Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: 9 Frame Honey Supers  (Read 6566 times)

Offline AllanJ

• House Bee
9 Frame Honey Supers
« on: February 17, 2007, 01:24:49 pm »
Hi,

I read somewhere (sorry, forgot where) that reducing a 10 frame honey super to 9 frames can result in the comb being built out more and making it easier to harvest.  Any truth in this?  I notice that some companies sell 9 frame metal guides to be used in 10 frame bodies for this purpose. 

Thanks.
AJ.

Offline Mici

• Super Bee
  • tougher than rock
    • http://www.carantha.net/carantha_table_of_contents.htm
Re: 9 Frame Honey Supers
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2007, 01:48:35 pm »
i didn't read this topic very carefully since i don't keep in LR but if i'm correct, they say you have to put 10 frames for bees to build, once they are built you can take one out, since honey comb is wider/thicker than brood/pollen comb. easyer to manipulate?
anyway read that topic

Offline Stingtarget

• House Bee
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2007, 01:55:29 pm »
The first super I put on my hives was the traditional 10 frame.  After talking to another beekeeper I opted to try a medium set up with 9 frames.  At extracting time the 9 frame setup was obviously easier to cut the wax cappings off for extracting.  Each hive produced 3.5 gallons of honey from 1 shallow 10 frame super and 1 medium 9 frame super.  If switching to the 9 frame setup I'd recommed the medium super so that you don't lose honey by losing the 1 frame.

I am now using the 10 frame shallows for winter stores only.  ALL extracted surplus honey comes from 9 frame mediums.

Offline imabkpr

• House Bee
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2007, 01:58:51 pm »
Hi,

I read somewhere (sorry, forgot where) that reducing a 10 frame honey super to 9 frames can result in the comb being built out more and making it easier to harvest.  Any truth in this?  I notice that some companies sell 9 frame metal guides to be used in 10 frame bodies for this purpose. 

Thanks.
AJ.
 Yes, using 9 frames of comb in a 10 frame hive will let the comb be finished drawn out farther making it easier to uncap. You may even want to use only 8 frames in a 10 frame box if you want the extra wax.  But when starting with foundation use 10 frames in a 10 frame box, after it is drawn you can remove 1 frame if you want go with 9 frames.  In my deep brood chamber and all my honey supers i use 9 frames in a 10 frame box. I wouldn't waste my time getting the frame spacers you are talking about because you can't put 10 frames of foundation in boxes that have these spacers in them. Which means you would have boxes for drawing foundation and also different boxes for brood and honey.
                                                                                              Charlie

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2007, 02:06:30 pm »
>I read somewhere (sorry, forgot where) that reducing a 10 frame honey super to 9 frames can result in the comb being built out more and making it easier to harvest.  Any truth in this?

Typically most beekeepers use ten frames of foundation in the supers because the bees are less likely to mess up drawing the comb.  Some use nine, but, in my experience sometimes the bees will build combs between when you do that.  Then after harvesting and you have drawn comb, Most beekeepers use nine drawn comb in a ten frame box.  This make thicker comb that is much easier to uncap AND it takes less frames.  Some people even put eight drawn comb in a ten frame super.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline AllanJ

• House Bee
« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2007, 03:31:21 pm »
Thanks all for the info.. This is probably a very novice question, but..

"But when starting with foundation use 10 frames in a 10 frame box, after it is drawn you can remove 1 frame if you want go with 9 frames.  "

I keep seeing references to drawn comb and how once it is drawn you can remove it, store it, save it for next year etc.. but what does drawn comb look like and how would I know if foundation had been drawn? 

How long after the comb is drawn would the bees do something with it?  also, would they draw out all the frames or only when they needed the space?

Thanks!

Offline buzzbee

• Ken
  • Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
    • N Central Pa Beekeepers Facebook Page
« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2007, 03:52:31 pm »
Foundation would just be the flat sheet of wax you put in when a frame is new. Drawn comb is what you typically see where the honey and brood are.
This is foundation:
Drawn comb:

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2007, 04:01:07 pm »
Foundation is a sheet of wax (or plastic) that is about 1/16" thick or so.  Drawn comb is cells and it's about 1" thick or so.  The above pictures should help.

If you extract your honey you will have drawn comb left after you remove the honey and let the bees clean the wet supers.  If you do comb honey or crush and strain you will not get drawn comb unless you find some the bees have drawn and then emptied themselves.

>How long after the comb is drawn would the bees do something with it?

By the time cells are 1/4" deep they have eggs or nectar in them.

>  also, would they draw out all the frames or only when they needed the space?

Only when they need the space.

My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
-------------------

Offline Finsky

• Super Bee
« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2007, 04:03:45 pm »
9/10 frame system is not so amazing as it looks in this forum. It is fast seen when you do it.
Thick combs are nice to extract.

Offline AllanJ

• House Bee
« Reply #9 on: February 17, 2007, 05:05:19 pm »
>How long after the comb is drawn would the bees do something with it?
By the time cells are 1/4" deep they have eggs or nectar in them.
>  also, would they draw out all the frames or only when they needed the space?
Only when they need the space.

So, how do you end up with a body of clean drawn comb that can be stored over winter and used in the early spring?  If you put the wet supers back, wont the bees start to use them the moment they are clean? and would they clean all of them or just the ones they are going to use? 

Thanks!

Offline thegolfpsycho

• Field Bee
« Reply #10 on: February 17, 2007, 06:04:03 pm »
I put the supers back on, usually above the inner cover, so the bees will pull the last trace of honey back down into the brood nest.  During this time, the bees also protect the wax and I pull them off once we get some overnight freezing temps to knock the moths down.  On rare occassion, the bees have moved up into the super and the queen begins laying in it.  Thats an entirely different problem which then causes me to make frame manipulations to squeeze them back down into 2 boxes.  If I was running 100's of colonys, my style would be different, but with only a couple dozen, I don't mind the time with the bees.

Offline Kirk-o

• Queen Bee
« Reply #11 on: February 17, 2007, 06:24:34 pm »
what great Information
kirk-o
"It's not about Honey it's not about Money It's about SURVIVAL" Charles Martin Simmon

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #12 on: February 17, 2007, 06:49:45 pm »
>If you put the wet supers back, wont the bees start to use them the moment they are clean?

If there is a flow, yes.  If not, no.  Don't you want them full of honey?

> and would they clean all of them or just the ones they are going to use?

All of them because they are covered in honey.
-------------------

Offline AllanJ

• House Bee
« Reply #13 on: February 17, 2007, 07:25:21 pm »
Thanks everyone for your time and get info..