Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: name of flower  (Read 3362 times)

Offline SgtMaj

• Queen Bee
name of flower
« on: June 19, 2008, 12:12:07 am »
Help, I'm going crazy trying to find the name of this flower my neighbor has... it's leaves and stems are a pale white velvet and it has bright yellow flowers that are on tall stems and make kinda a flat carpet.  I've been seeing several bees on his little patch of them lately, and so thought I should put some in my yard, too.  But I can't for the life of me, find them on google.  Can anyone help me out here?

Offline SgtMaj

• Queen Bee
Re: name of flower
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2008, 03:07:38 am »
If it helps any, the leaves kinda look like a very pale lambs ear (only more fragmented)... still haven't found anything on it though.

Offline eri

• House Bee
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2008, 09:43:16 am »
May be in the stachys genus. I'd start there.
On Pleasure
Kahlil Gibran
And to both, bee and flower, the giving and the receiving of pleasure is a need and an ecstasy.
People of Orphalese, be in your pleasures like the flowers and the bees.

Offline SgtMaj

• Queen Bee
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2008, 10:06:07 am »
Thanks, that pointed me to it just 3-4 pages deep in google... it's Yarrow.

The bumble bees around here are all over that right now.  Wanted to pick some seeds or something up for next year.  Thanks again for getting me in the right dir.

Offline eri

• House Bee
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2008, 10:25:41 am »
Yarrow, and the pink ones are geraniums, I think. I have both. Both are perennial. Yarrow is native in your area; the one in the photo looks like a cultivar. Anyway, plant both in the fall (September/October). They will spread on their own quickly. Buy plants; propagating either from seeds takes a long time. If you can still buy plants now, put them in a semi-shade spot in their pots and keep well watered. This should nursery them over until the fall. Good luck!

P.S. Yarrow makes a great dried flower.
On Pleasure
Kahlil Gibran
And to both, bee and flower, the giving and the receiving of pleasure is a need and an ecstasy.
People of Orphalese, be in your pleasures like the flowers and the bees.

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2008, 11:46:28 am »
Yarrow, also known as Achillea.  I used to have the pink cultivar, known as Cherise Queen.  Yarrow can grow invasively, and is a native perennial.  It stinks!!!  It smells like chamomile in my eyes, and I can't stand chamomile. Now that is beyond invasive, I have yanked out more chamomile than Carter has pills.  Beautiful day, loving this life we all live and share.  Cindi
There are strange things done in the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold.  The Arctic trails have their secret tales that would make your blood run cold.  The Northern Lights have seen queer sights, but the queerest they ever did see, what the night on the marge of Lake Lebarge, I cremated Sam McGee.  Robert Service

anything