Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Drone Laying Queen or Laying Worker Hive?  (Read 1497 times)

Offline annette

• Galactic Bee
Drone Laying Queen or Laying Worker Hive?
« on: August 18, 2012, 02:15:57 pm »
Need an opinion please. This hive is 2 medium supers never built up really well all season, but 3 weeks ago I saw a nice worker brood pattern on many frames and open nectar. Felt they were on the right track.

Today I checked and all frames are filled with drone brood. Tons of drone brood.

So my gut feeling is the queen ran out of sperm and became a drone layer, but what do you all think?

Thanks
annette

Offline Jim134

• Galactic Bee
    • Franklin County Beekeepers Association
Re: Drone Laying Queen or Laying Worker Hive?
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2012, 07:34:44 pm »
  I know in New England this time of year it is a lost but yes you can combine.It is the 3nd week in Aug.The 1st frost will bee in about 5 or 6 weeks.

BEE HAPPY Jim 134 :)
"Tell me and I'll forget,show me and I may  remember,involve me and I'll understand"
        Chinese Proverb

"The farmer is the only man in our economy who buys everything at retail, sells everything at wholesale, and pays the freight both ways."
 John F. Kennedy
Franklin County Beekeepers Association MA. http://www.franklinmabeekeepers.org/

Offline annette

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2012, 09:02:34 pm »
Thanks Jim for your response.

I decided to look for the queen tomorrow, if there is one, and squish her. I can get another queen from Sacramento Beekeeping Supply on tuesday. I will also look for multiple eggs tomorrow to figure out if they are indeed laying workers.

I appreciate your help
annette

Offline markfitz

• New Bee
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2012, 09:52:12 am »
hi there just wondering is it safe to combine a queenless laying worker hive, with a strong hive, without any danger to the laying queen in the strong hive thanks
mark fitzpatrick

Offline Jim134

• Galactic Bee
    • Franklin County Beekeepers Association
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2012, 11:53:26 am »
hi there just wondering is it safe to combine a queenless laying worker hive, with a strong hive, without any danger to the laying queen in the strong hive thanks

Their as all way a danger to the laying queen but at has work out for me about 95% of the time in the past 50+ years.

BEE HAPPY Jim 134 :)
"Tell me and I'll forget,show me and I may  remember,involve me and I'll understand"
        Chinese Proverb

"The farmer is the only man in our economy who buys everything at retail, sells everything at wholesale, and pays the freight both ways."
 John F. Kennedy
Franklin County Beekeepers Association MA. http://www.franklinmabeekeepers.org/

anything