Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Placing a nuc into a medium box????  (Read 4247 times)

Offline Georgia Boy

• Field Bee
Placing a nuc into a medium box????
« on: March 02, 2013, 09:19:29 pm »
I realize when I move my nuc into my hive box I need to place the 5 frames into the box in the same order they were in the nuc and then place empty frames on either side.

The question is, since I am using med boxes, should I go ahead and add a second box at this time or wait a while?

Next question. If I add a box now should it just be empty frames or should I move a brood frame up to the top box and put an empty frame in its place in the bottom box?

Being new I am probably over thinking this and making it way to complicated.  :)

Help please.
"Give it All You've Got"
"Never give up. Never surrender."

Offline Joe D

• Super Bee
Re: Placing a nuc into a medium box????
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2013, 12:49:38 am »
Let them work on filling the medium, when they are a frame or a frame and a half you could put the next brood box on.  I would leave the brood where they are, may move a couple of the honey frames up to 2nd box.  Good luck with your new bees.

I have moved the outside frames in one on the sides if they aren't messing with them, or in other words, switch places with outside and next frames when inside frames are being worked.

Joe

Offline Georgia Boy

• Field Bee
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2013, 12:55:14 am »
Thanks Joe,

Need all the help I can get. :)

David
"Give it All You've Got"

Offline bailey

• Field Bee
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2013, 10:25:34 am »
I run all medium here.  When I switch from nuc to hive I take nuc and center it into the hive body.
If there is any flow on and temps are warm enough I will put an empty in the center of the nuc and make them draw it. 
The other empties are put to the outside. 
The next week if the hive has enough bees I will go back in and this time leave the center comb in place.
Move the two along side the center out 1 space then add empties there. 
This makes them draw the new comb and fill it with brood faster than normal.
Remember that it has to be warmer and a full nuc to start with.
A nuc can be ready for its second hive body in a month if you do this every week when you get your nuc.
Just be sure there  are enough bees covering the frames to tend to the brood as you go.
Bailey
most often i find my greatest source of stress to be OPS  ( other peoples stupidity )

It is better to keep ones mouth shut and be thought of as a fool than to open ones mouth and in so doing remove all doubt.

Offline Georgia Boy

• Field Bee
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2013, 11:16:41 am »
Thanks Bailey,

I find as the day I am to get my bees gets near, I find myself getting more and more scared. :)

I'm thinking, what makes me think that I can take care of Bees?

I realize that I will loose bees.  Everyone does. Just don't want it to be because of my stupidity.

Just wanted to say thanks for answering, what I am sure to many of you are stupid questions. Just trying my best for the bees.

I am very glad to have you guys and gals to fall back on when I need y'all.

It is always good to have someone who has your back when you are new to something.

Thanks again.

David
"Give it All You've Got"

Offline bailey

• Field Bee
« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2013, 12:55:00 pm »
Rule #1. 
Have fun.   

It will fall into place. Relax and don't panic.  If you find something and you don't know what to do then don't!

Better to do nothing and come in and ask us here than panic, make a snap decision make a change and then come ask.

Bees are pretty good at taking care of themselves if you let them.
Bailey
most often i find my greatest source of stress to be OPS  ( other peoples stupidity )

It is better to keep ones mouth shut and be thought of as a fool than to open ones mouth and in so doing remove all doubt.

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2013, 03:52:37 pm »
Is it a medium depth nuc?  If so, I'd put them in the middle with the rest on the outside edges.  If it's a deep nuc, then you need to plan what you're going to do.  Either put two mediums together with the first five frames left out of each and some kind of filler under the side where the deeps will go.  The deeps would then go in the top box and hang down into the bottom box with the spacer under that.  Another option is buy a five frame nuc and cut it 3" tall (or make one that is 3" tall) and set it on one side to make the difference for the deep rather than the medium.  A sort of a 3" shim...
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline TemeculaBeek

• New Bee
« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2013, 08:14:54 pm »
What I did was 1)READ 2)READ 3)READ MORE 4)watch youtube videos

Michael Bush's website has (had) almost all the info in his book! He has a really well developed web page. Well worth the effort of reading it.

I have also read 'complete idiots' and the 'dummies' books for beekeeping. Both are well worth the time to checkout from the library or even to purchase.

I have been reading about beekeeping extensively for over a year. I finally bought a 3 frame overwintered nuc in January. I hived them in Feb. They are doing quite well.

It seems like most other books I have read since reading 'idiots' and 'dummies' have been repeating the same info. But I keep reading. I may learn one tiny thing that was not mentioned in the other books.

So Basically I'm suggesting that you read some more.  :-D

Offline don2

• Doak
  • Field Bee
« Reply #8 on: May 04, 2013, 08:45:37 pm »
Georgia Boy, Remove the "stupid question" syndrome from your vocabulary. ;)d2

Offline Georgia Boy

• Field Bee
« Reply #9 on: May 05, 2013, 11:27:35 am »
Thanks guys,

As for reading and researching, most of my free time is spent doing just that.

Some of the questions I post on here are me seeking affirmation that I have understood what I have read. Kind of a reassurance thing. :) Really don't want to mess the girls up because I misunderstood something.

don2, will do.  :) and thanks.

David
"Give it All You've Got"

anything