Queen Bee
Plant identification - especially eucalypts
« on: February 13, 2011, 05:30:19 pm »
G'day Everybody,

Just wondering if there is a good reference out there for the identification of nectar/pollen plants for beekeeping? specifically in regard Eucalyptus spp?

Cheers

Oz

Offline philinacoma

• House Bee
Re: Plant identification - especially eucalypts
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2011, 08:51:49 am »
Honey flora of Victoria (if you can find it) last edition was 1973. First was about 1916. Apparently some of the nomenclature is out of date, but atleast it's a good start.

I contacted the person who updated it in 1973 who's a semi retired apairy officer in Knoxfield but he said the government is unlikely to provide any funding for the project.

Offline OzBuzz

• Queen Bee
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2011, 12:44:15 pm »
It would be great if there was an online resource whereby you could put in certain characteristics from a drop down box with photographic examples etc...

Thanks for the info Phil!

Offline sausage

• New Bee
    • http://waynejohnson.net
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2011, 09:14:07 pm »
I have a copy of Brooker, I., Kleinig, D.(1996) Eucalyptus, An illustrated guide to identification.

Mine is the 1996 edition. It has the right idea, using tree type, bark type, bud count, fruit shape and size, leaf type, colour, location etc.

But I have difficulty using the guide as it expects bud counts to be 1, 3, 7 or >7 and I have a eucalyptus tree with 6 buds as standard.

Maybe a later edition corrects this and might be helpful.

Offline Lone

• Queen Bee
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2011, 04:01:46 am »
The best way is to ask the old timers in your area, Oz.  They might give you unusual names for trees, but they'll know all about the wood and if it makes good fence posts or shovel handles.  At least, that happened today when I was walking through the paddock with one of the old blokes.  I thought I knew every kind of tree on the block by now, but we came across a tree he called a scabby gum which I'd never heard of before.  And it does make good fence posts, by the way. 
If you have a stortage of old timers (usually they can be found perching on a Seat of Knowledge at the local mall), you could take a sample or picture of the tree to the local nursery for an indentification. You'll even get the added bonus of a technically correct name that way.
To find out whether the flowers make good nectar or pollen is a bit more tricky, but generally the local beeks can give you information or at least an opinion on that.
You could start writing down information about the local trees in a diary with when they flower, and take photos.  You'll get used to the different varieties soon.

Lone

Offline sausage

• New Bee
    • http://waynejohnson.net
« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2011, 08:28:43 pm »
It would be great if there was an online resource whereby you could put in certain characteristics from a drop down box with photographic examples etc...

Looks like I finally found one. Google in Australia for Eucalink. Once there, click the identification link on the right hand side. here you will get a full page of drop down identification parameters, like location, tree type, colouring, bark type, fruit, etc etc. This one has helped me narrow down the choice of what my tree is.

There are no photos though. Once you get the name of possibles, copy/paste the term into google images or flickr.