Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: MARONG 2010  (Read 3607 times)

Offline Mardak

• House Bee
MARONG 2010
« on: October 10, 2010, 07:34:28 am »
Had car trouble so missed it. Did any of ewes go and what was on offer there?

Offline Koala John

• House Bee
Re: MARONG 2010
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2010, 07:10:11 am »
Hi Mardak,
I went and really enjoyed it. It was my second time there, last year was my first. Given that I haven't been to many, take the following summary for what it's worth - not much!!

Redpaths were there with a big stand. Bob's Beekeeping was there. The VAA had some pamphlets. A supplier of plastic foundation was there with a huge amount of stock. There were a couple of "back yard" people with excess/old things like nuc boxes, tools etc for sale. There was an Ezi-loader or two stall selling very impressive hive lifting equipment.
There was a demonstration of uncapping and extracting more aimed at beginners, the people running it were really friendly and eager to help with advice.
There were sausages and hamburgers and soft drinks for sale. I asked around a bit and finally found someone selling queens, so I bought a few.
There was an auction of used (extremely well used in most cases!) equipment.
I've probably missed something important, but that's all I can remember.

I was surprised this year and last about the low turnout, of vendors and people. I don't know why, but it was incredibly quiet. Is it dying off? I really don't know.

That being said, I think it's hugely worthwhile. Not so much for the equipment you can buy, but because of the people you meet. Some very very experienced beeks were there, all happy to have a chat and offer advice. One beekeeper of 50 years experience told me he had learned something new about swarm prevention at a presentation someone had just put on.

I'll certainly go every year while it is on, and will go to a lot of trouble to get there. I do fear that because of the seemingly low turnout, it may not have a bright future. However I could be completely off track there, I hope I am. It's a real highlight for me, and something I look forward to long before it happens. If you're not a member of a club though, how on earth do you know it's on? I've never seen any advertising  :?

Offline philinacoma

• House Bee
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2010, 08:14:28 pm »
I was not able to go because of how busy I was with my and other peoples (now mine) bees. I have had to take my name off the swarm capture lists because I couldn't keep up with the demand.

I know all of the keeps are active at this time of year as everything is going off, but is that part of the problem?

From what I've heard, the number of backyard hobby beekeepers, around Melbourne at least, is absolutely booming.

More advertising required of the event?

Offline Culley

• House Bee
    • my beekeeping page on twitter
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2010, 08:25:28 pm »
Sometimes the DPI sends us info about courses and stuff. That would be a pretty easy way to advertise to all the registered beekeepers.

Offline Koala John

• House Bee
« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2010, 02:42:56 am »
Yes that's a great idea Cullz. I assume it's a VAA run and promoted event, though I am not a member so am not sure.
It's a good event that seems hamstrung by inadequate promotion, it would be great to see it a bigger and better event that is highly appealing to all beekeepers, both newbies and old hands alike.

anything