Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Hive blueprints  (Read 9254 times)

Offline patriotgirlie

• New Bee
Hive blueprints
« on: February 17, 2013, 09:21:02 pm »
Does anyone know of  a good website or book with step by step directions on building the different parts of a hive?  I have tons of sassafras  at my disposal and would like to attempt to make my own, as opposed to buying pre-made online...any ideas?

Offline Joe D

• Super Bee
Re: Hive blueprints
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2013, 09:49:44 pm »
There are several places you can find how to build a hive.  I have printed of some,but they are in the shop.  One is beeclass.com, you can go to you tube, there are videos there and here.  I don't know about the sassafras,  but you maybe able to make them out of it.  There are different ways to join the sides together and glues to use and nails, screws or staples.  Good luck

Joe

Offline VolunteerK9

• Super Bee
  • Gamecock fan in UT land.
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2013, 11:22:04 pm »
http://www.beesource.com/build-it-yourself/

It's where I've got my plans to build most of what I have

Moots

« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2013, 11:55:45 pm »
Patriotgirlie,
There's lots of information out there, so much, it's a bit overwhelming.  As Volunteer said, BeeSource has a "Build it yourself" section with some good options.  I also found these plans useful.
KISS Langstroth Hive

Honestly, assuming you're doing a Langstroth style hive, there's just a few key decisions to be made.  First, are you going with all mediums are both deeps and mediums?  Second, 8 frame or 10 frame equipment? And lastly, what type of joint?  Finger joint, Single or Double Rabbet, or butt joint.

Once you know the answers to those questions, you can pretty much adjust any of the plans to fit your needs.

For example, I decided to go with all medium, 8 frame equipment, with a Single Rabbet joint.

I use 1X8's riped to 6 5/8" width.  I cut my short sides to 13 3/4" lengths.  I then put a 3/4" rabbet 3/8" deep on each side of the short boards, along with my frame rest, 5/8" down, 3/8" deep.  My long boards are cut 19 1/8".  I glue it together with Titebond III and staple with 1 1/4" staples.

Just realize that whatever joint you decide on will affect your board lengths....

Good luck!  :)

Offline jmblakeney

• House Bee
  • James
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2013, 11:12:14 am »
There is a guy on Youtube that offers some really good step by step directions like you asked about.
I cant link to his Youtube channel but look for Ryan Bekke's channel.  He has quite a few instructionals there.

Hope that helps.

James

www.youtube.com/watch?v=-mDVebXa2K8&list=PLftIoH83vraHPoaFvGKs5V4Ax9GzbkAfn

edited to add video link: Buzzbee
« Last Edit: March 03, 2013, 05:18:03 pm by buzzbee »
"I believe the best social program is a job...." - Ronald Reagan

Offline jmblakeney

• House Bee
  • James
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2013, 11:31:49 am »
Here is a link to one of his videos building an inner cover.  You should be able to find his channel from the link.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pWjo7ycfTmc&feature=youtube_gdata_player

James
"I believe the best social program is a job...." - Ronald Reagan

Offline LeeMike

• New Bee
« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2013, 12:51:56 pm »
As we are talking about Hive plans I am looking for plans for a Dadant-Blatt 12 frame.. But have not found anything so I thought I would ask here..

Offline BlueBee

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2013, 01:47:18 pm »
I believe user Rail over on BeeSource built a 12 frame box and has some photos.  You could check over there or PM him.  I was going to build some 12 frame deeps this winter, but I changed my mind and will be sticking with my jumbo hives instead.  

A quick google search pops this up for a Dadant-Blatt hive.  

http://beehivejournal.blogspot.com/2010/01/uk.html

If you want to follow the crowd (I never do), then you need their dimensions.  If you’re making a 12 frame box, then who cares, you’ve escaped their thinking.  My jumbos are 11 frames.  If you want to make non standard boxes, it is very simple and you only have to abide by a couple of rules to have success.  

First, you need to make the boxes big enough so you can remove frames.  That means you need a little slop in the design.  My rule of thumb is to make the inside width of the box = to N.8 frames x your frame width.  That gives you 0.4 frames of slop on the ends.  In the case of 12 framer using 35mm wide frames, that results in an inside dimension of 12.8 x 35mm = 448mm.

The only other rule you need to pay attention to is “bee space” around the frames (top, bottom, and sides).  You need 9 or 10mm of space between everything.   For the very bottom of the hive I would go with 19mm gap, less crushing of bees.  I would split the bees space between boxes or else the bees have a tendency to glue the frames to both boxes; making a big mess.  To do that, I would rabbit the frame rests in your 12 frame box down 16 mm if using bought frames.  

No fancy joints in my boxes, just butt joints and glue.  

Offline buzzbee

• Ken
  • Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
    • N Central Pa Beekeepers Facebook Page
« Reply #8 on: March 03, 2013, 05:13:30 pm »

Offline patriotgirlie

• New Bee
« Reply #9 on: March 03, 2013, 05:56:15 pm »
Thank you all so much.  I am putting together quite a list of resources!  My dad is really excited to start building hives and frames.  I can't wait for the weather to warm up so we can start USING them!

Offline danno

• Super Bee
« Reply #10 on: March 05, 2013, 04:41:58 pm »
I have never seen sassafras lumber much less worked with it.  Looking at photos its very pretty wood almost a oak grain.  Is it heavy? 

Offline capt44

• Field Bee
  • If it don't work I'll always think it should have
    • RV BEES
« Reply #11 on: March 05, 2013, 10:52:07 pm »
I also cut my long boards 19 1/8 inches and the short board 16 1/4 for the 10 frame design.
I cut a 3/8 X 3/4 rabbit joint on each end of the short board.
Use a good wood glue and nail or staple it up.
Richard Vardaman (capt44)

anything