Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: My porch on Monday  (Read 8836 times)

Offline Janemma

• House Bee
My porch on Monday
« on: April 23, 2008, 08:48:36 pm »
We have had 4 days of a winter storm this week and it has been just horrible.  Some Ranchers have said it has been one of the worst for 30 years for losing young cattle.  I don't have my first hive yet so I don't know how it has effected beekeepers yet (the weekend before it was +24c and this week the windchill was -20c)  I thought I'd share this picture of my front porch taken I think on Monday afternoon or perhaps Tuesday morning.....over the last few days anyway......to be honest the last few days have been a little bit of a depressing wintery blur and I am glad the storm is now over and the sun is again shining :) 

Hard to believe it's almost May!

Offline Moonshae

• Field Bee
Re: My porch on Monday
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2008, 09:07:09 pm »
Wow. I don't feel so bad about my 45 degree nights anymore. :)
"The mouth of a perfectly contented man is filled with beer." - Egyptian Proverb, 2200 BC

Offline 2-Wheeler

• House Bee
    • http://www.beesandblooms.org
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2008, 10:11:54 pm »
Nice picture.  It looks like it is too early for that Mosquito magnet, and a bit too late for the Christmas lights.  We get freak storms like that too. Here's one from May 10th a few years ago. The poor trees are choke-cherries which were in full bloom at the time.

-David Broberg   CWOP#: CW5670 / CoCoRaHS #CO-BO-218
Blog: http://beesandblooms.blogspot.com/
My Weather: http://www.leyner.org/
My Flickr Album: http://www.flickr.com/photos/dbroberg/

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2008, 09:25:12 am »
Janemma, I feel for ya, I heard that Alberta got hit hard with bad weather, and this just goes to show what they are talking about.  Don't worry though, spring is on its way, it will be here, just taking her sweet time.  David what a nasty storm for May there, it really does a number on crops.  Have a wonderful and beautiful day, Cindi
There are strange things done in the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold.  The Arctic trails have their secret tales that would make your blood run cold.  The Northern Lights have seen queer sights, but the queerest they ever did see, what the night on the marge of Lake Lebarge, I cremated Sam McGee.  Robert Service

Offline jimmy

• House Bee
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2008, 11:56:47 pm »
Janemma: Have you considered moving south? He He. It's been in the 90's in south Louisiana.
At that rate our summer will be over b-4 yours starts.

But we ,of-course have to worry about hurracanes until November.

Offline beemaster

• Site Founder
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Bee
  • It is my pleasure to bring the forums to you.
    • http://www.beemaster.com
« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2008, 12:46:21 am »
These are surrealistic, ecspecially being nearly May - wow.

Here I am wallowing over my 80ft square back yard, and I see out your front which could go on for miles - nice even in the snow.
NJBeemaster my YOUTUBE Video Collection

Please enjoy the forum, and if it has helped you in any way, we hope that a small donation can be made to support our FULLY member supported forum. You will never see advertisements here, and that is because of the generous members who have made our forum possible. We are in our second decade as a beekeeping forum and all thanks to member support. At the top right of every page is a donations link. Please help if you can.

Offline Janemma

• House Bee
« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2008, 01:55:29 pm »
Janemma: Have you considered moving south? He He. It's been in the 90's in south Louisiana.

Trust me - we consider moving south every single day ;) 

Our plan is to be south of the border within three years :) 

We've only been in Canada for 5 years (we're from England) but 6 winters has been 5 too many lol!  It's a VERY beautiful country with some very wonderful people but the winters are just a little (lol) too long for me I'm afraid :) 

Offline Janemma

• House Bee
« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2008, 02:13:34 pm »
These are surrealistic, ecspecially being nearly May - wow.

Here I am wallowing over my 80ft square back yard, and I see out your front which could go on for miles - nice even in the snow.

Oh don't get me wrong - when we aren't in the middle of a winter storm I love where we live - we have 16 acres and it's beautiful.  I just wish our summers were longer than a week (ok I'm joking lol they're two weeks!!!!)  sigh!

