Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Wasp/yellow jackets consistantly in hive  (Read 7975 times)

Offline Sunnyboy2

• House Bee
Wasp/yellow jackets consistantly in hive
« on: September 03, 2012, 11:58:30 am »
Nubee here. I have one fairly small hive.  KTBH. As I have been checking through observation window I notice 2 to three wasps in the hive. I do not know where they are getting in from. I probably brought some of this on myself because I open fed in hopes of helping build up of stores as winter approaches. Expect first kill frost within two weeks.  I set wasp traps. Have caught nearly 50 wasps.  Any suggestions? Sure sign of week hive, but I need to max the chance of serviving comming long cold winter.  Thanks for any thoughts.

Offline Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
Re: Wasp/yellow jackets consistantly in hive
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2012, 12:09:26 am »
last year was really bad here.  trap as many as you can.  don't open feed.  reduce entrance to smallest size and then next year, get traps out early.  they can take out your queen and ruin your hive if they get the chance.  be sure to check that your queen is ok.
Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

Offline bbrowncods

• New Bee
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2012, 06:14:57 am »
Trap with Pepsi and a piece of hotdog in a water bottle w/ the top cutoff and turned upside down.  Used to do this around the house for general control.

Offline Sunnyboy2

• House Bee
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2012, 09:31:05 pm »
Thank you for the suggestions.  Traps are out, have killed many more than I thought would be around.  Heavy frost coming soon.

Offline Buzz Barfer

• Brood
« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2012, 11:03:51 am »
We have lost 3 hives in the last week and I am assuming it is from the yellow jackets enjoying their buffet of bees and honey.  The yellow jackets are just taking over the weaker hives.  Besides the traps sold at Lowe's and the Pepsi bottle/lunch meat(hot dog) trap, does anyone have any other suggestions of getting rid of these pests so that the last few hives that are still strong are able to survive? I already put the entrance reducers on and don't open feed.  Once we get our first good freeze, will they go away? I appreciate any advice you can give us. We have been fortunate enough to not have this problem in the past years.   Thank you!!

Offline AllenF

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2012, 03:03:14 pm »
Buzz, where are you located?   And there are many ways to kill yellow jackets, but I doubt yellow jackets are killing all your hives off.  Trap will work some, open poison works great.   Finding their holes and gassing them works the best.   

Offline Maryland Beekeeper

• House Bee
  • Nature does nothing uselessly. Aristotle
« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2012, 12:39:02 am »
Reduce entrances. 3/4"
Cheers,
Drew

Offline sterling

• Queen Bee
« Reply #7 on: October 31, 2012, 08:43:39 pm »
I haven't tried this yet but the speaker at the bee club meeting last month said yellowjackets can be controlled by taking a chunk of raw hamburger meat about five of the fake sugar packets called Equal mix it up with a spoon of sugar and put near the hives. Equal was origanal a pesticide used to kill ants. Yellowjackets around here like it to there demise the bees won't bother it. He also said Equal can be used to kill ants by mixing it with water put it in a bottle cap with #8 hardware cloth to keep the bees out.

Offline AllenF

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #8 on: October 31, 2012, 09:46:07 pm »
Not Equal, it was Splenda.      But Sevin works even better.....

Offline DryCreekGeezer

• New Bee
  • Don't worry, BEE happy.
« Reply #9 on: November 11, 2012, 12:10:36 am »
Snopes reports that "Splenda kills ants" is false.
Dry Creek Honey

Offline JPBEEGETTER

• House Bee
« Reply #10 on: November 17, 2012, 10:56:45 am »
I lost 4 strong hives this year to yj's ,too late tho I turned my wax moth traps into yj traps by adding Pepsi and 1 piece of hot dog in them have trapped over 200 of these rotten sob's  In five traps. I use the large gaterade bottles instead of sort drink bottles (larger top), and gassed 4 holes in ground. You need the vinegar in them also will keep bees out.   JPP

1 cup sugar
1 cup water
1/4 cup applecider vinegar
1 bannana peel aged
1 piece hot dog
1/2 pepsi or coke
drill 1" hole in side below curve
drill hole in top to hang by
KILL ALLYOU CAN  with my blessings

the firsr 4 ingredients are for the wax moths in spring, add las two in middle of summer when you start seeing yj's  JPP

Offline JPBEEGETTER

• House Bee
« Reply #11 on: November 25, 2012, 11:29:00 am »

With my blessings   KILL KILL .

Offline Linda32

• New Bee
« Reply #12 on: April 03, 2013, 07:16:28 am »
Trap with Pepsi and a piece of hotdog in a water bottle w/ the top cutoff and turned upside down.  Used to do this around the house for general control.
:-D how this trap will work... This is like giving an invitation of dinner to someone.

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #13 on: April 03, 2013, 09:15:09 am »
I would trap, I would also reduce the entrance of the hive to one bee wide using screen or #8 hardware cloth.  This adds confusion to the situation.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline Steel Tiger

• Field Bee
« Reply #14 on: April 08, 2013, 01:22:39 am »
I've seen someone selling fake hornet nest that you place around beehives. Apparently hornets will eat yellow jackets and wasp so they tend to stay away from their nest.