Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Next Generation Bee Keeper  (Read 2093 times)

Offline blanc

• House Bee
Next Generation Bee Keeper
« on: February 11, 2013, 04:55:05 pm »

This is my grandson Liam who is 4 years old. This is our next generation beekeeper.Building wooden ware and frames and Liam is anxious to paint for real the first time. I hate painting so he can have it !  :-D
Blanc
Psalm 19:9-10
The fear of the Lord is clean,enduring forever; the judgments of the Lord are true and righteous altogether.
More to be desired are they than gold, yea ,than much fine gold: sweeter also than honey and the honeycomb.

Offline Bush_84

• Field Bee
Re: Next Generation Bee Keeper
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2013, 06:49:04 pm »
Ya put him to work!

My son is 4.  Last year he "helped me paint.". Let's just say that it would have been less messy and went faster without him, but wouldn't have been nearly as fun.  He has his own "tool box" and will sometimes like to help me out in the garage, but power tools can get a little tricky with kids around. 

I do think that it's awesome to get my kids in a bee suite and around bees.  My 2 year old isn't big enough to get the suit on and help, but we often watch the bees.  She always asks me if the bees are making honey.  I have a suit for my 4 year old and he loves to help.  He likes to help me find the queen and blow on the bees.  Of course blowing on the bees isn't very helpful, but it's fun.  Hopefully we can continue to enjoy this together for years to come.  Hopefully you can share your hobby with your grandson for years to come as well!
Keeping bees since 2011.

Also please excuse the typos.  My iPad autocorrect can be brutal.

Offline hardwood

• Galactic Bee
  • Alysian Apiaries youtube.com/MrBeedude
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2013, 08:43:59 pm »
That's GREAT! That's how I was first introduced to beekeeping and that's how my son (just turned 19 and still helps me out every day) got in to it. He'll end up with the business eventually.

Scott
"In the first place, we should insist that if the immigrant who comes here in good faith becomes an American and assimilates himself to us, he shall be treated on an exact equality with everyone else, for it is an outrage to discriminate against any such man because of creed, or birthplace, or origin. But this is predicated upon the person's becoming in every facet an American, and nothing but an American...There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn't an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag...We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language...And we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people."

Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Offline PLAN-B

• House Bee
  • When all else fails go to PLAN-BEE
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2013, 09:37:57 pm »
This is the exact reason i'm getting in to beekeeping. My son is 2 and my daughter is 8. She already loves helping  with the chickens and goats and i am sure she will love helping getting the frames together and painting the boxes... Don't laugh, but i am sure she will talk me in to a few pink ones... :oops: lol
Marshall

Offline ziffabeek

• House Bee
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2013, 09:55:25 am »
Wow, what a cutie! 

love,
ziffa

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
  • I like doing cut-outs, but I love catching swarms!
    • JPthebeeman.com
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2013, 10:55:42 am »
Awesome!

..JP
My Youtube page is titled JPthebeeman with hundreds of educational & entertaining videos.

My website JPthebeeman.com http://jpthebeeman.com

Offline RHBee

• Queen Bee
  • That's my pooch.
« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2013, 10:26:05 pm »
One of my grandsons live with me. He is 10yrs old and has his own bee suit. He loves to get out there with me and go through the hives. He talks up a blue streak. :) He always wants to see the queen and wants to herd the bees around. He hasn't been stung yet but if he keeps with it it won't be long.
Later,
Ray

Offline AllenF

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2013, 11:01:49 pm »
My kid has ben stung many times, (age 6 now) but he forgets real quick.   I put a video last summer of him catching bees from a swarm with his hand and then slapping a bee on his neck that then stings him.  School of hard knocks.   When he was 2 or 3, he would want to look into the hives and I would try to keep him back as best as possible.   Then I would just put a jacket on him to wear.   He looked like he's wearing a dress.  But he loves to help.  And I love to have him beside me.   :)