Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Big move for my honey bees  (Read 1617 times)

Offline woodsstalker

• New Bee
Big move for my honey bees
« on: April 16, 2013, 10:22:50 am »
Well, today was the day of the big move for my honey bees! I had gone out to the hives yesterday and emplaced entrance reducers. So, this morning at the crack of dawn I had the pick up backed up to a convenient spot for loading. Pulling a few tufts of grass to plug the small opening in the entrance reducer, I commenced loading the truck. No problems there. Got em all loaded and headed down the road to the new homestead. Unloading went fine until the 3rd hive. Somehow I tripped up in some sticks or something, lost my balance and down we all went. The hive cover went ajar, the bottom board and hive body got slightly askew which totaled up to a few bees escaping - perhaps a couple of hundred. Now visualize this, I am laying on the ground, no veil, no protective gloves, no bee suit and a couple of angry female bees flying all around me!! Calmly I got up speaking softly to my angry friends. Fortunately no stings. I walked away to let them settle down a bit and commenced to unload the remaining hives, being more careful where I place my feet. All went well after this. After I got done with the other hives I went back over and straightened up the dismantled hive and got it set right on it's stand. Came inside for a pot of coffee and breakfast. Later this morning I will go back out and give each of them a quart of sugar water to pacify them for a couple of days till they get used to their new surroundings. Speaking for myself, I am glad this move is over!

Offline D Coates

• Queen Bee
Re: Big move for my honey bees
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2013, 12:39:39 pm »
Sounds like it went well, until that 3rd one...  Even with a hitch in your giddy up, nothing boosts confidence like a successful endeavor.  Congratulations!
Ninja, is not in the dictionary.  Well played Ninja's, well played...

Offline mikecva

• Field Bee
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2013, 12:43:12 pm »
Congratulations!  :cheer: I was a couard and moved mine at night.  -Mike
Listen to others but make your own decisions. That way you own the results.
Please remember to read labels.

Offline iddee

• Universal Bee
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2013, 01:44:11 pm »
Good move. The fall was insurance that all is well. If it goes perfectly, they all would likely die. :D

Murphy's law.
"Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me . . . Anything can happen, child. Anything can be"

*Shel Silverstein*

Offline woodsstalker

• New Bee
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2013, 01:48:58 pm »
Thanks Guys. I went out earlier and gave each of the hives a qt of sugar water and all seems fine. Bees going and coming.

I recently decided that I needed to find a bigger homestead to enable me to live the life I have always dreamed of. With 16 acres, 4 bedroom house and, as a bonus, huge barn, I can now do all. Not to mention that if the world falls apart like a lot of people are predicting, I will be in a better position to survive!!

You got a point there iddee.

Offline Joe D

• Super Bee
« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2013, 02:18:03 pm »
Way to go Woodsstalker.  They were real nice to you.  Good luck to you and your bees.     Sounds like you have already had good luck. lol

Joe

Offline woodsstalker

• New Bee
« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2013, 08:46:09 pm »
Thanks Joe. I agree, the bees were kind to me. When I tripped and the hive came apart and I saw all the bees come swarming out I almost panicked. But instead I lay there for a few seconds and in a calm voice started a talking to the bees. I could tell by the way they were buzzing around they were really upset - like they were all suffering from PMS. But the lack of motion and the calm voice seemed to work. At any rate, no stings.

An old bee keeper told me several years ago that bees respond to the human voice. If you talk to them in a calm voice they sooth down but if you get excited they can tell the difference and they get excited (or agitated). The old bee keeper - an old gent by the name of Walter Kelly.

Offline tefer2

• Super Bee
« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2013, 09:41:49 pm »
Sounds like you learned what ratchet straps are for now.

Offline Sunnyboy2

• House Bee
« Reply #8 on: April 16, 2013, 10:05:47 pm »
Staying calm in that situation is really impressive. Picturing you laying there with bees boiling out both made me laugh and sutter.  I'm glad that all worked out well.

Offline woodsstalker

• New Bee
« Reply #9 on: April 16, 2013, 10:48:45 pm »
tefer2, if there had been more than just the brood chamber, I would have used straps. But felt confident that using hive staples to nail the bottom board to the hive body would have been sufficient and it would have had I not gotten tangled in some sticks. But, your comment does have merit and probably would have been a good idea in retrospect.

Hey Sunny, being a combat vet I have learned the skill of remaining calm under stressful situations!! LOL :bee: :bee: :bee: