Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Lab Analysis?  (Read 4937 times)

Offline minz

• House Bee
Lab Analysis?
« on: December 07, 2013, 09:18:40 pm »
I had a couple of hives up on a hill and checking on them today found them both dead. I would like to see if I could send in some bees for a lab to see the cause (specifically anything contagious like AFB or EFB) I know that there is a lab that does it but for the life of me I cannot find it in the search.  I am in Oregon and was even wondering if the OSU bee lab could help me out. I find it suspicious that one hive was so heavy I could not pick it up the other was light. Both had baggy feeders on them still full (not leaking).
I also Posted this on the other forum so for those that get their hackles up for that I apologize ahead of time. we are in a solid freeze so I would like to send off the sample while everything is frozen and get results prior to putting this years nucs into them. 
Poor decisions make the best stories.

Moots

Re: Lab Analysis?
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2013, 11:45:42 pm »
Do you not have a state inspector who you would be able to contact for this type of thing?  I know that's how I'd handle it here.

Offline iddee

• Universal Bee
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2013, 12:21:17 am »
I think there's one in Baton Rouge, La. and for sure there is one in Beltsville, Md.
"Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me . . . Anything can happen, child. Anything can be"

*Shel Silverstein*

Offline iddee

• Universal Bee
"Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me . . . Anything can happen, child. Anything can be"

*Shel Silverstein*

Offline GSF

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2013, 07:28:09 am »
Have you examined the capping's or done a rope test?
When the law no longer protects you from the corrupt, but protects the corrupt from you - then you know your nation is doomed.

Moots

« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2013, 10:39:50 am »
I think there's one in Baton Rouge, La. and for sure there is one in Beltsville, Md.

Yes, there is a USDA bee lab in Baton Rouge...Not sure, but I want to say there are three nationally,  There use to be 4, but the one in Texas closed a little over a year ago...I know at that time there were three remaining, not sure if maybe they've gone down to two since then or not.

Anyway, the one in Baton Rouge is only about 20 minutes from me, I was scheduled to go to their annual field day this year but the government shutdown caused that to be canceled...But over the last year I've since members of their staff (currently at eight) speak at the Baton Rouge Bee club numerous times, as well as a number of their staff speak at the State convention this weekend.

My point is, I've never heard anyone on their staff, or anyone at either of my local clubs, or anyone at the state convention refer to the USDA lab as the place to go for any type of analysis of ones personal bees.

While it seems "logical"....I don't think the USDA Bee labs would be where you would go to get that done.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2013, 12:30:42 pm by Moots »

Offline minz

• House Bee
« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2013, 03:26:01 pm »
I did send two samples off to Beltsville and it has been received as of yesterday.  The bees I sent in were the ones dead on the frames in the brood area.  I have the hives in the back of the truck, the bees can get into the canopy but not out of if it is bad.  I thought the rope test was only for dead brood? I have no brood that I can find.  I did find white, almost pellet like things in some cells that I have not seen before. Any ideas as to what that may be? Worst thing would be I wasted $5 on shipping and a buck on alcohol

Offline Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2013, 04:05:04 pm »
might those pellet like things have been chalkbrood?  pictures?   ;)
« Last Edit: December 12, 2013, 10:40:22 pm by kathyp »
Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

Offline tjc1

• Field Bee
« Reply #8 on: December 12, 2013, 10:24:41 pm »
I suppose the alcohol was for drowning your sorrows...? (don't mean to be a wise guy, it just struck me as funny...)

Offline iddee

• Universal Bee
« Reply #9 on: December 12, 2013, 10:47:11 pm »
Moots, I don't know about Baton Rouge, but Beltsville does definitely test hobbyists bees for disease. Ask you contacts if B. R. does, and report back here. 

Minz, you will get a report back.

*Shel Silverstein*

Moots

« Reply #10 on: December 12, 2013, 10:54:23 pm »
Moots, I don't know about Baton Rouge, but Beltsville does definitely test hobbyists bees for disease. Ask you contacts if B. R. does, and report back here. 

Minz, you will get a report back.

Interesting...I'll ask around at next months Bee meeting in BR and post what I find out.

Offline Vance G

• Queen Bee
« Reply #11 on: December 12, 2013, 11:12:11 pm »
I sent a sample to Beltsville two years ago and within 3-4 weeks the results came back.  I just found a deadout and I am sending a sample from it.  There is no charge--or wasn't.[

Moots

« Reply #12 on: December 12, 2013, 11:37:34 pm »
From what I can find online...Clearly this is a primary function and service of the Beltsville Lab.

LINK detailing what Beltsville will and will not test for...

NO mention of any similar types of service available at the Baton Rouge location.

Link to USDA Bee Lab - Baton Rouge LA

Or the Tucson AZ location either...
USDA Bee Lab - Tucson AZ

Offline buzzbee

• Ken
  • Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
    • N Central Pa Beekeepers Facebook Page
« Reply #13 on: December 14, 2013, 03:08:52 pm »
Baggy feeders in December may be a cause. You don't need added moisture in the cold of winter.

Offline minz

• House Bee
« Reply #14 on: December 18, 2013, 05:02:43 pm »
Well I found the hive dead on Saturday, Drove the truck up Sunday (ground was solidly frozen), took a lab sample at the same time (no brood for a brood sample except 5 bees), sent it in on Monday and had a report via email by the end of the week. Of the bees I pulled from the cell only one had DWV. The numbers from the report were 12.9 per 100 on D7 and 9.3 per on D13, Nosema was 800,000 per bee. My sample sizes were close to a full zip lock sandwich bag each.  I did not realize that I should have sent in some comb for the AFB testing. Both bags for my feeders looked untouched, one hive had zero stores, one about 50 lbs (maybe one robbed out the other.  All bees were in a tight group and face into the cells like they starved.

Moots

« Reply #15 on: December 18, 2013, 05:58:48 pm »

All bees were in a tight group and face into the cells like they starved.

I thought that face down in the cell (butt's up) was an indication of starvation???  :?

Offline minz

• House Bee
« Reply #16 on: December 23, 2013, 07:09:11 pm »
I think that the cold weather (17 degrees is cold for our Zone 8 climate) for a couple of weeks did not allow them to move off of the brood to the food.  I put on some 2” spacers this weekend on all my hives with newspaper and sugar and checked my remaining nucs. Lost two more nucs and one more hive.  I don’t know if it would have done any good for the ones that I lost. One of my worst so far. 
Update, I had to go back and staple screen over the spacers top entry holes to keep the yellow jackets from robbing them out.  The weather warmed to about 48 and the YJ were flying in the hives so bad it looked like cleansing flights.  I am going to have to do a better job at control of those guys next year.

Offline GSF

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #17 on: December 23, 2013, 09:24:56 pm »
Minz, If I was you I'd commit to finding that yj nest if possible and destroy it. I've found them with the sun about the 2pm angle. Seems it comes in just right to see them flying.
When the law no longer protects you from the corrupt, but protects the corrupt from you - then you know your nation is doomed.

Offline minz

• House Bee
« Reply #18 on: December 24, 2013, 04:53:48 pm »
I got 4 of them on the south end of the berm by the highway about two years ago and have had zero luck since. 

Offline edward

• Queen Bee
« Reply #19 on: December 25, 2013, 08:28:37 am »
How big was the cluster of dead bees on the frames?

mvh Edward  :-P

anything