15 (6.4%)
51-100
8 (3.4%)
101-200
3 (1.3%)
201-500
4 (1.7%)

Total Members Voted: 0

Author Topic: hive #'s  (Read 31838 times)

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
  • I like doing cut-outs, but I love catching swarms!
    • JPthebeeman.com
Re: hive #'s
« Reply #20 on: July 23, 2007, 01:44:34 am »
Numbers vary, some swarm, I've had a few taken over by wax moth. I have 15 right now that are strong and healthy.
My Youtube page is titled JPthebeeman with hundreds of educational & entertaining videos.

My website JPthebeeman.com http://jpthebeeman.com

Offline pdmattox

• Queen Bee
    • October bend Rv Park
« Reply #21 on: July 23, 2007, 05:22:48 pm »
Numbers vary, some swarm, I've had a few taken over by wax moth. I have 15 right now that are strong and healthy.

Numbers do vary.  It is amazing how fast they change in either direction. ;)

Offline BAStallard

• New Bee
« Reply #22 on: July 24, 2007, 02:01:50 pm »
I just started this year w/3 hive, all doing good.

Offline Tug Fork Bob

• New Bee
« Reply #23 on: July 24, 2007, 02:20:17 pm »
I started in 1975 and kept bees for 10 yrs. or so, then other things got in the way--jobs, family, moving to another state, etc..  I kept most of my equipment though and 2 years ago noticed a waist-high swarm on a small tree as I was clipping our horse pasture.  I caught them and started looking for information on the internet and found this website.  That got me addicted and I now have 5 colonies all started from swarms.  So I guess you could say 12/13 years but I'm not too sure the 1st 10 years should be counted.
It sure is different now--I think I have learned more from this website than I did in the 1st 10 years!!

Bob

Offline beemaster

• Site Founder
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Bee
  • It is my pleasure to bring the forums to you.
    • http://www.beemaster.com
« Reply #24 on: July 24, 2007, 05:12:33 pm »
I get from the poll that 77% of the members have 10 hives or less - at least those polled. I think 10 is a fair number before jumping up the big notch - not that 8 or 9 hives is easy either.

Sometimes I'm really glad 4 hives maxes me out, where three is a nice looking yard ornimate. My neighbores know of my bees, if they move I wouldn't mind FIRST teaching the new neighbor the benfits of bee and then if they SWORE they had allergies, I'm move the bees to the oppisite side of the house with little sun loss.

Keep thinking ahead and this is a pretty great hobby, if you have good weather too, think of yourself as fortunate. It is VERY DRY MANY PLACES and honey stores are down, even pollen has been effected. Might be a tough year, get them as much room as they need to store honey, it may come late this year.

NJBeemaster my YOUTUBE Video Collection

Please enjoy the forum, and if it has helped you in any way, we hope that a small donation can be made to support our FULLY member supported forum. You will never see advertisements here, and that is because of the generous members who have made our forum possible. We are in our second decade as a beekeeping forum and all thanks to member support. At the top right of every page is a donations link. Please help if you can.

Offline michelleb

• House Bee
« Reply #25 on: July 28, 2007, 04:04:53 pm »
Last year was my first; with a combine I went into winter with 3 large colonies. Now, I've got 10 colonies and 3 nucs, plus an ob hive. Hoping to make a couple more splits in the next week or so.

Most of my colonies are in 8 frame westerns (i.e. semi-deeps) for both brood and supers; still have four in standard 10-frame double deeps. Will keep the latter for the Sundance II pollen traps, and to make nucs to sell each Spring.

The goal? Well, maybe 300 within a few years, but need to start looking for something bigger than an Outback to haul them all... :-P
Pocket Meadow Farm

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #26 on: July 30, 2007, 11:01:37 am »
Michelleb.  Good for you, it sounds like you are expanding your colonies and doing very well at it, yeah!!!!  Good.  Have a wonderful day.  By the way, I love the name of your farm, very pretty.  Cindi
There are strange things done in the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold.  The Arctic trails have their secret tales that would make your blood run cold.  The Northern Lights have seen queer sights, but the queerest they ever did see, what the night on the marge of Lake Lebarge, I cremated Sam McGee.  Robert Service

Offline pttom

• New Bee
« Reply #27 on: July 30, 2007, 09:25:27 pm »
I started in 2006 and have 26 now.

