Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Hive inspections  (Read 2584 times)

Offline blanc

• House Bee
Hive inspections
« on: January 26, 2013, 08:37:12 am »
Well having 70 plus temps here in southeast Louisiana did my first inspections of hives and to my surprise all hives were busting at the seems. Some were making drone cells and other had plenty brood. Also noticed they were filling cells with honey. Had only one hive with bad cross combs but dedicated the time to look thru the hives being possible early spring. The only bad problem with that is citrus could bloom early and take a cold hit and loose flowers and partial crop as I have seen in times pass. We had lost hives due to hurricane and called CD Bailey to buy a hive couple months back and I tell you what, Bailey sold us a beautiful hive packed to the gills. I was trying to figure how they had any room in there for all of em.  :-D Thanks for the hive  CD!!!
Psalm 19:9-10
The fear of the Lord is clean,enduring forever; the judgments of the Lord are true and righteous altogether.
More to be desired are they than gold, yea ,than much fine gold: sweeter also than honey and the honeycomb.

Offline AllenF

• Galactic Bee
Re: Hive inspections
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2013, 09:19:34 am »
 :)

Sounds like spring is right around the corner for you.

Offline Joe D

• Super Bee
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2013, 10:55:37 am »
Was going to inspect mine yesterday, was warm enough but windy.  Will get em in a few days.  We will be a little behind you, being a little farther north.  Good luck to all.

Joe

Offline gov1623

• House Bee
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2013, 12:01:20 pm »
Maple just started blooming here. Bees working them big time. All my hives are looking real strong for this time of year. Full frames of brood, fresh nectar and drones. Thinking of making early splits!!!!
Who Dat!!!

Offline T Beek

• Super Bee
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2013, 01:57:03 pm »
This is one of my favorite parts of BeeMaster; witnessing Springs arrival in the South and observing the actions and duties undertaken by Beeks as it continues its push North.  Any Beek can learn a lot just by paying attention. 

Although we're are months away from 'bee friendly' weather, we might get above freezing (32F) tomorrow!  First time in over a week and hopefully allowing for mass cleansing flights, and maybe the pipes will finally thaw.
"Trust those who seek the truth, doubt those who say they've found it."

Offline blanc

• House Bee
« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2013, 04:11:26 pm »
Maple just started blooming here. Bees working them big time. All my hives are looking real strong for this time of year. Full frames of brood, fresh nectar and drones. Thinking of making early splits!!!!

I was forced to take out some brood because of the cluster mess and did a split so hoping the nuc survives. Put some simple syrup on em right away.
The fear of the Lord is clean,enduring forever; the judgments of the Lord are true and righteous altogether.
More to be desired are they than gold, yea ,than much fine gold: sweeter also than honey and the honeycomb.

Offline bailey

• Field Bee
« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2013, 07:11:48 pm »
Hey blanc.  Thanks for the compliment.
I think a split right now just might do ok.  There is a big buildup going on right now and unless we get some cold that split should work out. 
Keep enough bees in it to be sure.

I'm probably going to  start making nucs in about a week or so. 
I'm seeing early spring all around me here. 
Bailey
most often i find my greatest source of stress to be OPS  ( other peoples stupidity )

It is better to keep ones mouth shut and be thought of as a fool than to open ones mouth and in so doing remove all doubt.

Offline Nature Coast Beek

• House Bee
  • Suck it up, buttercup!
    • Both Feet In
« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2013, 07:29:43 pm »
Full hive inspections tomorrow, we'll see. There is a bit of a "flow" on right now. Maples are done, got oaks with leaves coming. Also tomorrow...getting them garden beds turned, got tomatoes that need getting in the ground.  :-D

Offline blanc

• House Bee
« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2013, 08:29:21 pm »
Hey Bailey,
Was real surprised at the build up myself and set some traps around the yard figuring on a swarm or two unless I can avert it. I am building nucs for those we will get from you but I think it will be a very productive year and don't want to get caught with my pants down.  8-)
Blanc