Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: shooting with the kids  (Read 5291 times)

Offline Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
shooting with the kids
« on: June 30, 2010, 11:23:04 am »

most of the time i hate posting pics of kids, but this one was cute and from the back  :-)

my brother took the kids, and my English, gun phobic, BIL shooting.  kids had a great time.  last i heard, BIL was nursing a sore shoulder  :evil:
« Last Edit: June 30, 2010, 08:44:45 pm by kathyp »
Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

Offline Shawn

• Queen Bee
Re: shooting with the kids
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2010, 12:30:43 pm »
Nice. I think it is important for all kids to go out and shoot and to know gun safety. It seems so many parents these days tell their kids guns are dangerous and wont allow any guns in their houses.

Offline harvey

• House Bee
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2010, 12:39:09 pm »
I think it is a great thing to expose children to guns.  Take the curiosity out of the equation by letting them shoot when young.  Teach them safety but not that guns are taboo.  My father kept telling me I wasn't old enough when I was really curious about his pistol.  First time home alone I checked it out myself.  My children, boy and two girls were exposed when they were around five or six and were allowed to shoot anything they wanted under close supervision and only after learning nomenclature and safety.  They were all also taught that they were all loaded all time even when I never kept one loaded.  They knew how to load and unload.  The two girls lost interest as they were no big deal.  The boy just learned good safe habits.  I have enough property that we shoot clay pigeons occasional out behind the house.  My girls can shoot as well as my son!  Great family time. 

Offline Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2010, 12:44:30 pm »
we learned young.  i remember my sister begging to shoot the shotgun.  my dad kept telling her she was to small.  finally he loaded one shell and set her to it.  after he picked her up out of the dirt, she wanted to do it again!
Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

Offline Shawn

• Queen Bee
« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2010, 01:01:58 pm »
We use to take our kids trap shooting quite a bit but for some reason they just are not into it any more. My son was quite good. He was shooting trap with a 410 shotgun. My daughter usually just shoots .22 calb guns and is not bad for the age of 11. Due to my work they both know safety for guns and in the state of Colorado if you get a hunting license you must take a hunter safety class, which is basically gun safety.

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
  • I like doing cut-outs, but I love catching swarms!
    • JPthebeeman.com
« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2010, 02:51:32 pm »
Gun safety with kids, a good thing. And I always say teach a kid/take a kid hunting/fishing and that's a kid who will stay out of trouble, for the most part.

...JP
My Youtube page is titled JPthebeeman with hundreds of educational & entertaining videos.

My website JPthebeeman.com http://jpthebeeman.com

Offline hardwood

• Galactic Bee
  • Alysian Apiaries youtube.com/MrBeedude
« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2010, 08:31:26 pm »
Kathy, that's about the cutest thing I've seen in a long time! We've always enjoyed shooting sports with our kids and I've got lots of fond memories from it all...keep it up!

Scott
"In the first place, we should insist that if the immigrant who comes here in good faith becomes an American and assimilates himself to us, he shall be treated on an exact equality with everyone else, for it is an outrage to discriminate against any such man because of creed, or birthplace, or origin. But this is predicated upon the person's becoming in every facet an American, and nothing but an American...There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn't an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag...We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language...And we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people."

Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Offline AllenF

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2010, 10:15:26 pm »
I remember when I was that age and got to go shoot.   They never forget the rules that you teach them now.   My 3 year old knows he can not touch yet and some of the gun rules, and soon you might see pics of he shooting.   We did go shoot a 6' rat snake at the chicken pen today.   I think it is good for him to see how people handle guns the right way.

Offline jgaito

• House Bee
« Reply #8 on: July 01, 2010, 10:23:47 am »
i have all the kids over once or twice a year usually July 4th and Halloween.   they get trained first on a single shot 22 or 410 and move up gradually to the bigger stuff depending on their body strength and attention span.  with the cost and availability of ammo i've been limiting the shooting to 22 and shotguns lately.   this is one of my nephews that's been shooting for about three years.  i had the privilege of giving him his first BB gun. (after asking his parents first).  yes, it was a Red Ryder.   :)

Offline KD4MOJ

• Field Bee
  • Bees... Motorcycles... amateur radio...
    • TangleWood Apiary
« Reply #9 on: July 01, 2010, 11:46:04 am »
hey Kathyp... you left puss at home and she is allittle upset.

Kitty

...DOUG
KD4MOJ
« Last Edit: July 01, 2010, 12:10:09 pm by KD4MOJ »

Offline Shawn

• Queen Bee
« Reply #10 on: July 01, 2010, 02:34:12 pm »
Thats a good one KD4MOJ

Offline iddee

• Universal Bee
« Reply #11 on: July 01, 2010, 06:54:21 pm »
Allen, shooting rat snakes is not the "right" way. Rat snakes eat venomous snakes, disease carrying rodents, ETC. while doing no harm to humans. An egg now and then is a small price to pay for the rewards they bring.
"Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me . . . Anything can happen, child. Anything can be"

*Shel Silverstein*

Offline iddee

• Universal Bee
« Reply #12 on: July 01, 2010, 07:01:54 pm »
Beautiful pic, Kathy. I was seven when allowed to hunt with a 410 alone.
"Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me . . . Anything can happen, child. Anything can be"

*Shel Silverstein*

Offline AllenF

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #13 on: July 02, 2010, 12:09:44 pm »
You try and explain not right to my wife.             

And something funny, yesterday when shooting off the back porch, my wife handed me an empty mag from her gun and I gave her one I just filled, and my son pointed and asked us if those were the "chargers"?

Offline Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #14 on: July 02, 2010, 12:16:41 pm »
 has someone been spending to much time on the video games?

Offline AllenF

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #15 on: July 02, 2010, 12:26:38 pm »
No, battery power tools.

Offline qa33010

• Field Bee
« Reply #16 on: July 03, 2010, 11:02:31 pm »
  Good to see.  My kids are great shots, I just don't get them out often enough.  The closest range (indoor) closed and they were only 20 minutes away.  The closest now is about an hour away but I can introduce the kids to trap there.  They want to try out for the school trap team as they get old enough. 

I was introduced during a hunter safety course where we were required to hit one of five clay pidgeon and landed on my duff every shot and finally hit the last one.  Saw it break just before I rekissed the ground.

Great shots!!!
Everyone said it couldn't be done. But he with a chuckle replied, "I won't be one to say it is so, until I give it a try."  So he buckled right in with a trace of a grin.  If he had a worry he hid it and he started to sing as he tackled that thing that couldn't be done, and he did it.  (unknown)

anything