Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Drones are being kicked out  (Read 5376 times)

Offline Bighead

• New Bee
Drones are being kicked out
« on: June 20, 2010, 09:05:49 pm »
I was checking out the bees today and saw workers kicking out drones. I thought that didn't happen until fall or winter. This colony is getting back on it's feet from swarming and making a new queen.

Would this be the order of things with a new administration?

"He that would make his own liberty secure must guard even his enemy from oppression; for if he violates this duty he establishes a precedent that will reach to himself."
-- Thomas Paine

Offline FRAMEshift

• Super Bee
Re: Drones are being kicked out
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2010, 11:14:19 am »
I would also be interested in the answer to this question.
"You never can tell with bees."  --  Winnie-the-Pooh

Offline greenbtree

• Field Bee
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2010, 02:25:52 pm »
So no one has a clue?

JC
"Rise again, rise again - though your heart it be broken, or life about to end.  No matter what you've lost, be it a home, a love, a friend, like the Mary Ellen Carter rise again!"

Offline Bighead

• New Bee
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2010, 05:12:31 pm »
I guess not. I thought maybe that the flow was slowing down and they would do this, but I have another hive and they are not doing this.
"He that would make his own liberty secure must guard even his enemy from oppression; for if he violates this duty he establishes a precedent that will reach to himself."
-- Thomas Paine

Offline riverrat

• House Bee
« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2010, 10:59:55 pm »
A clear cut case of domestic violence. You should have called the proper authorities
never take the top off a hive on a day that you wouldn't want the roof taken off your house

Offline jhs494

• House Bee
« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2010, 11:27:40 pm »
Two of our hives are given them the boot as well. Two workers draggin them out and throwing them off the porch.

One hive is a swarm capture and one came from a package.

Seems a bit early for this.
Joe S.

Offline hardwood

• Galactic Bee
  • Alysian Apiaries youtube.com/MrBeedude
« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2010, 11:34:20 pm »
There are drones of varying extent all year. The hive mentality chooses how many to keep around and are constantly giving some the boot. They may be older drones, the flow might have slowed, you could have a virgin queen and drones are drifting in...any number of reasons.

Scott
"In the first place, we should insist that if the immigrant who comes here in good faith becomes an American and assimilates himself to us, he shall be treated on an exact equality with everyone else, for it is an outrage to discriminate against any such man because of creed, or birthplace, or origin. But this is predicated upon the person's becoming in every facet an American, and nothing but an American...There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn't an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag...We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language...And we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people."

Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Offline Bee Happy

• Super Bee
  • that's me - setting a phoenix free
« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2010, 11:35:56 pm »
I would have to wonder if it's because the colonies mentioned are trying to get established. Since drones are basically freeloaders maybe they're kicking them out because they're not set up enough to entertain guests.
be happy and make others happy.

Offline weBEE Jammin

• House Bee
« Reply #8 on: June 24, 2010, 12:51:45 pm »
I also have a few dozen drones crawling in front of an exploding swarm I caught this year, and already filling 4 supers! I thought I had lost the queen and had laying workers, but I watched as bees were still bringing in plenty of pollen. I believe nector is slowing down, so the workers (females) are sending the couch potatoe drones to the dog house- outside.

Offline Jack

• House Bee
« Reply #9 on: June 25, 2010, 09:35:03 am »
Several drones crawling about the bee yard could just mean you better expect a swarm tomorrow or in the very near future.

Offline luvin honey

• Super Bee
« Reply #10 on: June 25, 2010, 11:30:36 am »
Are they flying around or actually getting forced out, trying to get back in, then forced out again? Last year, a lot of drones were in an out of their own accord right before the hive swarmed.

If they are getting forced out, I'm too new to know. I would wonder, though, if some hives sometimes end up with more drones than absolutely necessary, or if unexpected weather/foraging issues would lead them to pare down the reproductive ranks to free up some food for the brood...
The pedigree of honey
Does not concern the bee;
A clover, any time, to him
Is aristocracy.
---Emily Dickinson

Offline Bighead

• New Bee
« Reply #11 on: June 25, 2010, 04:44:31 pm »
They are being forced out.
-- Thomas Paine

Offline handymandave

• New Bee
« Reply #12 on: June 25, 2010, 08:49:28 pm »
When I have seen this behavior, and looked closely at the ejected brothers, I found they had mites. My bees, at times, seem to throw unhatched drones out the front door, and most of those I've examined had mites clinging to them.