Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Bee removal between stone and block  (Read 3620 times)

Offline tngold

• New Bee
Bee removal between stone and block
« on: May 08, 2008, 12:23:36 am »
I have been doing cutouts for the last two weeks,five so far. I got a hard one coming up. It is a split level house with a field stone wall about 36 in. tall with board and batting on the exterier wall.The inside has a field stone wall all the way to the cealing. It has cement block in between. I found the bees entering the wall at the top of the stone under the boards.They have the nest in the inside wall between the stone and the block. I will cone trap them out with a screen funnel. Now I would like to know if I use some bee quick ,blown with a hair drier and a tube to get them moving out could this speed the prosses. My thinking is if i can remove as many of the feild force as possible, the queen will stop laying sooner and this may help to speed things up. Bees can get into the dandest places. Too bad the home owner would not go for the glass hive option Iwould have loved it . :-D
"consistency" key to adjustment

Offline CBEE

• House Bee
Re: Bee removal between stone and block
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2008, 09:33:25 am »
Sounds like your between a rock and a hard place :-D
Sounds like it would work. I think if you put the bee quick in at the opposite end of the entrance it would push them out.
Guess there is only one way to find out ......

Offline DennisB

• House Bee
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2008, 09:43:39 am »
Wouldn't the Bee Quick leave a smell that could work it's way through into the house at any point? Smoke probably would serve the same purpose I think.

Dennis

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
  • I like doing cut-outs, but I love catching swarms!
    • JPthebeeman.com
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2008, 10:57:04 am »
Wouldn't the Bee Quick leave a smell that could work it's way through into the house at any point? Smoke probably would serve the same purpose I think.

Dennis

Beequick smells mostly like almonds, so the odor, most people find agreeable, even if its for a few days or so.

...JP
My Youtube page is titled JPthebeeman with hundreds of educational & entertaining videos.

My website JPthebeeman.com http://jpthebeeman.com

Offline tngold

• New Bee
« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2008, 10:18:10 pm »
I have been getting things ready. I built a stand to set the hive even with the entrance hole. Made funnel and I am going for it this Sat. I dont think the smoke in the house is worth the risk. I live by murphys law! I just want to speed things up. The  entrance is about 20 ft from a swimming pool. The owner is hoping all the bees are gone before hot weather. I am trying this hoping it will work. my other trap outs have worked ok, but does take a lot of time. Got to make sure all the holes in my suit are closed I bet when they come out they will not be happy!A least they were very nice when I looked in on them the first time. Had to pull of some boards to see the top of the combs. I just wish the gap was big enough to put my arm in. Thanks for the comments I`ll try to keep you posted on how this works out with the bee quick.          Jeff

Offline tngold

• New Bee
« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2008, 11:07:20 pm »
Hello all :I tried the hair dryer and bee quick. I didn`t have enough air flow out of the dryer, it did not last long. Hose not big enough so I used the exoust on the bee vac. It did as good as i expected ,but the opening i had to work with was small. I couldn`t get the hose in below the nest. I did manage to remove about a pound of bees. Now i will just have to be patiant and let the cone do the rest. At least the bees were very calm. Didn`t even need a vail. Sure wish i could hive this queen. Compared to last year the bees are doing much better. I have already had more swarm calls this spring than i had all last season. Time to order more boxes . Hope everone is having as much fun at this as i am. Thanks for the comments.   Jeff :lol:

Offline invincible

• Brood
« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2008, 11:44:29 pm »
Bees are really helpful especially in process of pollination. They can help plants to propagate through their exposure to flowers. But an irritated bee is a different scenario. It can hurt humans through its sting. Bees making honey is good, but bees chasing human is different. Beeware!