Offline metzelplex

• New Bee
« Reply #28 on: September 18, 2007, 02:29:54 am »
   I have been keeping bees for about three years .I have 42 colonies total . 22 are double deeps ,8 are single deeps ,10 are 1 deep and a 3/4 on top and 2 are double deeps with a 3/4 on top I keep them in two yards five miles apart. I've been reading what you folks have to say for a long time .Thanks for all the experience and knowledge you share with us that are just starting  out .                                                                                   

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #29 on: September 18, 2007, 11:11:30 am »
My hat off to you all that keep more than 10 hives (and you that keep less too, of course).  I have 9 colonies and man oh man, I don't think that I could look after any more.  Been keeping bees since April 2005, and it has been alot of work (fun).  Maybe once I get over the 9 hump, it would be just as easy to keep 20 as 9, but I am kind of leaning to no more than 9 (or 10, or 11, or 12) hmmm...Have a wonderful day, enjoy our wonderful life we live.  Cindi
There are strange things done in the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold.  The Arctic trails have their secret tales that would make your blood run cold.  The Northern Lights have seen queer sights, but the queerest they ever did see, what the night on the marge of Lake Lebarge, I cremated Sam McGee.  Robert Service

Offline annette

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #30 on: September 18, 2007, 12:28:07 pm »
My 2 hives are all that I can handle. Between purchasing the equipment and lifting the heavy supers, that is enough for me. I admire all of you with so many hives.

Annette

Offline Shawn

• Queen Bee
« Reply #31 on: September 18, 2007, 06:17:56 pm »
Just started, well this spring 2008 I will actually start. My son and I will start with 2 but I ight have to do a split right off.

Offline BMAC

• Field Bee
    • http://WWW.OLEMCDONALD.COM
« Reply #32 on: September 18, 2007, 07:41:59 pm »
Interesting thread. 

I started in spring 07.  I had 17 hives last year.  This year I have 30ish.  I say 30 ish cause I will forget one or two and am terrible with actually caring exactly how many I have spread out.  However spring of 08 I plan to increase another 100 or so.

Bees are cool.  I am also considering starting some Mason and Bumble bee colonies. 

again Bees are cool.
God Bless all the troops
Semper Fi Marines!

Offline Bill from NJ

• New Bee
« Reply #33 on: October 20, 2007, 10:20:56 pm »
I started this year (2007) at the age of 50.
I have started with 2 hives. They are now two deep, and are preparing to overwinter.
Next season I will do a split, for a gain of an 2 additional hives (maximum total of 4 hives) for my little suburban yard.

Regards,
Bill from NJ

Offline peggjam

• New Bee
« Reply #34 on: February 19, 2008, 10:27:23 pm »
I'll give this a bump, and comment that I have had bees off an on since 1975.  Had over 100 when winter started, not sure how many now :).

Offline deejaycee

• House Bee
« Reply #35 on: February 20, 2008, 07:37:36 pm »
We started spring 07, so we're just completing our first season now.   

Picked up our first hive the week our son was born - early September, then spent the next month debating whether we should get 3 or 7 more (to make up nice even pallets of four hives). 

By November we had  caught two swarms and decided "darn the torpedoes, full stuffup ahead".. and bought another dozen hives to make 15 total.

Offline annette

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #36 on: February 20, 2008, 11:00:20 pm »
I'll give this a bump, and comment that I have had bees off an on since 1975.  Had over 100 when winter started, not sure how many now :).

100 hives???

Offline peggjam

• New Bee
« Reply #37 on: February 20, 2008, 11:54:08 pm »

100 hives???

Yup :).

Offline suprstakr

• House Bee
« Reply #38 on: February 21, 2008, 10:48:27 am »
Got first packages 2 yrs ago April . Lost one queen and combined , wintered well . Last yr bought 2hives , 2 nukes  , 1trapout and split original hive . Wintering 7 .

Offline Kimbrell

• House Bee
« Reply #39 on: February 22, 2008, 08:16:18 pm »
This will be my third year.  I have four hives at the moment.  I'm planning on expanding to eight this year.

anything