Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Mold Problem  (Read 1921 times)

Offline melnik

• New Bee
Mold Problem
« on: July 08, 2009, 01:10:56 pm »
Hi, i am really new to this forum so i apologize if this question has been asked already. We had a very rainy summer so far and yesterday i noticed that there is mold developing between the inner cover and the feeding box. Is this dangerous and what is the best way to remove it, clean it out completely?

Offline John Schwartz

• House Bee
    • The Bee Farm
Re: Mold Problem
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2009, 01:19:22 pm »
Hi, i am really new to this forum so i apologize if this question has been asked already. We had a very rainy summer so far and yesterday i noticed that there is mold developing between the inner cover and the feeding box. Is this dangerous and what is the best way to remove it, clean it out completely?

Hi Melnik :)

Yes -- a hive needs to be warm and dry. Mold/moisture will eventually lead to disease and sick bees. I would immediately work on improving air-flow in your hive. It can be as easy as adding a stick to a corner between cover and inner cover or as complicated as adding a nice ventilation box which I use in the Northwest where we have lots of similar issues.

I wouldn't worry too much about existing mold and first get airflow right.

Blessings,
John Schwartz
―John Schwartz, theBee.Farm

Offline melnik

• New Bee
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2009, 02:02:43 pm »
What would be the best way to clean it out? Can i use stuff like bleach cleaner or spray-nine, and then wash it well?

Offline John Schwartz

• House Bee
    • The Bee Farm
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2009, 02:06:17 pm »
What would be the best way to clean it out? Can i use stuff like bleach cleaner or spray-nine, and then wash it well?

I personally would just rub it off well without cleaner or use some lite apple-cider vinegar/water mix.
―John Schwartz, theBee.Farm

Offline Wynoochee_newbee_guy

• House Bee
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2009, 01:11:24 am »
Use a screen bottom board and that will im prove your ventalation problems big time.
Its All Fun And Games Till I lose an EYE!

anything