Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Crystalized Honey!  (Read 6312 times)

Offline EOHenry

• House Bee
Crystalized Honey!
« on: January 06, 2005, 01:59:58 pm »
Being a 1st year honey harvester, I am wondering why my 2nd batch of honey I extracted about a month after my 1st batch is turning crystalized already and the 1st is not.  It also appears thicker in consistancy than the 1st.  Both are stored in my home at room temp.  Is this the dif in necter supply. :?:   Any thots??
Thanx :!:
I bee a firefighter.

Anonymous

Crystalized Honey!
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2005, 04:08:48 pm »
Probably Goldenrod or something similar.  Smells like old gym socks when they are gathering and curing it.  But it's fine.  Some people leave it on for stores.  Others like old gym socks. ...  bahahahahahaha

Offline Sting

• House Bee
Crystalized Honey!
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2005, 06:30:08 pm »
It could be goldenrod honey.  It is true that the characteristics of the honey, including the speed at which it crystallizes, varies according to the source of the nectar.  It may even vary from year to year, with the source remaining constant, due to climatic differences.  But there is nothing wrong with it.  Many people prefer the stronger flavours of the late honey.
"Where the bee sucks, there suck I." William Shakespeare: The Tempest.

My apiary is about 17 kms. (10 miles) NW (back & left) of this web-cam view:  'See any of my girls?
http://www.parliamenthill.gc.ca/text/hillcam_e.html

Offline ibeecanadian

• New Bee
Crystalized Honey!
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2005, 02:25:07 pm »
my apiary is beside huge feilds of goldenrod. i keep one hive in my backyard that is not close to any goldenrod. i find that my 1st honey flow is mild and takes a long time to crystalize. the 2nd flow when the goldenrod is out does crystalize much faster, and the honey is much darker yellow and has a strong perfume tast. im not shure what the hive in my back yard collects, but its a very mild light looking honey. very tasty.

Offline Finman

• House Bee
Crystalized Honey!
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2005, 03:13:34 pm »
We have in Finland only one plant, which honey does not crystallize and it is fire flower. It comes pure from huge tree cutting areas. Taste is faint and not much color.

Offline Bee Boy

• House Bee
Crystalized Honey!
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2005, 04:30:10 pm »
If you want to use, crystalized honey just imerse the container its in in hot water for a little while or try putting it in the microwave.

BeeBoy
Bee Boy

Offline Jay

• House Bee
Crystalized Honey!
« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2005, 07:25:33 pm »
Hot water is better! Microwave works in a pinch. I have used the microwave to heat honey and it is very uneven at best!! If you can, stick to the stove and a pot of warm water!! :D
By the rude bridge that arched the flood
Their flag to Aprils breeze unfurled
Here once the embattled farmers stood
And fired the shot heard round the world
-Emerson

Offline EOHenry

• House Bee
crystalized honey
« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2005, 09:31:29 pm »
Thanx for the dif replies!  I know that the goldenrod nector is not the problem as the honey was capped before the goldenrod nector flowed.   I know that I can clear up the crystals by heating in hot water, but I have lots  of jars its happening to that I want to give away as gifts and I already put labels on them that will run if wet. I thot maybe the honey might be too new or because it was the first honey out of new drawn out comb. There was a large patch of pumpkins nearby that I know my girls were frequenting. Anyone had  pumpkin honey :?:  :shock:  
Thanx all :!:  :!:
I bee a firefighter.

Anonymous

Crystalized Honey!
« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2005, 12:10:06 am »
Our club had 80 pounds of honey taken in mid Sept. that did the crystals thing real quick also. it was bottled in pint jars (1.5) pounds and labled as raw honey and seems to be selling real well at the nature center for the time of year it is any way at $6.00 a jar.
Just give the honey away as you planed and tell them to heat it in hot water for a bit to make it liquid.
 :D Al

Offline ibeecanadian

• New Bee
Crystalized Honey!
« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2005, 12:42:30 am »
i wonder if it has anything to do with the room tempature its kept in, or the dampness of the room? if you dont want to place it in warm water you could try to microwave it on a very low heat, maybe sture it every little bit? try it with one jar and see if it turns out o.k.

Offline Phoenix

• House Bee
    • http://www.cafepress.com/beeholder
Crystalized Honey!
« Reply #10 on: January 17, 2005, 02:50:30 pm »
Cucurbits such as pumpkins produce very little nectar but quite a bit of pollen, therefore it is not likely that the honey was produced from pumpkin nectar.

As for the crystallization, it is hard to say what nectar source it is from without having it analyzed.  But I will say that temperature is a major factor in the speed at which your honey crystallizes, regardless of the nectar source.  Yes some honeys crystallize faster than others, but room temperature is subjective.  Jars from the same batch will be crystal clear on the main floor of our home, but crystallize if kept in the basement.