Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: super left for winter or not  (Read 2183 times)

Offline bill

• House Bee
super left for winter or not
« on: September 10, 2005, 11:28:06 pm »
I was talking at the farmers market today. someone who has had bees a long time, but who doesn.t work them now, just keeps them for pollination and lets them fend for themselves, said I must leave a full super of honey for the bees for the winter when I take the honey. I had the idea that there was adequate room in the large brood supers to get them through the winter in a place like this where the winters are short , even if not, wouldnt't it be better to feed syrup and rob the honey to sell. I thought I would throw it out here, cause have more respect for your opinions than anyone I have talked to around here. how do you judge, I guess you would look at their stored honey on the inspections and only feed when it is low or just feed anyway?
billiet

manowar422

« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2005, 11:59:06 pm »
I think it's best to leave some honey after harvest, to allow the bees
to move it where they will. Leave them to their instincts and they
will prepare the broodnest for cold weather :)

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2005, 01:11:18 pm »
I would think in Texas you could feed if they ran short.  I don't presume to know how to winter bees in Texas, but two deeps or three mediums is sufficient for a strong hive of Italians here and less for carnis or ferals.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline bill

• House Bee
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2005, 01:49:32 pm »
That is what I was thinking, micheal. This Hive is very strong in numbers but ther guy who gave it to me hadn't looked into it for a real lo9ng time and it survived with two deeps for at least two or three years, in his back yard with no supers so I will rob all the honey and leave it a while,  and watch it . Thanx a lot.  I know I will probably have to feed my nucs . If every thing goes right next year I will have four hives. I know I can sell a huge amount of honey at the farmers market as no one else is bringing it
billiet

anything