Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: I think one of our hives has a wax moth infestation, now what?  (Read 3851 times)

Offline Mamichi

• New Bee
We have two hives, one has always been much stronger than the other. Well, we opened them up today and in the weak hive we found evidence of wax moths. There was no queen and hardly any brood or bees. :(

My question regarding that hive is what do we do for clean up? For now we stuck the honey super into a large plastic bag in hopes to kill everything. Will it? What should we do with the brood supers? Shoo off the live bees and put the frames in a bag?

My next question is regarding the strong hive. We saw a tiny amount of evidence of the wax moths in there. I have read that a strong hive should be able to take care of the wax moths. Is that true?

I thought wax moths only were a nuisance for stored honeycomb. I didn't realize they could be a problem for active hives!

TIA,
M

Offline iddee

• Universal Bee
Re: I think one of our hives has a wax moth infestation, now what?
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2011, 05:41:37 pm »
A dark, moist plastic bag will only give them an ideal breeding ground. You must freeze them to kill them first, then seal them in the bag. Or freeze the whole bag. You can set the brood box on the stronger hive, with a sheet of newspaper under it, and they will combine. The hive should then take care of the moths, or bag and freeze it, too.
"Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me . . . Anything can happen, child. Anything can be"

*Shel Silverstein*

Offline garys520

• House Bee
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2011, 06:36:00 pm »
Don't do what I did a couple of years ago as a newbee.  I put them in my basement to clean the frames the next morning, well the frames were so bad the next day I had to throw them away.  The moths are like vampires, they love the dark. 

Offline organicfarmer

• House Bee
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2011, 07:18:34 pm »
Don't do what I did a couple of years ago as a newbee.  I put them in my basement to clean the frames the next morning, well the frames were so bad the next day I had to throw them away.  The moths are like vampires, they love the dark. 
The only difference: moths exist, i have seen them !! :-D

Offline BlueBee

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2011, 11:44:17 pm »
Wax moths LOVE brood comb most all.  It’s their version of chocolate.  They only go for the supers if there is no brood comb to infest.  I seem to recall reading someplace it is the protein in the brood comb that they are really after. 

The natural soil dwelling bacterium BT (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bacillus_thuringiensis) kills wax moth larvae in their early instars, but it not labeled for use in bee hives.  BT is a common organic pesticide used to kill moth larvae on fruit trees.

Online Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2011, 01:06:07 am »
They aren't a problem for a strong hive.  I would freeze all the comb they are not using.  Reduce the hive to the space the bees are occupying.  If a comb isn't covered in bees, I would remove it.  If you remove enough to take a box or two off, remove those.

http://www.bushfarms.com/beeswaxmoths.htm
http://www.bushfarms.com/beespests.htm#waxmoths
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline CapnChkn

• Field Bee
« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2011, 03:00:48 am »
BlueBee, I'm quite sure you've more experience, I haven't had a "problem" with wax moths yet.  I found this on Wikipedia.  I suppose this could be a new thread, but I would like to get the facts.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diseases_of_the_honey_bee#Nosema

It has been reported that exposure to corn pollen containing genes for Bacillus thuringiensis (Bt) production may weaken the bees' defense against Nosema.[5]

I know it will whack the caterpillars.  I have had Horned Cutworm infestations decorating my pepper plants like Christmas tree ornaments. 
"Thinking is like sin, them that doesn't is scairt of it, and them that does gets to liking it so much they can't quit!"  -Josh Billings.

Offline joebrown

• House Bee
« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2011, 04:18:00 am »
I have had plenty of experience with wax moths. They will absolutely destroy a weak colony. I had two weak hives go queenless last summer and I could not get one quickly. Wax moths moved in and wiped them out. I also had Japanese Hornets wipe out a weak hive as well. Some of my first but very good lessons! Just be glad you caught them early and saved part of the comb. They move very quickly and most of my hives were ruined before I knew it. I had to clean them all and put new foundation in every thing.

Offline BjornBee

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #8 on: May 07, 2011, 07:11:26 am »
BlueBee, I'm quite sure you've more experience, I haven't had a "problem" with wax moths yet.  I found this on Wikipedia.  I suppose this could be a new thread, but I would like to get the facts.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diseases_of_the_honey_bee#Nosema

It has been reported that exposure to corn pollen containing genes for Bacillus thuringiensis (Bt) production may weaken the bees' defense against Nosema.[5]

I know it will whack the caterpillars.  I have had Horned Cutworm infestations decorating my pepper plants like Christmas tree ornaments. 

Bt products (and there are many) are all designed to "activate" based on a very narrow ph level inside the intended victims gut after ingesting the spores. Some Bt products kill single larvae of a selected pest while other Bt is more broad based. In lab studies, most Bt products have been shown to not kill bees. BUT......

Does that mean beneficial matter (enzymes and such) are not being harmed making bees more susceptible to diseases not being factored in lab tests?

And if you alter the bees internal gut ph level higher or lower, are you making the bees more susceptible to the Bt product? Some honey (such blueberry) and some treatments (acid treatments) could very well change the Ph level not just in the hive, but inside the bees gut, to allow Bt to do damage.

For something as easily handled through mechanical management, I am amazed at why anyone would coat down there wax with such a product. I know I would not eat Bt straight out of the bottle, yet so many are happy putting in on their supers and inside their hives.  :roll:

www.bjornapiaries.com
www.pennapic.org
Please Support "National Honey Bee Day"
Northern States Queen Breeders Assoc.  www.nsqba.com

Offline Mamichi

• New Bee
« Reply #9 on: May 08, 2011, 09:50:46 am »
A dark, moist plastic bag will only give them an ideal breeding ground. You must freeze them to kill them first, then seal them in the bag. Or freeze the whole bag.

Even if the bag is sitting in the hot Florida sun?

thanks, everyone for the responses!

Offline iddee

• Universal Bee
« Reply #10 on: May 08, 2011, 11:36:18 am »
The hot florida sun will likely melt your wax. The plastic would act the same as a solar wax melter.
"Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me . . . Anything can happen, child. Anything can be"

*Shel Silverstein*

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
  • I like doing cut-outs, but I love catching swarms!
    • JPthebeeman.com
« Reply #11 on: May 08, 2011, 12:13:09 pm »
Hives get wax moths when there is too much space in the set up, usually after they have swarmed. Combine what is left with your stronger hive. Do as M.B. says and reduce some of your boxes to where they are jam packed with bees. Add a box when they are kicking butt again.

...JP
My Youtube page is titled JPthebeeman with hundreds of educational & entertaining videos.

My website JPthebeeman.com http://jpthebeeman.com

Offline wd

• Field Bee
« Reply #12 on: May 08, 2011, 04:55:28 pm »
Yesterday evening opened a hive with signs of wax moth after they swarmed, ran out of time, closed it up and left, I'll condense what's left and look for swarm tomorrow, can't get to them today. I should of paid closer attention, they ran out of space.

Offline Mamichi

• New Bee
« Reply #13 on: May 09, 2011, 10:37:48 pm »
Hives get wax moths when there is too much space in the set up, usually after they have swarmed. Combine what is left with your stronger hive. Do as M.B. says and reduce some of your boxes to where they are jam packed with bees. Add a box when they are kicking butt again.

...JP

Well, this hive did swarm back in March, soooooo..... that makes sense. Thanks for your help!

anything