Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Beautiful girl.  (Read 7630 times)

Offline Card

• House Bee
  • Ken
    • Wikipedia Photo Gallery
Beautiful girl.
« on: August 11, 2008, 08:09:45 am »
Beautiful girl.
(click on the pic to see the full size image)

OK, so I know beauty is in the eye of the beholder, but she's a Perfect 10 as far as I'm concerned. 8-)

Also, I know there are probably lots of people on this forum who can take better bee pics. I'm kind of new to this whole Macro photography thing (mostly I shoot landscapes and wildlife) but for a first effort, I'm kind of proud of it.
"You will come to learn a great deal if you study the insignificant in depth." - Buckaroo Banzai

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
Re: Beautiful girl.
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2008, 12:45:41 pm »
Card.  Well, I would say that is a perfect 10 too, that image was nothing short of astounding, you took an excellent picture, thank you for sharing.  Beautiful and most wonderful day, love our groovey life!!  Cindi
There are strange things done in the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold.  The Arctic trails have their secret tales that would make your blood run cold.  The Northern Lights have seen queer sights, but the queerest they ever did see, what the night on the marge of Lake Lebarge, I cremated Sam McGee.  Robert Service

Offline qa33010

• Field Bee
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2008, 01:29:04 am »
   Ditto Card!!

That was better than any I have even attempted!  Excellent.  What equipment do you use?
Everyone said it couldn't be done. But he with a chuckle replied, "I won't be one to say it is so, until I give it a try."  So he buckled right in with a trace of a grin.  If he had a worry he hid it and he started to sing as he tackled that thing that couldn't be done, and he did it.  (unknown)

Offline poka-bee

• Super Bee
  • I am NEVER bored!!
    • Darby Farms
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2008, 12:38:10 pm »
Card, she is indeed beautiful!  Great photography!  How did you convince her to pose like that??  Jody
I'm covered in Beeesssss!  Eddie Izzard

Offline Jessaboo

• House Bee
    • Three Little Birds
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2008, 01:13:14 pm »
This is a beautiful photo!

I am sure Howland would like to see it for his new cover - hope you will be submitting?

- Jess

Offline DennisB

• House Bee
« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2008, 08:25:49 pm »
You are right. The beauty is in the eyes of the beholder, and we are beholding that beauty! Way to go Card.  :-D

Dennis

Offline johnnybigfish

• Super Bee
    • The World of Johnnybigfish
« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2008, 09:45:22 pm »
Shes hot arright!!
 Looks like shes wearing a fur coat!

Great pic!
your friend,
john

Offline GaryMinckler

• House Bee
    • Honeybees and Beekeeping
« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2008, 10:15:33 pm »
That photo is awesome!!!

Offline annette

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2008, 12:19:39 am »
No one would ever believe that a bee could have such an angelical look. But those eyes are shining brightly and warmly. Little angel. I have a new desktop photo, once again.

Thanks for sharing
Annette

Offline Card

• House Bee
  • Ken
« Reply #9 on: August 17, 2008, 05:38:36 pm »
Wow. Thank you all so much for the compliments. I was really nervous about posting that pic here where so many honeybee experts could see it - but you guys really made me glad I did!

OK, to answer the questions...

Quote from: qa33010
What equipment do you use?
For the most part I get into wildlife and landscape photography (as you can see on my WikiCommons User page) so I use a Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ50 camera that has a 12X zoom lens built-in. It's a sweet little camera, unfortunately all that zoom comes with a price, which is a pretty bad minimum focus distance - meaning it's hard to zoom in on things that are up close to you. So I've been experimenting with these screw-on auxiliary lenses called diopters, that are basically just magnifying glasses that go over the lens. This shot was taken with a +4 dioptic lens on my FZ-50. They're very finicky to work with, but the results can be amazing.

Quote from: Jody
How did you convince her to pose like that??
She's a little ham. Just lit right up when she saw the camera. ;-)

Nah, I can't take any credit for that. She's sitting on a little lip beside the hive entrance. I go out there in the evening a lot to sit next to the hives and see what my girls are up to, and it's pretty common for a single bee to climb up there and do their little antenna-cleaning routine while everyone else (that you can see in the background) is doing their evening housekeeping around the hive entrance. I just set the camera on the tripod, focused on that spot, and then waited for a bee to climb up there. It's one of the few times they will sit still for a few seconds, which is what made the photo possible.

Quote from: Jess
I am sure Howland would like to see it for his new cover - hope you will be submitting?
I hadn't even thought about that. I guess I assumed he would probably get a lot better submissions than my photo - but I'll send it his way. You never know, right? Thank for the suggestion!

Quote from: Annette
But those eyes are shining brightly and warmly.
I have to admit that the 'warmth' was one of the things I liked the most about it - but I can't take any credit for that either. Due to a lack of morning sunlight on my property, I had to set my hives up to catch the evening sun instead. There was a really nice sunset that evening, and the reddish/yellow light of the sunset is what gives the photo such a warm feel.
"You will come to learn a great deal if you study the insignificant in depth." - Buckaroo Banzai

Offline SgtMaj

• Queen Bee
« Reply #10 on: August 30, 2008, 02:34:48 am »
This is a beautiful photo!

- Jess

That was my thought, too.  Awesome pic, and looks like a perfectly healthy girl, too... not a hair out of place, either.

Offline sc-bee

• Super Bee
« Reply #11 on: September 02, 2008, 12:10:14 am »
>Panasonic Lumix

Got one probably not same model --- was listed in consumer reports as a top pick.

Can't stand it but probably user error.
John 3:16

Offline Card

• House Bee
  • Ken
« Reply #12 on: September 03, 2008, 09:16:07 pm »
sc-bee, I hate it that you haven't been happy with the camera, but if it's an FZ30 or an FZ50 and you're just looking to get rid of it, drop me a PM or something. We might be able to work something out.

They're definitely weird cameras though, I agree with you on that. A lot more complicated than your average point-and-shoot, and a lot simpler than your average dSLR. It's a strange blend, but after working with my FZ50 for 2+ years I've gotten so I really love it.

Offline dpence

• Field Bee
« Reply #13 on: September 11, 2008, 12:01:45 pm »
Extremely cool.  Wish my camera could do that close.  :-\  Nice shot. 

David

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
  • I like doing cut-outs, but I love catching swarms!
    • JPthebeeman.com
« Reply #14 on: September 11, 2008, 01:20:38 pm »
Like the winter scene with the old mining road best and the bee pic with the two fat drones.

...JP
My Youtube page is titled JPthebeeman with hundreds of educational & entertaining videos.

My website JPthebeeman.com http://jpthebeeman.com

Offline annette

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #15 on: September 11, 2008, 01:50:38 pm »
Like the winter scene with the old mining road best and the bee pic with the two fat drones.

...JP

Where are those photos?  Did I miss something??

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
  • I like doing cut-outs, but I love catching swarms!
    • JPthebeeman.com
« Reply #16 on: September 11, 2008, 01:57:17 pm »

...JP

Where are those photos?  Did I miss something??

Here's his Pic file Annette: http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/User:Ken_Thomas

...JP
My Youtube page is titled JPthebeeman with hundreds of educational & entertaining videos.

My website JPthebeeman.com http://jpthebeeman.com

Offline annette

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #17 on: September 12, 2008, 02:06:09 pm »
Oh my gosh!!! How can you pick even one of these when they are all so beautiful.  Ken, please, please, send in a bunch of photos to Howland for his book. Please. You are a wonderful photograher.

He is looking for something joyful. Can you think of a photo that would show joy??

Not sure where I heard this.

anything