They say something like 'Alberta has 9 months of winter and three months of rough skiing' ;) 

Well it's not that bad lol we do get nice summers but really it's only 'middle of May until the end of August'.  We often get snow in mid September....a few flurries and a heavy snowfall by Halloween.  And snow until Victoria Day in mid May :( 

This is our house in the summer - just don't blink or it will be gone ;) 

Offline johnnybigfish

• Super Bee
    • The World of Johnnybigfish
« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2008, 08:53:58 pm »
Janemma,
That is BEAUTIFUL!!
 I mean, as long as its warm inside, with lites and hot water and electricity. I can almost hear the quietness, along with a piece of wind blowing...I imagine it might be dark in awhile too.
 I suppose you might not see it the way i do as you still have to do chores in this weather.Also, it kind of reminds me of a scene out of a Stephen King movie with some sort of ominous thing going on. :shock:
 At any rate, I'm gonna save this pic!
your friend,
john

Offline Janemma

• House Bee
« Reply #9 on: April 27, 2008, 10:28:48 pm »
it kind of reminds me of a scene out of a Stephen King movie with some sort of ominous thing going on. :shock:

hahahahahaha  I almost spat my coffee at the screen  :-D  I don't think I've ever had anyone tell me my home looks like something from a Stephen King movie before.  My Son is headed to film school in the near future though so he will be well impressed hahahahaha! 

I guess I should be a little insulted really ;)  but I can't stop laughing :)   

Offline johnnybigfish

• Super Bee
« Reply #10 on: April 27, 2008, 10:57:15 pm »
Oops,...I'm not wanting to insult you!
The summer picture looks like a picture out of a brochure for the "Kentucky Derby"!.... It also looks like a home in heaven!
 You must have a tractor to mow all that grass, huh?
 I like this time of year where i live. Everything is bright green and fresh, and seems to kind of glow near sunset (or sunrise)...Later, it will get soooo hot.... :(
 Everything that doesn't get watered turns wilted and tired looking or turns brown...And it lasts a long time....And when you mow, you get dirt in your ears! (There is a little bit of weeds that grow, so I mow them to keep stuff even)
 Anyways, I like your house in the Winter and Summer!

your friend,
john

Offline Janemma

• House Bee
« Reply #11 on: April 27, 2008, 11:04:29 pm »
Oops,...I'm not wanting to insult you!
The summer picture looks like a picture out of a brochure for the "Kentucky Derby"!.... It also looks like a home in heaven!
 You must have a tractor to mow all that grass, huh?
 I like this time of year where i live. Everything is bright green and fresh, and seems to kind of glow near sunset (or sunrise)...Later, it will get soooo hot.... :(
 Everything that doesn't get watered turns wilted and tired looking or turns brown...And it lasts a long time....And when you mow, you get dirt in your ears! (There is a little bit of weeds that grow, so I mow them to keep stuff even)
 Anyways, I like your house in the Winter and Summer!

your friend,
john

Lol I was just kidding about being insulted - my DH saw your other post about the rabbit ears and said he now understands the Stephen King comment a little more ;) 

He doesn't like this house much - he calls it the money pit and mutters under his breath a lot ;)

Offline johnnybigfish

• Super Bee
« Reply #12 on: April 27, 2008, 11:34:04 pm »
Me and him should get together and make muttering music together!
 Any you and my wife could get together and compare husband notes!

your friend,
john

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #13 on: April 28, 2008, 12:43:00 am »
Janemma.  You should move to the Vancouver area.  Vancouver has a climate very similar to many parts of England, mild, moderate temperatures.  Living close to the ocean we get the warm winds that come from the Pacific Ocean, it keeps us pretty nice temperatures.  Alberta and the prairies have the coldest and most harsh winters.  If you don't like cold winters, you guys chose the wrong locale to relocate, but then I don't know your circumstance, maybe there was no choice.  But given a choice of where to live in Canada, pick the southwestern coastal region of British Columbia.  Green grass all year around, can get some freezing and snow, but mostly moderate above freezing temperatures, I love my climate here. 

By the way Janemma, you have the most beautiful house, and like John said, I can almost hear the quietness.  I am a very quiet and reclusive type person, I love my family but I don't like to see my neighbours, and I can't see my neighbours very well because of bush, so that makes me a happy camper.  Have a most beautiful and wonderful day, lovin' this life we live.  Cindi
There are strange things done in the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold.  The Arctic trails have their secret tales that would make your blood run cold.  The Northern Lights have seen queer sights, but the queerest they ever did see, what the night on the marge of Lake Lebarge, I cremated Sam McGee.  Robert Service

Offline johnnybigfish

• Super Bee
« Reply #14 on: April 28, 2008, 09:27:34 pm »
Hey Janemma!
 I can get a picture of a REAL money pit! Its the house next to mine and I can sneak through the trees and take a pic!
It looks nice at first......And the people have a lot of things planned......But I KNOW whats wrong!! Theres a zillion termites! The people spent 40,000$ to kill them and there are still some there!
The A/Cs will need changed soon, as will the water heaters...The roof is falling in, but you cant see it as the owner replaced the sheet rock on the ceiling. And heres a BIGGY! :)...The 5 acres in the back have a major state gas line running through it!..Not just across....But DIAGONALLY!!!...And they cant build anything closer than 100 ft to it!..Which means their horse barn is gonna be small and the arena wont fit!
 The people are actually friends of mine, and when I saw Tracy for the first time I tried to tell her, in a mild way, That this place is a money pit...I told her about everything except the gas line, which nobody knew about till after the closing..They were prepared to deal with the problems(financially, as they have money...he's an animal Dr.) But the gas line was a curve bal!...Tracy told me that Mike(her husband) is having second thoughts on the place now, but they already closed on their previous house, a year earlier than expected...Oh, yeh....The pool is caving in...I forgot to tell her this.
 Like I said,...If you need help making your husband like your house more, give him this post.....And I can send a pic!
your friend,
john

