Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: mixing foundationless with foundation?  (Read 6386 times)

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
Re: mixing foundationless with foundation?
« Reply #20 on: April 11, 2009, 07:02:04 pm »
Perfect.  Not a problem.  Side to side is the issue.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline Brian D. Bray

• Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Galactic Bee
  • I really look like this, just ask Cindi.
    • http://spaces.msn.com/thecoonsden
« Reply #21 on: April 15, 2009, 02:24:37 am »
Oh and one more thing...the hives tilt slightly forward and are level from side to side.  Could this be a problem with foundationless?

With foundationless you'll find the bees to be a little more airborne than with foundation as opening the hive knocks a lot of the festooned bees free and with the open top they fly.  Once they have a few partial frames of foundation drawn this is reduced a lot.  The front to back slant won't bother anything but the side to side can make green comb bend and you can end up with a new frame of green comb being attached to a more mature frame of comb.
Life is a school.  What have you learned?   :brian:      The greatest danger to our society is apathy, vote in every election!

Offline Natalie

• Queen Bee
« Reply #22 on: April 15, 2009, 09:55:00 am »
I'm pondering installing a couple of my packages foundationless.  Anybody know exactly what i need to do?  Do i need to put wire in the frames?  Just curious to see how everybody is doing it.

I am doing foundationless too but I haven't tried the starter strips or popsicle sticks, so I can't comment on that.
I had some topbars made with the triangle cut into it all the way across and then I bought the end bars and solid bottom bars and assembled them.
They came out great.
I put them in the super with drawn foundation for them to use as guides.

anything