Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Developed an Allergy... What Would You Do?  (Read 7645 times)

Offline johnnybigfish

• Super Bee
    • The World of Johnnybigfish
Re: Developed an Allergy... What Would You Do?
« Reply #20 on: September 13, 2008, 11:48:49 pm »
 I just have to ask. When you guys go to the emergency room with a bee sting, is it because you cant breath, or because of a lot of swelling. or what?
 I dont get sting reactions much anymore. I do notice that, for me, stings burn more in the summer than in the cooler months. I also keep an epipen handy as my wife hasnt been stung before and she seems to be allergic to everything.
your friend,
john

Offline mswartfager

• House Bee
« Reply #21 on: September 14, 2008, 09:21:08 am »
I was also wondering what kind of "reaction" you all are talking about.  I haven't been stung in years and have had my one hive since May of this year.  I haven't been stung while working with them, but got one on the top of my head while mowing the grass the other day and it hurt a lot more than I remember.  That evening and the next day I noticed glands swelling in my neck (and have kept swollen for about a week now).  Hope that's not a sign of worse things to come for me. 

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
  • I like doing cut-outs, but I love catching swarms!
    • JPthebeeman.com
« Reply #22 on: September 14, 2008, 01:05:04 pm »
I was also wondering what kind of "reaction" you all are talking about.  I haven't been stung in years and have had my one hive since May of this year.  I haven't been stung while working with them, but got one on the top of my head while mowing the grass the other day and it hurt a lot more than I remember.  That evening and the next day I noticed glands swelling in my neck (and have kept swollen for about a week now).  Hope that's not a sign of worse things to come for me. 

You need to take some benadryll NOW unless you already have or consult with your doctor NOW.

Glands swollen for an extended period is not a typical bee sting reaction by any stretch of the imagination.

...JP
My Youtube page is titled JPthebeeman with hundreds of educational & entertaining videos.

My website JPthebeeman.com http://jpthebeeman.com

Offline bailey

• Field Bee
« Reply #23 on: September 14, 2008, 02:33:40 pm »
i agree with JP!

i am a nurse, been one for 20 plus years.
the swelling of neck glands are not a typical reaction to the bee venom if it lasts a week.

if you are developing a systemic reaction to bee venom it might swell the lymph glands but i would also expect some breathing problems with this.

you could have other things going on, or you might be developing a serious allergic reaction.
either way a visit to the doctor is in order ASAP.

Bailey
most often i find my greatest source of stress to be OPS  ( other peoples stupidity )

It is better to keep ones mouth shut and be thought of as a fool than to open ones mouth and in so doing remove all doubt.

Offline bmacior

• House Bee
« Reply #24 on: September 14, 2008, 03:46:42 pm »
With my sting on the backside of my ear I got intense itching all over my body.  Don't remember my ear swelling, though my neck glands did somewhat.  Huge welts all over.  Some trouble breathing.  Then I almost fainted.  Would have collasped had my husband not been there to catch me.  That's when we decided to head for the hospital, 10 minutes away.  Half way there my breathing really got labored.  They had to bring a wheel chair to get me out of the car.  They put me on a monitor, oxygen and IV.  Since it had been somewhere between 30 to 60 minutes, the doctor did not give me shot, choosing to monitor me instead.  The almost fainting was due to low blood pressure.  They wanted to know if I have hay fever, I do.

Offline Kimbrell

• House Bee
« Reply #25 on: September 15, 2008, 01:36:39 am »
The reaction I had included not having a measurable blood pressure, thready pulse, blacking out, intense itching, nausea, giant hives at sting site.  Due to a blood pressure medication I take my reaction didn't occur until 2 hours after the sting.  I have had bees for three years. I've been stung several times.  Evidently instead of having a lessened reaction over time, the severity of my reactions increased.-the last time exponentially!  I am very fortunate my husband was home to see my reaction and use the epi-pen on me.  (My husband has allergies.  It was his epi-pen.) I was in no shape to administer it.  Anyway the point I wanted to make was that I don't think taking a benadryll before I was stung would have prevented this type of reaction.  I filled the prescription the ER physician gave me for my own epi-pen.  I'm keeping it with me even after I get to maintenance on my desensitivity shots.  It was a very scary situation that I don't care to repeat.

