Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: bee-ginner in Utah  (Read 1946 times)

Offline bmacior

• House Bee
bee-ginner in Utah
« on: July 13, 2008, 12:18:11 am »
Hi,

I'm new to beekeeping this year, thanks to a friend at work who talked about putting a hive or two on our 5 acre property.  I still haven't figured out how that turned into me getting my own hives.

Been stung twice this year, both times my fault.  The first time must have only been half a sting as there was no stinger, hardly turned red, hardly itched, hardly swelled up.  The second time I ended up in the ER for several hours with all the symptoms of an allergic reaction.  And they say less than 1% is allergic to bee stings.  Sure surprised me.  I know wasp venom has a different chemical makeup from bee venom, and other than severe itching my wasp stings were no big deal.  Anyway, I'm hanging in there, fully protected.

It's been a rather disheartening first bee year for me.  Our spring was very cold and wet, and my package of bees have not done much.  They have finally drawn out the bottom brood box.  I did move a frame up into the second box to encourage them to move up.  Needless to say there will be no honey harvest this year.  Of course a honey harvest the first year is not ncessarily to be expected.  Even the experienced beekeepers around here are having the same problems, so I guess it's not necessarily my beekeeping abilities or lack there of.  Don't know if they will make through to spring.  If they do great, if not at least I'll have drawn out frames.  Not to give up hope though.  Already planning for next year.  Going to get a couple of more hives and see if I can't buy some nucs locally.

I picked Eyore as my first set of girls are two BLM wild burros, sweet Belle (she was one of the featured wild donkeys at the Salt Lake City 2002 winter Olymics) and problem child Sadie.

Anyway I enjoy reading what you all have to say.  I have a lot of learning to do.

Barb

Offline Frantz

• Field Bee
Re: bee-ginner in Utah
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2008, 01:08:06 am »
Barb,
Welcome, we are up here in SLC. You will find a lot of good beeks here thats for sure. We swap a lot of good info as well. I am new to this addicting hobby as well. This group has been extremely helpful. I got a OB hive this last month. That has taught me a lot, it is amazing to see the stuff that they do on a day to day basis. Watched them raise a couple of queens. Its amazing.
Boy this spring was a bad one wasn't it. Good luck, let us know if we can be of any bee help.
F
Don't be yourself, "Be the man you would want your daughters to marry!!"

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
Re: bee-ginner in Utah
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2008, 05:18:44 pm »
Barb, welcome to our forum, you will love to spend time here, make new friends, get advice, we are all here to help and encourage.  You will one day have honey, just be patient, as you are doing.  Usually when one gets package bees, the first year is the building up year.  The next year is the honey year.  Keep learning about the bees, you will become more and more intrigued, falling under their spell, they have that way about them.  Good luck, and have the best of a wonderful day, Cindi
There are strange things done in the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold.  The Arctic trails have their secret tales that would make your blood run cold.  The Northern Lights have seen queer sights, but the queerest they ever did see, what the night on the marge of Lake Lebarge, I cremated Sam McGee.  Robert Service

anything