Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Cyclone Yasi  (Read 4343 times)

Offline Lone

• Queen Bee
Cyclone Yasi
« on: February 02, 2011, 12:59:57 am »
We secured my one and a half hives this morning.
Please pray for the folks in the main firing line on the far north and north queensland coast, and inland also.  It is expected to be a category 5 cyclone still when it crosses the coast about midnight tonight, and has a very big range.

Lone

Offline hardwood

• Galactic Bee
  • Alysian Apiaries youtube.com/MrBeedude
Re: Cyclone Yasi
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2011, 01:03:24 am »
My thoughts and prayers are with all of you...hunker down tight!

Scott
"In the first place, we should insist that if the immigrant who comes here in good faith becomes an American and assimilates himself to us, he shall be treated on an exact equality with everyone else, for it is an outrage to discriminate against any such man because of creed, or birthplace, or origin. But this is predicated upon the person's becoming in every facet an American, and nothing but an American...There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn't an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag...We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language...And we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people."

Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Offline Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2011, 01:38:23 am »
we'll be thinking of you all.  you have had a rough year of it.  please let us know how you all are when you can.
Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

Offline ziffabeek

• House Bee
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2011, 09:58:14 am »
Best of luck.  Stay safe.

with love,

liz/ziffabeek

Offline Geoff

• Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Field Bee
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2011, 07:00:35 pm »
Thinking of you all Lone. Hope it peters out before it reaches the Towers.
Local Area Network in Australia - the LAN down under.

Offline Lone

• Queen Bee
« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2011, 12:35:45 am »
There is great news with the cyclone that so far there are no reports of injury or death, thank God.  The centre of it with the 180mph+ winds went through the least populated area of the coast, Mission Beach and Tully.  There is damage to houses there for sure, but it would have been worse in Cairns.  Townsville was a bit knocked around.  Some areas got 8-12 inches of rain.  We took what precautions we could here not being used to cyclones.  We are in the outskirts of it really with "gale force" winds, not the destructive winds closer to the centre.  They say it is different to Larry because the winds come in gusts and die down whereas Larry blew continuous.  Some places in town have power cut off, and further down our road, but amazingly we never lost power.  The storm surges at the coast haven't reached predicted heights either. There is the odd tree down here over some fences, but not close to the house.  We've had light rain on the winds, less than 3 inches so far.  I think the cyclone is still travelling out west, but the worst is over.  It has been miraculous because it compares in size to Katrina.
And my beehive stayed upright.  And the roof of the humpy stayed tight.
If your geography is not up to scratch, the cyclone path is north of the areas of the recent floods.  In fact, the two disasters nearly border each other.

Lone

Offline bud1

• Heavenlyl Beekeeper
  • Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Field Bee
« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2011, 07:51:45 am »
hi girl; youall getting yo buts kicked. floods with you and fires down there with Geoff. maby old mother nature trying to get you use to Washingtons weather.
Best of luck to you and get out what ever new instrument you done concocted up and play every one a tune, you can be the Aussie Nero
to bee or not to bee

Offline Lone

• Queen Bee
« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2011, 09:08:37 am »
G'day Bud,
That's what they say about Queensland-beautiful one day, perfect the next.
Here are some comparisons of cyclones.  http://www.abc.net.au/news/infographics/cyclone-season-2010-2011/comparison.htm   
The warnings we got and the accuracy were astounding.
Bud, that evening, before we holed up in the house, the old lady asked me to play a song for her, so I got the dulcimer out.  I was thinking then of fetching the fiddle, but those thoughts of Nero kept entering my head.
Anyway, I see I shall have to practise for you.
Maybe you could have Bud 5 or 6 in Washington State?
Lone

Offline Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2011, 11:17:53 am »
but those thoughts of Nero kept entering my head.

:-D

so, how did you all come out?  watched the satellite of that thing and it was amazing. 
Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

Offline Mardak

• House Bee
« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2011, 04:02:05 am »
We copped the rain a plenty along with the winds. A few dams burst their baks but thankfully no major injuries, just overflowing tanks and many very rapid running rivers and creeks down our way.

Offline philinacoma

• House Bee
« Reply #10 on: February 14, 2011, 09:52:22 am »
Good to hear you came through OK Lone.

Like Mardak said, it still had lots of rain in it when it made it's way down here.

anything