Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Digital Scales for Packaging Honey  (Read 4264 times)

Offline bernsad

• House Bee
Digital Scales for Packaging Honey
« on: November 13, 2013, 02:37:32 am »
G'day Everyone,

I'm looking for a good set of digital scales for packaging my honey. I have a small set at the moment but they have a power saving function which shuts them off too quickly. That is, if you're slowly adjusting the final weight, the scales turn off at the most inconvenient moment. Every time! :-x

Can anyone recommend a good brand/model for a small backyard operation?

Thanks.

Offline Royall

• House Bee
  • Yes, snow in Hawaii
Re: Digital Scales for Packaging Honey
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2013, 04:03:36 am »
One my hobbies is baking bread. I've learned to bake using a good digital scale for making a consistent product. I bought this one 4 years ago and still going strong.

http://www.amazon.com/Kitchen-Scale-Bakers-KD8000-Weight/dp/B001NE0FU2/ref=sr_1_31?s=home-garden&ie=UTF8&qid=1384329570&sr=1-31&keywords=digital+scale

It stays on for quite sometime but will shut off after some time. I've learned to just turn it off and on once in awhile. I think they all shut down after so long.
« Last Edit: November 13, 2013, 02:01:04 pm by Royall »

Offline sterling

• Queen Bee
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2013, 01:45:14 pm »
Maybe I'm doing it wrong but I buy bottles that are supposed to hold a fixed amount 1#  1.5#  2# 3# and fill em up. I don't weigh each one em.

Offline Royall

• House Bee
  • Yes, snow in Hawaii
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2013, 02:04:05 pm »
Maybe I'm doing it wrong but I buy bottles that are supposed to hold a fixed amount 1#  1.5#  2# 3# and fill em up. I don't weigh each one em.

I'm still new as fresh paint here, but doesn't honey weight very do to the amount of moisture present in the honey? I've seen weights very when I did a google search go from 1.2#-1.5# in a given container.

Offline bernsad

• House Bee
« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2013, 05:10:37 pm »
Royall,

That one looks good. When you say "will shut off after some time", is that some minutes, or say 30 secs? The one I have currently shuts down after only 20-30 secs being at rest and then takes forever (seems like) to start and tare again to weigh the next item.

Stirling,

I'm not suggesting anyone's right/wrong, I just like turning out a consistent product, without underselling the customer and without giving away too much of my the girls product. I'm only small scale (a few hives), so every drop is precious.

When you say "fill em up", is that to the brim or do you have a fixed line you fill to?

Offline amun-ra

• House Bee
« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2013, 06:01:34 pm »
I am like you only small scale but I do the same I buy plastic jars weigh the first one filled up to the secont thread on the neck of the jar it is a very accurate way to do it after a while. Then check every tenth or twentieth to be sure.Then sell your honey buy the jar not the weight.
Every day the sun shines and gravity sucks= free energy

Offline sterling

• Queen Bee
« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2013, 07:23:55 pm »
Royall,

That one looks good. When you say "will shut off after some time", is that some minutes, or say 30 secs? The one I have currently shuts down after only 20-30 secs being at rest and then takes forever (seems like) to start and tare again to weigh the next item.

Stirling,

I'm not suggesting anyone's right/wrong, I just like turning out a consistent product, without underselling the customer and without giving away too much of my the girls product. I'm only small scale (a few hives), so every drop is precious.

When you say "fill em up", is that to the brim or do you have a fixed line you fill to?

There is a little roll in the neck of the jar or bottle just above the bottom of the lid. And that is where honey judges want it filled to. I don't compete in honey contest but that is where I fill my bottles to because of that. And it is a consistent weight.

Offline Royall

• House Bee
  • Yes, snow in Hawaii
« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2013, 09:16:10 pm »
Bernsad, mine stay on for about 5 or 6 minutes. You can use the back light or leave it off. I usually leave it off to extend the battery life. I've replace the battery maybe twice in the last 4 years. The area you set things on lifts right off for easy cleaning.

Offline bernsad

• House Bee
« Reply #8 on: November 13, 2013, 09:23:04 pm »
Sold. Should I let them know where to send the commission?

Offline Royall

• House Bee
  • Yes, snow in Hawaii
« Reply #9 on: November 13, 2013, 10:59:50 pm »
Sold. Should I let them know where to send the commission?

Just send me a free queen bee!! LOL Just kidding! Glad you like the looks of the scales. I've enjoyed it.

Offline D Coates

• Queen Bee
« Reply #10 on: November 14, 2013, 05:11:48 pm »

That's exactly what I was thinking.  If I weighed each one that would take forever to bottle anything. 

Tomato/Tomahto
Ninja, is not in the dictionary.  Well played Ninja's, well played...

Offline bbbthingmaker

• House Bee
« Reply #11 on: November 16, 2013, 08:09:51 am »
Scales could be very useful if selling cut-comb honey by weight instead of by size.

Offline bernsad

• House Bee
« Reply #12 on: November 16, 2013, 07:44:09 pm »
That's exactly what I was thinking.  If I weighed each one that would take forever to bottle anything. 

It wouldn't take me very long to pass each over the scales between filling and capping, that is of course if the blasted scales didn't keep shutting off. I timed them yesterday and it takes 14 seconds of inactivity before they shut down again, which is a PITA when trying to get a process going.

Offline my-smokepole

• House Bee
« Reply #13 on: November 23, 2013, 10:04:30 am »
I bottle right on my scales. It is a Escali with tare up to 13 lb. worked great till I spilled wax on it doing 1 lb bars of wax
David
My-smokepole

Offline bernsad

• House Bee
« Reply #14 on: November 23, 2013, 06:25:58 pm »
Yeah, I was thinking of doing that. I tried it with the scales I have now but the darn thing turned off while I was still filling. I would have thought they would remain on while the scale was still changing, but no.

Offline my-smokepole

• House Bee
« Reply #15 on: November 25, 2013, 09:13:15 am »
Just as long as I keep using mine it will stay on
David
My-smokepole

anything