Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Homemade foundation ?  (Read 17929 times)

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
Re: Homemade foundation ?
« Reply #60 on: January 14, 2013, 09:23:27 am »
>but now when is it safe here in Upstate to put empty frames in the brood nest?  Is there a risk of chilling brood doing this in early spring?

If the nights are still frosty and the population of bees is not dense, then it's too early.  If there are lots of bees and the nights are no longer frosty a frame in the brood nest is not an issue.  If the bees can quickly fill the space with festtoning bees they can handle it.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline Maryland Beekeeper

• House Bee
  • Nature does nothing uselessly. Aristotle
« Reply #61 on: January 14, 2013, 10:38:19 am »
Saperica,
 Thanks for the link.

Offline Acebird

• Galactic Bee
  • Just do it
« Reply #62 on: January 14, 2013, 12:53:26 pm »
i have found this site http://www.scienceinafrica.co.za/2006/february/beeswaxmould.htm whit detail instruction for DIY wax foundation press.
I see all kinds of problems with this method.  First of all silicone molds require a vacuum to pull out the bubbles you get from mixing the compounds.  I predict it will take several attempts to make this mold and I don't give it a high success rate.  Keeping the wax as a constant thickness with such a crude mold will be a trick.  And without a vacuum again it is likely you will have entrapped air in the wax.  Good luck
Brian Cardinal
Just do it

Offline Acebird

• Galactic Bee
  • Just do it
« Reply #63 on: January 14, 2013, 12:56:50 pm »
If the bees can quickly fill the space with festtoning bees they can handle it.

Thanks Michael
Brian Cardinal
Just do it

Offline BGhoney

• New Bee
« Reply #64 on: January 15, 2013, 12:42:08 am »
Be careful with bug screen some of it is treated with insecticide.  My aunt had several koi  in her pond die  from using window screen. it took several months to figure out what caused it. she lost several koi in her farm ponds . You could maybe soak it for several days to remove any possible treatment.

Offline Jim134

• Galactic Bee
    • Franklin County Beekeepers Association
« Reply #65 on: January 15, 2013, 06:53:10 am »
i have found this site http://www.scienceinafrica.co.za/2006/february/beeswaxmould.htm whit detail instruction for DIY wax foundation press.
I see all kinds of problems with this method.  First of all silicone molds require a vacuum to pull out the bubbles you get from mixing the compounds.  I predict it will take several attempts to make this mold and I don't give it a high success rate.  Keeping the wax as a constant thickness with such a crude mold will be a trick.  And without a vacuum again it is likely you will have entrapped air in the wax.  Good luck

Done that been their I did this in North Africa in 1983 work will

BEE HAPPY Jim 134 :)
"Tell me and I'll forget,show me and I may  remember,involve me and I'll understand"
        Chinese Proverb

"The farmer is the only man in our economy who buys everything at retail, sells everything at wholesale, and pays the freight both ways."
 John F. Kennedy
Franklin County Beekeepers Association MA. http://www.franklinmabeekeepers.org/

Offline Maryland Beekeeper

• House Bee
  • Nature does nothing uselessly. Aristotle
« Reply #66 on: January 15, 2013, 12:50:46 pm »
I have tried only aluminum screen as of yet.

Offline BlueBee

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #67 on: January 15, 2013, 06:11:53 pm »
I wonder if the bees will build better comb above or below a themocline?

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #68 on: January 16, 2013, 10:23:35 am »
Wax making and working requires a lot of heat.  Bees always build comb quicker when it's hot, all other things being equal, and if the outside temps are not hot they will have to generate the heat themselves.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
-------------------

Offline Finski

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #69 on: January 16, 2013, 10:59:57 am »
I wonder if the bees will build better comb above or below a themocline?

Bees make combs more when they need them for brood or for honey. They never do them because it is hot.
Language barrier NOT included

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #70 on: January 16, 2013, 12:48:01 pm »
>Bees make combs more when they need them for brood or for honey. They never do them because it is hot.

Yes.  But they can make it faster when there is heat and, all other things being equal (such as the need for comb) the difference is still dramatic.
-------------------

Offline edward

• Queen Bee
« Reply #71 on: January 16, 2013, 07:17:49 pm »
When I want my smaller hives to build wax I give them a hand by closing up the ventilation so they don't have to work as hard to keep the hive warm.

You need lots of young bees to make wax .

mvh edward  :-P

Offline saperica

• House Bee
« Reply #72 on: January 18, 2013, 04:55:14 am »
for avoiding problems whit sticking on silicone mould use a german Wabenlos paste, disolve 2g in one liter of water.
http://www.mojepcele.host56.com/web_images/vosak_wabelos-pasta-za-izljevanje-voska.gif
here is picture.
if you dont use compresed air is your answer. link bellow.
Pčelarstvo Damir Tafra - Izrada satnih osnova

and on following link is the answer how to sterilise wax.

stampo fogli cera
« Last Edit: January 18, 2013, 05:10:45 am by saperica »

Offline duck

• House Bee
    • Big Thicket Bees
« Reply #73 on: January 19, 2013, 09:10:47 pm »

Because a beekeepers put foundations in there. There is 150 years experience that it is a fine job. Bees do not need them, but beekeepers do.
Bees need only a dark cavity where to build their nest

where would we be if noone ever tried plastic foundations?? I for one would be dreading assembling the next order of frames and foundations.  Without experimentation there is no improvement.  To say that beekeeping has evolved to perfection  I think its a good idea.  however, id use the biggest mesh like 1/2" like a welded screen..  I have frames with starter strips that had extra wire stapled on. from top to bottom and side to side. not embedded.  they will fill it all in and embed the wire.  I have seen them build flat on plywood sheating on alot of cutouts.

I like the plastic, and just feed them heavy when you put it in to make em draw it.

anything