Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Reswarm  (Read 1391 times)

Offline brushwoodnursery

• House Bee
    • Brushwood Nursery
Reswarm
« on: April 13, 2013, 06:13:58 pm »
So, I just took the queen excluder off a swarm I caught from my own yard a week ago. It's the first time I left it on that long. Within hours, they were out the door and gone except for a few bewildered bees and the frame of brood I dropped in with them. Did I leave it on too long or is this just "one of those bee things"? I saw them on the front of the hive, then in the air. By the time I walked over they were way gone like they knew where they were going. Interestingly, it was in the direction of the swarm trap I have out about a quarter of a mile away. Maybe they'll be coming back after all.
Jack of all trades, master of none.

Offline rbinhood

• House Bee
Re: Reswarm
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2013, 06:26:57 pm »
A couple of years ago I hived the same swarm 4 times over the period of one week, they only stayed in the hive after I moved them to an out yard about 7 miles from the original location. 
Only God can make these two things.....Blood and Honey!

Offline Bees In Miami

• House Bee
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2013, 01:12:13 am »
brushwood....I say "just one of those bee things".  I did a perfect cut out, caged the queen, and all the bees marched right in.....textbook!!!  Until they decided a palm tree in a parking lot was a better location.   :evil:  They absconded, leaving the queen behind.  Same deal with a swarm removal...had the queen, excluder was on the bottom board, everything was great, until they decided to leave, and again, left the queen behind.   :idunno:  I am afraid bees are bees!  Hopefully they will find your swarm trap to be their desired location!!  It wasn't the queen excluder...they'll leave without her if they choose to!   Best of luck! 

Offline brushwoodnursery

• House Bee
    • Brushwood Nursery
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2013, 09:13:32 am »
If they're in there, I'll try again. If they leave again I might just let them go. Or, I might try them in one of these Top Bar Hives I was just given. Maybe they will stay if the digs look different.
Jack of all trades, master of none.

anything