Welcome, Guest

Poll

Is Beekeeping a FAMILY event in your life?

No. I'm the only one that will go near the hives.
6 (22.2%)
They watch, but from a distance - maybe someday!
11 (40.7%)
I've gotten them to help but rarely. I'm hoping for more.
2 (7.4%)
Everyone jumps in a little and they all have some interest.
5 (18.5%)
It's a family affair for us - we all do bee stuff.
2 (7.4%)
Everyone works the bees here, even our friends help.
1 (3.7%)
I have to wait in line to get at the bees - we're hooked!
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 0

Author Topic: Is your Family also into Beekeeping?  (Read 4889 times)

Offline beemaster

• Site Founder
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Bee
  • It is my pleasure to bring the forums to you.
    • http://www.beemaster.com
Is your Family also into Beekeeping?
« on: March 08, 2004, 09:37:36 pm »
I always put the family spin on my beekeeping site. I have had MANY people tell me that they read my logbook to their younger kids while they look at the photos: that was very cool to hear. Most of the people I know who keep bees do it as a family project - do you?

Whether you are a new beekeeper, old timer or just thinking about starting a hive or two - is beekeeping a family event?

Bee
NJBeemaster my YOUTUBE Video Collection

Please enjoy the forum, and if it has helped you in any way, we hope that a small donation can be made to support our FULLY member supported forum. You will never see advertisements here, and that is because of the generous members who have made our forum possible. We are in our second decade as a beekeeping forum and all thanks to member support. At the top right of every page is a donations link. Please help if you can.

Anonymous

My Kare.
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2004, 07:27:22 pm »
Kare isn't afraid of them and gets to near some times.
She is for ever asking did you look at the girls this morning.
She just doesn't go pulling frames for inspection.
 :D Al

Offline justgojumpit

• House Bee
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2004, 11:52:41 am »
its just me for now, but we'll see if they warm up to it.  my dad is "allergic" (he only gets a little swelling) and my brother and sister are worried about stings
Keeper of bees and builder of custom beekeeping equipment.

Offline beefree

• House Bee
when they are a little older...
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2004, 04:19:11 pm »
my kids are too little to help (1 and 2)...they don't make beesuits small enough!  My husband bought himself a suit, but he has never found the time to use it... if he wants honey to make into mead, he's going to have to help!  Actually, the extra suit comes in handy since the man who owns the farm where my bees are has gotten interested in them, he has used the extra suit to help me with inspection.
My dad has expressed some interest in helping when he and my mom come to visit next week, but my mom says she'll just watch from the car.  with the windows closed.  thank you very much.  she likes to read about them, though, so maybe there is hope for her yet.
beefree
Those who are merciful to the cruel become callous to the meek.

Offline Lechwe

• House Bee
« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2004, 09:33:03 pm »
My dad got me into it and since I got started back up he is getting back into it a little. My wife wants nothing to do with them which sucks cause I don't have the bees at home for that reason.  If they were home I could take much better care of them.

Offline TJ

• New Bee
« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2004, 03:50:16 pm »
My daughter Josie is almost 3 and loves all types of animals. My wife had to chase her down recently because she was making a beeline for my hives. When she caught up to her and asked her where she was going, she replied "I want to see the baby bees". I may have a future helper in the making.

Anonymous

« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2004, 02:44:34 am »
I got my son interested in bees when i started talking about getting a hive or two. Now he gets inro the hives as much as I do and wears no protection at all when doing it. I expect that sooner or later he will get stung on the face or head and will start wearing a veil at least. Then again maybe not.