Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: the archery thing  (Read 18417 times)

Offline Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
Re: the archery thing
« Reply #40 on: October 13, 2009, 11:12:22 am »
i don't even know how you can compete in the wind!  a steady wind might be manageable, but gusts suck. 

45# is just right i think.  i have had some fun with it, but time has gotten away from me.  we also have had some wind issues.  i need to set up in a better place, but at this time of the year, no place is wind free.  it's going to be one of those years......

as for the building muscle, the draw does not seem to be a problem.  i do some weight lifting, but for toning, not bulk  :-D  that, riding, and farm work, seem to have given me enough strength for this hobby.
Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #41 on: October 13, 2009, 11:38:44 am »
i do some weight lifting, but for toning, not bulk  :-D  that, riding, and farm work, seem to have given me enough strength for this hobby.

Farm girls are tough gals.  Picture the amount of lifting stuff you do, the amount that you use your arms for those things, yep, you should have enough strength from your work as a farm girl throughout your life for that hobby, me too, think I could outwrestle any man in an arm wrestle, providing his arms were the same length as mine, smiling, and a leg wrestle, they wouldn't have a chance!!!  :shock: :) :)  I have extremely strong legs from years of digging shovels in the dirt.  Have that great, most awesome day, health.  Cindi
There are strange things done in the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold.  The Arctic trails have their secret tales that would make your blood run cold.  The Northern Lights have seen queer sights, but the queerest they ever did see, what the night on the marge of Lake Lebarge, I cremated Sam McGee.  Robert Service

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #42 on: October 13, 2009, 08:19:16 pm »
Still, as mentioned, the muscles you use for a bow seem to be muscles you don't use for much of anything else...

The old long bows in England used to be 150 to 200 pounds.  It's amazing what a human can do with practice...
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
  • I like doing cut-outs, but I love catching swarms!
    • JPthebeeman.com
« Reply #43 on: October 14, 2009, 12:11:20 am »
Still, as mentioned, the muscles you use for a bow seem to be muscles you don't use for much of anything else...

The old long bows in England used to be 150 to 200 pounds.  It's amazing what a human can do with practice...

I concur. A very good friend of mine used to own an archery shop. Some of the biggest, baddest musclemen that entered the shop were demoralized when they couldn't draw what the experienced shooters were pulling. There are definitely muscles not ordinarily used when drawing a bow. Particularly, a traditional bow.

...JP
My Youtube page is titled JPthebeeman with hundreds of educational & entertaining videos.

My website JPthebeeman.com http://jpthebeeman.com

Offline SlickMick

• Field Bee
« Reply #44 on: October 14, 2009, 07:44:59 am »
Those big hunks seem to think that it is the arms that do the work but it isn't. If they used the correct muscles (the back muscles) and rolled their arms they would find it very different.

My shoulders are shot and I used 60lb as the FITA competition limit but now shoot 52 lb.

You are correct about the old bowmen of Merry England all those years ago

I was in the UK a few years ago and saw the long bows that came off the Mary Rose... traditional longbows about 2" diameter in the middle.. big bows in anybodies language

Mick

PS Finished 5th in the field today :). Lay day tomorrow and clout (shooting at a target at 200 yards) on Friday. Should be
fun

Mick