Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Swarm # 4 and the Schawee Shake  (Read 2034 times)

Offline blanc

• House Bee
Swarm # 4 and the Schawee Shake
« on: March 31, 2013, 05:15:37 pm »
 Sorry but no pics on this run but this is the third swarm from the same hive and I was determined to get the queen on this one. Saw schawee's technique with a box and I brought one along. The folks were BB&Q ing in the back yard when they swarmed and kinda freaked at the thousands of bee all around them. I told them it should not last long and should settle down somewhere. By the time I got there 10 min. later they had settled in a fig tree about 15 ft away from the main hive. Broke the box out suited up and shook the tree and most stayed in the box but no queen. My veil was a hindrance  and took it off as they were staying away from my face anyway. Took about 10 min. searching and a couple shakes but she was on the tree crawling around and I nabbed her a put her in a nuc and did one last shake and all is said and done. Will return tonight and grab em up. They are prolly a 2 1/2 lb bunch maybe three. I was thinking the main hive must be pretty huge to swarm out that many bees.
Psalm 19:9-10
The fear of the Lord is clean,enduring forever; the judgments of the Lord are true and righteous altogether.
More to be desired are they than gold, yea ,than much fine gold: sweeter also than honey and the honeycomb.

Offline Georgia Boy

• Field Bee
Re: Swarm # 4 and the Schawee Shake
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2013, 08:31:49 pm »
Way to go. Great job.   X:X X:X X:X X:X X:X X:X

And I'm jealous!   :(

Just hung a swarm trap in my backyard. Don't have any lemon grass oil yet but hope to get it this week. Right now hoping for just dumb luck.  :)

Hope you get bunches more.

David
"Give it All You've Got"
"Never give up. Never surrender."

Offline PLAN-B

• House Bee
  • When all else fails go to PLAN-BEE
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2013, 09:16:32 pm »
Way to go blanc--- this swarm came from one of your hives?
Marshall

Offline blanc

• House Bee
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2013, 09:44:46 pm »
Way to go blanc--- this swarm came from one of your hives?
It's a hive in the wall of a grandmother suite in this guy's yard about 10 min. from my house. Folks got my number last week from the fellow I keep bees on his property and they just keep calling.  :-D
The fear of the Lord is clean,enduring forever; the judgments of the Lord are true and righteous altogether.
More to be desired are they than gold, yea ,than much fine gold: sweeter also than honey and the honeycomb.

Offline PLAN-B

• House Bee
  • When all else fails go to PLAN-BEE
« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2013, 10:17:13 pm »
Nothing wrong with that... Lol keep em coming
Marshall

Moots

« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2013, 10:35:13 pm »
blanc,
Awesome....Got to love that you found the queen, I know that saved me from losing the swarm Schawee helped me with Thursday.  :)

I know being able to spot the queen is high on my list of things I want to accomplish as a newbie beek...That along with getting them to like me a little more and not want to sting me.  :-D

Offline blanc

• House Bee
« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2013, 12:06:55 am »
blanc,
Awesome....Got to love that you found the queen, I know that saved me from losing the swarm Schawee helped me with Thursday.  :)

I know being able to spot the queen is high on my list of things I want to accomplish as a newbie beek...That along with getting them to like me a little more and not want to sting me.  :-D

I am pretty fortunate Moots that the other two settled in even tho I did not spot the queen and are drawing comb already. That main hive produced at least 9 lbs of bees from the three swarms if I had to guess the weight. Pretty nice catch from just one contact. Got to love it.
Blanc

Offline bud1

• Heavenlyl Beekeeper
  • Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Field Bee
« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2013, 08:39:16 am »
blanc   go down to wally world and get you a pair of them little specks shawee has; once he gets those on he can tell you if a varona mite done trimed her toe nails
to bee or not to bee

Offline blanc

• House Bee
« Reply #8 on: April 01, 2013, 09:18:51 am »
blanc   go down to wally world and get you a pair of them little specks shawee has; once he gets those on he can tell you if a varona mite done trimed her toe nails
:laugh: :th_thumbsupup:

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #9 on: April 01, 2013, 01:04:27 pm »
 X:X :cheer:
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline schawee

• Field Bee
« Reply #10 on: April 01, 2013, 10:07:59 pm »
BUD YOU LET THE CAT OUT OF THE BAG,TELLING EVERYONE WHERE I GOT THEM EAGLE EYE GLASSES :-D
BEEKEEPER OF THE SWAMP

Offline bailey

• Field Bee
« Reply #11 on: April 01, 2013, 10:30:34 pm »
I have 2 pair but they don't work as good as his for some reason.
most often i find my greatest source of stress to be OPS  ( other peoples stupidity )

It is better to keep ones mouth shut and be thought of as a fool than to open ones mouth and in so doing remove all doubt.