Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Bears  (Read 3344 times)

Offline Eric Bosworth

• Field Bee
  • I love New York... I hate the government.
Bears
« on: November 23, 2014, 11:33:48 am »
OK... So last summer I lost bees to a bear. While I sit here in a tree with a gun waiting for Bambi should I shoot a bear if I see one? I have always wanted a bear skin rug. I have heard that bear tastes terrible and if I am not going to eat it I am not sure I could do a revenge killing just so I can get a rug. If I catch one in the act of eating my bees that is a different story.
All political power comes from the barrel of a gun. The communist party must command all the guns; that way, no guns can ever be used to command the party. ---Mao Tse Tung

Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote. ---Benjamin Franklin

Offline Hops Brewster

• Field Bee
Re: Bears
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2014, 08:38:22 pm »
If you have a tag, choot 'em!  
Like any critter, bear flesh takes on flavors from what they eat.  If you have a trash eating bear in your neighborhood, it will reflect it.  Eating apples, or honeybees,.. you get my drift.  And, as you know from processing deer, how you handle the carcass and process the meat has a lot to do with the flavor and quality as well.
And thirdly, the recipe and preparation have the final say.    I've had real good bear meat and bad.

Killing a bear that has been destroying hives IS NOT revenge!  It is depredation.  You are justifiably protecting livestock.
Winter is coming.

I can't say I hate the government, but I am proudly distrustful of them.

Offline Eric Bosworth

• Field Bee
Re:
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2014, 08:57:18 pm »
In New Yuck a big game or sportsman license include bear tags... One of the two best investments of my life was my lifetime sportsman license. I bought it in 2002 for $500. About 5 years ago the state had this great plan to raise revenue. I think it was about $90 for a resident sportsman. Last year it was $160 for nonresident small game and fishing. Amazingly enough people on the border said I think I'll just hunt in my home state and NY lost money. Shocker...
All political power comes from the barrel of a gun. The communist party must command all the guns; that way, no guns can ever be used to command the party. ---Mao Tse Tung

Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote. ---Benjamin Franklin

Offline AllenF

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2014, 09:50:02 pm »
I'd go for it.  Just remember to have a buddy to help drag it and load it with you. 

Offline Eric Bosworth

• Field Bee
Re:
« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2014, 09:55:54 pm »
Uh... Isn't that what tractors are for? If I can't fit it in the bucket I should be able to hang it from the bucket as long as I am careful.

Online Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2014, 11:42:43 am »
If you have a bear that is NOT eating your bees, it is displacing another bear who MIGHT eat your bees.  If they are not eating your bees, I would leave them alone and be glad you have one that is not into bees.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline Eric Bosworth

• Field Bee
Re:
« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2014, 08:30:56 pm »
Is there such a thing as a bear that would leave the bees alone? My dog saved my other hives. Then I strapped things down better.

Offline yantabulla

• House Bee
« Reply #7 on: November 27, 2014, 06:03:36 am »
Grateful we just have kangaroos

Offline Eric Bosworth

• Field Bee
Re:
« Reply #8 on: November 28, 2014, 08:28:09 pm »
Must be nice yantabulla...

Offline Richard M

• House Bee
    • Onsite Assessments Tas
« Reply #9 on: February 26, 2015, 06:20:03 am »
Grateful we just have kangaroos

We just have Devils.