Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Where do you get hardware cloth in Aust  (Read 18343 times)

Offline Shanevrr

• Field Bee
Re: Where do you get hardware cloth in Aust
« Reply #20 on: November 02, 2011, 10:54:25 pm »
Yea its hard to recommend when most folks here live in US, didnt see your profile
www.Valleybeesupply.com
"A responsible beekeeper is a successful one"
Shane C.

Offline ShaneJ

• Field Bee
« Reply #21 on: November 02, 2011, 11:11:59 pm »
No worries mate, its all good.

I just rang Sefar again and talked them around. Just ordered 2M.
Shane

Offline Meadlover

• House Bee
« Reply #22 on: November 03, 2011, 02:16:45 am »
I have found some 3.1mm 0.9mm 1550mm wide

$125+ per meter!!

I called them today and yep - no more selling to the public :(
Where did you source this 3.1mm stuff from? 3.1mm sounds like a better size mesh to me.

Offline ShaneJ

• Field Bee
« Reply #23 on: November 03, 2011, 02:22:29 am »
I have 2M coming from SEFAR.

The 3.1mm was from a company called Locker Group. Their number is 37103000. I didn't write down the part number but you can use my enquiry ref# which is ww03111104

The difference between 3.3mm and 3.1mm isn't enough to warrant the difference is price is it?
Shane

Offline ShaneJ

• Field Bee
« Reply #24 on: November 03, 2011, 02:23:03 am »
Double post.
Shane

Offline Meadlover

• House Bee
« Reply #25 on: November 03, 2011, 02:36:44 am »
The 3.1mm was from a company called Locker Group. Their number is 37103000. I didn't write down the part number but you can use my enquiry ref# which is ww03111104
Thanks, I might give them a call, or call back Sefar and hassle them again  8-)

The difference between 3.3mm and 3.1mm isn't enough to warrant the difference is price is it?
I seemed to have no bees get through the mesh for a full year, then a heap seemd to get through over a month or so period, now still a few but not heaps.

Did you price the 3.0mm mesh from Sefar?

What price did they do yours for? (Did you get the same stuff I did?)

ML

Offline ShaneJ

• Field Bee
« Reply #26 on: November 03, 2011, 02:45:17 am »
No I didn't price the 3mm stuff from SEFAR.

They did the 3.3mm for $81+GST Code: W006-20-124 which is 2mm wider than what you got from them.

If you call them again just say you want to do a cash sale. Their min order is $100.
Shane

Offline Robo

• Technical
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Beekeep On!
    • Bushkill Bee Vac
« Reply #27 on: November 03, 2011, 09:08:57 am »
Shane,

Don't know what's available in Australia,  but just want to let you know there is nothing special about the size hardware cloth that is used.  The only requirement is that the bees can't pass thru it.   Iddee has taught me that stiffer hardware cloth like #8 has much less issues than say metal window screening as it holds it's shape better and will not collapse and that is all I use now.   With that said,  window screening does work and I have used it many times,  and if it was going to cost me $100 to buy hardware cloth,  I would highly consider a cheaper window screen if available.  Especially since the trap out is next door and you could keep a close eye on it and address any cone issues in a timely manner.  There comes a point where it is cheaper to just buy bees than invest heavily in a trap out.

rob....
"Opportunity is missed by most people because it comes dressed in overalls and looks like work." - Thomas Edison

Offline iddee

• Universal Bee
« Reply #28 on: November 03, 2011, 09:18:10 am »
Robo is correct there, Shane. Any screen will work, as long as the bees can't return and it doesn't collapse and block their exit. A solid funnel will not work. The bees can see the entrance with the funnel, and will orientate to it, but can not see the entrance in a wire cone.
"Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me . . . Anything can happen, child. Anything can be"

*Shel Silverstein*

Offline ShaneJ

• Field Bee
« Reply #29 on: November 03, 2011, 07:34:29 pm »
Thanks guys.

I wasn't sure if the mesh did have much of an effect or not and because of the time frame I have to work with and the fact that this will be my first trap out, I just wanted to do it perfectly. I will see if I can find some other metal mesh though.

Shane
Shane

Offline Robo

• Technical
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Beekeep On!
    • Bushkill Bee Vac
« Reply #30 on: November 03, 2011, 07:51:34 pm »
I just wanted to do it perfectly.

I'm still trying to achieve that perfect trap out as well  ;)
"Opportunity is missed by most people because it comes dressed in overalls and looks like work." - Thomas Edison

Offline ShaneJ

• Field Bee
« Reply #31 on: November 03, 2011, 09:54:47 pm »
Don't worry, I'll show you hows its done..

:-P :roll:
Shane

Offline Grieth

• House Bee
« Reply #32 on: November 04, 2011, 08:35:04 am »
I gave up on getting hardware cloth at a decent price.

I have used aluminum fly screen to trap some bees out of my brick vents.  Turned out it was a swarm or scouts, and they happily took up resident in my ply 5 frame nuc with a lure when I set it next to the flyscreen comb.
"The time has come," the walrus said, "to talk of many things:
Of shoes and ships - and sealing wax - of cabbages and kingsā€
Lewis Carroll

Offline dermot

• New Bee
« Reply #33 on: December 09, 2012, 10:21:13 am »
Don't know if it's a bit late to add to this discussion - but I spent a bit of time experimenting with as many samples of gutter guard and perforated mesh as I could find by putting a handful of bees in a jar to make sure they couldn't get through and SHB in a jar to make sure they would get through.

The perfect answer was expanded aluminium with a diamond shaped hole.

This is available from Expanded Metal Products  in 400mm or 600 mm widths for less than $10 a metre

I think they've had enough enquiries from beekeepers now that if you ring they'll know what product you need.

BTW, here in Canberra we've had SHB since January 2010 and i was expecting that this summer would see their numbers to have grown to problem levels. I'm glad to say that so far this season I've (gladly) been wrong. Amongst beekeeepers here the story seems to be consistent- a minority of hives free of SHB, the rest with 2 or 3 and rarely up to a dozen. I'm in touch with a majority of ACT beeks through the local association and haven't heard of anyone losing a hive to SHB.

http://www.expandedmetal.com.au/patterns.htm
« Last Edit: December 09, 2012, 11:21:24 am by Robo »

anything