Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Freecycle  (Read 4224 times)

Offline BigRog

• House Bee
Freecycle
« on: June 17, 2004, 11:27:56 am »
:D  :D I found this place while searching for something else.
It's a great idea. You post ads for stuff you have but no longer want or for stuff you are looking for. You read other peoples ads contact them and arrange to get your "new" stuff or give away your "old" stuff.
This is the purest form of recycling, reuse! No processing, little or no resources used. I got a HP printer a week ago! Works great! All kind of stuff is posted. Get rid of those old childrens clothes or toys, all kinds of stuff. No one is allowed to charge a fee it's all FREE! :lol:
This is split into local groups.

http://www.freecycle.org/

THE COUNTER:
Number of cities freecycling:      828
Number of people freecycling: 165,144
Welcome!
The worldwide (!) Freecycle Network is made up of many individual groups across the globe. It's a grassroots movement of people who are giving (& getting) stuff for free in their own towns. Each local group is run by a local volunteer moderator (them's good people). Membership is free. To sign up, find your city by clicking on the region on the right. It will generate a automatic e-mail which, when sent, will sign you up for your local group and send you an response with instructions on how it works. Or, go directly to the webpage for your city's group by clicking on your city's link on the left. Can't find your city? It takes about ten minutes to start your own (click on "Start your own" for instructions). Have fun and keep on Freecyclin'!

The Freecycle Network is a project of RISE, Inc., a 501(c)3 nonprofit organization whose mission includes reducing waste, generating employment training, and fostering cooperation between other nonprofit organizations and the public.

RISE started the Freecycle Network in May 2003 to promote waste reduction in Tucson's downtown and help save desert landscape from being taken over by landfills. Freecycle provides individuals and non-profits an electronic forum to "recycle" unwanted items. One person's trash can truly be another's treasure!

How does Freecycling work?
One rule: everything posted must be free. Whether it's a chair, a fax machine, piano, or an old door to be given away, it can be posted on the network. Or, maybe you're looking to acquire something yourself? Respond to the posting directly and you just might get it. After that it is up to the giver to set up a pickup time for passing on the treasure.

Non-profit organizations also benefit from the Freecycle Network. Post the item or items you want to give away and a local organization can help you get it to someone in need.

Who can Freecycle?
As Abe Lincoln once said, "Think globally, recycle locally." The Freecycle Network is open to all cities and to all individuals who want to participate. Freecycle groups are run by local volunteer moderators from across the globe who facilitate each local group - Grassroots at its best!
"Lurch my good man,…what did you mean when you said just now that 'You've got better things to do than run my petty little errands'…….?"

Offline Beth Kirkley

• House Bee
    • http://www.petfinder.org/shelters/GA216.html
Freecycle
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2004, 02:05:18 pm »
That looks really cool. I saved it in my favorites to join up later. I love the idea. I used to live in a small town in Colorado. We had a little local paper where much of the stuff was free, or people would put an ad for what they were looking for. I loved looking through that thing. My mom still lives there, and would love seeing this site too. I'll have to email her about it. :)

Beth

Offline lively Bee's

• House Bee
Freecycle
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2005, 12:54:05 am »
this works out great
Had a good working dish washer and posted it and It was gone in 4 hrs  thanks for the link.

Offline BigRog

• House Bee
Freecycle
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2005, 07:57:46 am »
THe list of stuff I have both gotten and gotten rid of is long. But if you want a bunch of stuff gone, post it and it will dissapear
"Lurch my good man,…what did you mean when you said just now that 'You've got better things to do than run my petty little errands'…….?"