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #15 on: April 29, 2008, 10:56:48 pm »
John, now that is just a downright sad thing.  That gas line is gonna make their lives very difficult to do what they want to with this land, I feel really bad for them.  They have walked into an enormous can of worms, that is a shame, no ifs, ands, or buts, have the best day, Cindi

Offline johnnybigfish

• Super Bee
« Reply #16 on: April 29, 2008, 11:22:06 pm »
Yeh, Cindi, its a sad deal, huh?
 It wasnt an intentional thing about nobody knowing about the gas line....It just was what is.. After thinking about this (Paul and I ) Paul said he didnt believe he didnt think of this.....Paul has the same problem in his front of his property. The same gas line goes thru his property and all he can do there is mow...Cant build a shop....cant build a barn or carport either.
 The bad thing is, is that Tracy and mike built their barn right behind pauls house since this was the only available area, other than next to my fence, to do it...So,....All you can see out Pauls back window now is a big metal wall of the barn...Used to be that you could see as far as the edge of the world when looking out back of his place.
 I told Tracy that I was looking at the positive side of them building the barn next to my fence....One thing, I wouldnt see much of it through the trees. Another thing is that it would block the north wind from reaching my bees!
 Oh,...Back to the gas line......This is a gas line that doesnt even have a smell added to it yet...So, if theres ever a leak, the gas could go for miles! If it lites, we're all goners from pauls house down to mine, as the gas rolls downhill.
 Every few days a plane follows the gasline to check for leaks( If it has a leak there will be dead grass near the leak)......Paul told me a story about this plane.........
 For several weeks he noticed this plane always tilting whenever going over Tracys house (Years ago, before Tracy was there). So, in passing conversation with the nabors who lived in this house, he mentioned this plane.....The Woman who lived there busted out laffing!!!!. She told Paul that she would lay out naked tanning next to the pool......And every time the plane would fly over the pilot would tilt the plane and she would wave!!!...he would get an eyefull, and she would get a laugh!!
 Well, anyways....Thats all....
your friend,
john

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #17 on: April 29, 2008, 11:37:48 pm »
JOhn, oh what a hoot and a hollar!!!  I bet that pilot got his eyes full, no wonder he tilted the plane.  That gas line stuff is a royal bummer.  And I really feel badly for Paul, I seriously do.  He once had a beautiful view into eternity, and now a blasted wall.  Eeeks.....I couldn't stand that, really.  We used to have a beautiful view of our Golden Ears Mountains from my kitchen window, but the neighbours trees have grown so much that they are gone.  Oh well, what can you do when you live in a shoe, beautiful and most wonderful of these days, Cindi

Offline johnnybigfish

• Super Bee
« Reply #18 on: April 29, 2008, 11:47:20 pm »
Yeh,....thats good, "Livin' in a Shoe"!
 Oh,..By the way...I like the picture of you and your husband in Vegas!!!
 You guys genuinely appear to like each other!
 I'm really happy you had such a good time!
 people I know tell me how much I would like going to Vegas, and probably wouldnt want to leave. I would like to look at stuff there, but thats about all I suppose. I'm doing good just to go to walmart or the supermarket!! Nowadays, thats all the excitement I can handle in public!!!

your friend,
john

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #19 on: April 29, 2008, 11:53:27 pm »
Thanks John, yep, I really do like my Husband, he's my best friend.  He has gone away for a week, and I am already missing him, he only left this morning.  He is in Florida, he took his summer clothes, oh that dude!!!!  Too bad for him that it isn't a vacation, he is on a training course, he probably won't even have time to get outside to enjoy that beautiful weather, it is a "summit" whatever that means.  I think it is like when he was a regional manager for Sony of Canada, they went on 5 day "summits" and he came back so burned out I wasn't even sure that he was human anymore.....

I could only take those 3 days in Vegas, that was enough of people to last me for years and years.  I am not a socialite and I love to just be here, only seeing my family and those jaunts to the store, then home again, home again, jiggidy jig, as fast as I possibly can, to my place of non-strangers, hee, hee.  Beautiful and most wonderful day that we all can possibly have.  Cindi