Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: View from my Happy Place . . .  (Read 3234 times)

Offline Kris^

• Field Bee
View from my Happy Place . . .
« on: April 23, 2005, 11:25:02 pm »
as I sit in my seat by the hives:

A front view of my setup.

I saw a strange thing today.  The hives on either end of the row are the splits from my hive from last year, the one on the left is the walk away with the queen and the right one is the cutdown with the queen cells.  The two in between are new this year from packages that arrived yesterday.  As soon as I finished inspecting the left hive, something triggered inside.  It had not been very active so far his season, but suddenly there was a flurry of activity there, so much so that I began wondering whether it was being robbed.  But ther wasn't any fighting going on, just more like orientation flights more than anything else.  But I reduced the entrance and over the course of the next 20 minutes or so, the activity started lessening.  Only to be picked up by the hive next to it!  Over the course of two hours, each hive freaked out (for want of a better description) in turn, ending up with my strongest hive on the right:

I don't know what it was that set the hives off like that, all sequentially.  But it was an awsome sight, being among them doing that!  Even though at the time the temperature was in the upper 50s and overcast threatening rain. Having 4 hives is a lot different than just one!

-- Kris

Offline Horns Pure Honey

• House Bee
View from my Happy Place . . .
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2005, 12:28:00 am »
Those pics are great kris! Bye :D
Ryan Horn