Offline SgtMaj

• Queen Bee
« Reply #26 on: September 15, 2008, 07:51:05 am »
Anyway the point I wanted to make was that I don't think taking a benadryll before I was stung would have prevented this type of reaction.

Benadryll stops allergic reactions, even those that include anaphylactic shock (that's even on the EpiPen website).  Doesn't really matter what type of reaction you were having, if it's an allergic reaction, Benadryll will stop it. 

Offline johnnybigfish

• Super Bee
    • The World of Johnnybigfish
« Reply #27 on: September 15, 2008, 07:36:31 pm »
hey kimbrell, what medicine do you take for BP?
I take several pills a day and have been wondering myself if these meds would interact with bee stings...So far, for me, its been no big deal after being stung....yet....
your friend,
john

Offline Kimbrell

• House Bee
« Reply #28 on: September 15, 2008, 11:04:16 pm »
Benadryll is an antihistamine.  An epi-pen contains epinephrine.  The two are not eqivalent!  I had an anaphylactic reaction to my sting.  Benadryll would not have prevented that.  The epi-pen website states "patients should ask their physician whether antihistamines should be carried IN ADDITION TO epinephrine."  To my knowledge epi-pens are not prescribed for simple allergic reactions.  They are used to treat anapylactic reactions.  I would hate for someone to think they could use benadryll in pace of an epi-pen and have a bad outcome.  People should check with their doctors if they are unsure what to do.

The BP medication I was on that my doctor said caused a delayed reaction to my sting was a beta blocker.  I have had to change this medication since I started my desensitvity shots.

Offline SgtMaj

• Queen Bee
« Reply #29 on: September 16, 2008, 02:50:52 am »
Kimbrell, no one suggested getting rid of an EpiPen for benedryll.  Just that benedryll can be taken before working the hives to possibly prevent such a severe allergic reaction, and possibly prevent a person from having to get a refill on their epipen prescription.

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #30 on: September 16, 2008, 07:06:21 am »
>When I discussed this with the DR., he started talking about IGE levels and I decided to do it his way.
It appears "full strength" is a more than one bee sting.

One sting a day isn't hard to come by. :)  And they are cheaper and hurt less.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline charlescfry

• New Bee
    • Fry Farms
« Reply #31 on: September 22, 2008, 10:12:56 pm »
someone asked what reactions were to stings... so here is what happened to me (NOTE: i had been stung many times in the past with no reaction more severe than some local swelling and itching. and then...)

i was stung by about 6 bees in a matter of a couple minutes (goofed opening the hive, another topic!). my son and i retreated to the local diner to have lunch and regroup. during lunch - about 15 minutes later - i felt flush and my ENTIRE body itched. even the bottoms of my feet seemed to itch. in another 10 minutes, i could feel some swelling in my face (i had been stung in the arms and legs) and the feeling of prickly heat began to replace the flushed feeling. my son remarked "you are not looking so good dad" - and about that time i noticed my entire back was covered in hives. (this is the first and only time i have had hives in my life). we paid the bill and drove home - another 5 minutes. by the time we got there my face was very swollen - my lips were hard to recognize! i still had no trouble breathing, but was getting seriously worried. so off the to the ER we went. they knew i was on the way (sis is a nurse there) and they had the Benedryl and epi ready. once the drugs started flowing in through the IV, i could feel things reversing course. in 45 minutes to an hour, i was ready to go.

so... i did not pass out, fall over, stop breathing, or anything that extreme, but it was spooky enough. now the epi pen and Benedryl tabs are in the truck, i wear a full suit for the first time, and i keep working the bees.

charles
==================================
Charles Fry
Amateur Farmer & Entremanure
Fry Farms, Ohio, USA

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
  • I like doing cut-outs, but I love catching swarms!
    • JPthebeeman.com
« Reply #32 on: September 22, 2008, 11:52:24 pm »
Charles, sounds like you had your hands full! Glad you're ok, BTW love the pig in your avatar.

...JP
My Youtube page is titled JPthebeeman with hundreds of educational & entertaining videos.

My website JPthebeeman.com http://jpthebeeman.com

anything