Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: When should I add supers to package?  (Read 1890 times)

Offline Erich

• New Bee
When should I add supers to package?
« on: April 23, 2006, 11:28:59 am »
How should I know when to add supers to a hived package? The temperatures here still dropping into mid and lower 30's at night. I have only had them for two weeks.  I hear it's beeter to add too soon than too late. Thanks in advance.   Erich

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2006, 05:57:51 pm »
The general rule has always been 80% of the current box is full. When it's 80% full add more boxes. By the time you're up the supers, you can add them more quickly, like when the previous one is 50% drawn.  If you have drawn comb, you can throw it all on when they start making white wax.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline Erich

• New Bee
Thanks for the reply
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2006, 07:06:40 pm »
Pardon my inexperience, is that 80% full of honey, brood or bees? Maybe I should be more specific. The next box I add I assume should be brood frames. I have plenty of drawn comb. Former brood and honey frames. I take it they will do with it as they please.  I'm just trying to make it as easy for them as possible. Maybe I try too much. Probably common for us hobby keepers.  Thanks again Michael Bush.

Erich

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2006, 08:32:01 pm »
I'd say 80% drawn if it's foundation.  I'd say 80% full of bees and honey if it's drawn comb.  In other words if only two frames have nothing in them, it's probably time to add a box.  Once the flow is on, all bets are off and I'd pile supers of drawn comb on.  But bare foundation, I'd still add a little at a time so they don't chew up the foundation.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

anything