Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: What kinda pest is this??  (Read 2350 times)

Offline Jahjude

• House Bee
What kinda pest is this??
« on: March 30, 2010, 11:57:06 am »
Found these below capped brood in a couple of cells:Suspect SMB larvae but seeking confirmation

http://img136.imageshack.us/i/beepest.jpg/
I've chosen understanding over knowledge-since knowledge is all about knowing where to find facts and understanding is knowing how to manipulate knowledge...I've also chosen knowledge over beliefs!! We all need to..

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
  • I like doing cut-outs, but I love catching swarms!
    • JPthebeeman.com
Re: What kinda pest is this??
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2010, 12:12:51 pm »
The top one looks like a shb larvae. If you squeeze them and they kind of roll in your fingers, they are shb larvae. They are also much harder to squish than wax moth larvae btw.

...JP
My Youtube page is titled JPthebeeman with hundreds of educational & entertaining videos.

My website JPthebeeman.com http://jpthebeeman.com

Offline Jahjude

• House Bee
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2010, 12:23:03 pm »
Ok thanks much JP,both seemed identical other than being of different size-both were also taken from one cell feeding on a capped larvae.
I've chosen understanding over knowledge-since knowledge is all about knowing where to find facts and understanding is knowing how to manipulate knowledge...I've also chosen knowledge over beliefs!! We all need to..

Offline hardwood

• Galactic Bee
  • Alysian Apiaries youtube.com/MrBeedude
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2010, 02:52:15 pm »
I agree with JP, looks like SHB lavae. They tend to be smaller than wax moth grubs and they taper more at the ends. Time to get your SHB traps in there.

Scott
"In the first place, we should insist that if the immigrant who comes here in good faith becomes an American and assimilates himself to us, he shall be treated on an exact equality with everyone else, for it is an outrage to discriminate against any such man because of creed, or birthplace, or origin. But this is predicated upon the person's becoming in every facet an American, and nothing but an American...There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn't an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag...We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language...And we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people."

Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Offline Jahjude

• House Bee
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2010, 04:11:04 pm »
Yeah Scott,well said.Also wanna experiment with some kinda slotted oil trap at the entrance;one that they'd fall into when crawling out the hive to pupate.Got the hive on a concrete base but read that the larvae will also crawl until it finds soil so will definately have to hook up a few good traps ASAP :thunder: :ninja: